Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 18, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #196 of 2,566

Quote:

Comparing the 602 to the 3A?  That's like comparing a Corvette Z06 to a '67 Stingray.  The 602 is a downsampling NOS DAC wrt hi-rez files using a specifically shaped filter.  It's a euphonic player, not a technical performer.

Personally I'm curious to hear it but not interested in buying anything from JHA.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #197 of 2,566

Quote:
what I am talking about is additional resolution that allows you to perceive the room space and things I have not heard

Purrin likes to call that inner resolution and inner dynamics.  Very special gear has it, other stuff doesn't.  Once you hear it, you can't give it up.  

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #198 of 2,566
Guys, 3 months waiting time is nothing for such a complex product. Remember that this is a true 5 ways, meaning true 5 bores, 5 crossovers, crazy cabling, in such a small silicon package. A work of art.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #200 of 2,566

Quote:
Purrin likes to call that inner resolution and inner dynamics.  Very special gear has it, other stuff doesn't.  Once you hear it, you can't give it up.  

That is another way to say it!  Do you hear that with the HD800?  I don't with the LCD-2 and didn't with the Tesla T1.

Quote:
Guys, 3 months waiting time is nothing for such a complex product. Remember that this is a true 5 ways, meaning true 5 bores, 5 crossovers, crazy cabling, in such a small silicon package. A trus work of art.

Yes, it is complex, did you look at the pictures!

Quote:
What are the best options if someone did want to import to the USA?

Send it to a friend in Europe (or other country except for the US) and then to you.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #202 of 2,566
To make a long story short, Grzegorz shipped mine direct as well as another head-fi member, but the customs department in Poland started charging Grzegorz quite a bit for items to and from the US, so he decided it wasn't worth it.  Starkey doesn't have the same issue.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #203 of 2,566

Quote:

That is another way to say it!  Do you hear that with the HD800?  I don't with the LCD-2 and didn't with the Tesla T1.

Yes, but only with the right chain that's transparent enough to provide it and drive the 800 at the same time.  Agreed about the LCD2 and T1 or at least nothing upstream has allowed them to flourish like the 800 in the same way IME.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #206 of 2,566
Jan 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #207 of 2,566

Quote:
Yes, but only with the right chain that's transparent enough to provide it and drive the 800 at the same time.  Agreed about the LCD2 and T1 or at least nothing upstream has allowed them to flourish like the 800 in the same way IME.

When I auditioned the HD800, it blew me away, but it was with a very expensive amp/DAC.  The LCD-2 improves leaps and bounds with my Anedio D1 DAC but still doesn't get to the level of the 5-way, and when using the Tesla T1 with the RXP-33, it just didn't do it for me.  The 5-way brings out resolution from the Clip+ that shocks me, and it just gets better with better sources.  I will have to take another listen to the HD800 (properly amped) and compare with the 5-way at some point in time.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #208 of 2,566

Quote:
(cough!) 
ph34r.gif

Since we're on the subject, average_joe, I'd also love to see/hear your comparisons of the SE 5-way vs.:

1) UM Miracle
2) FS MG6Pro

For what it's worth (i.e. very little), I too would be curious to read a comparison between the 5-Way and the MG6Pro. Kind of a battle at the summit between Joe's top choice for a BA CIEM and what is currently, apparently, the top choice for a neutral dynamic CIEM.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #209 of 2,566
God..waiting for 5 way is like waiting for the end of the world...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back