[REVIEW] SoundMAGIC E10, E30, EH11 and P30 – New Magic
Aug 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #16 of 28
Wow...I'm actually quite shocked that the e30s are THIS good.  I just got my pair last week and I've been using them virtually all weekend.  They sound fantastic.  So good, that I'm almost thinking of selling my GR07s.  Yes, the GR07s are better technically, but I really do not think they are over 4 times better than the Soundmagics.  I'm still shocked that I'm thinking this way.  I doubt I'll ever sell the VSonics, but just having a headphone that sounds so good for being 40 bucks is really just surprising to me.  It is simply the GR07s little brother.  They sound so similar (with more low end quantity on the SM it seems).

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
Wow...I'm actually quite shocked that the e30s are THIS good.  I just got my pair last week and I've been using them virtually all weekend.  They sound fantastic.  So good, that I'm almost thinking of selling my GR07s.  Yes, the GR07s are better technically, but I really do not think they are over 4 times better than the Soundmagics.  I'm still shocked that I'm thinking this way.  I doubt I'll ever sell the VSonics, but just having a headphone that sounds so good for being 40 bucks is really just surprising to me.  It is simply the GR07s little brother.  They sound so similar (with more low end quantity on the SM it seems).

How's the fit on them compared to the GR07?

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
How's the fit on them compared to the GR07?

There are pluses and minuses.  On the plus side, you can barely tell they are there...they are a bit smaller and lighter than the 07s and the cable is thinner so it stays over your ear a bit better.  However, the biggest downside is the shallower fit.  I use the stock large tips on the 07s and the large (white) Sony Hybrids on the e30s and they just don't seem like they are in very far.  I tried the bi-flanges that came with them, but those are a little small for my canals, so I'm still on the Hybrids.  They fit, they just don't feel like they are in far enough, but they sound great so obviously they are.  I guess I just prefer the deeper penetration, or maybe it's just what I'm used to.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
There are pluses and minuses.  On the plus side, you can barely tell they are there...they are a bit smaller and lighter than the 07s and the cable is thinner so it stays over your ear a bit better.  However, the biggest downside is the shallower fit.  I use the stock large tips on the 07s and the large (white) Sony Hybrids on the e30s and they just don't seem like they are in very far.  I tried the bi-flanges that came with them, but those are a little small for my canals, so I'm still on the Hybrids.  They fit, they just don't feel like they are in far enough, but they sound great so obviously they are.  I guess I just prefer the deeper penetration, or maybe it's just what I'm used to.

Nice, so I'm assuming they're good for the gym?

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
 It is simply the GR07s little brother.

That's how I felt when I wrote the review as well. It reminds me a lot of GR07.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
Nice, so I'm assuming they're good for the gym?

Haven't taken them to the gym yet, but will tomorrow.  Only thing I'm worried about is the shallow fit and sweat...thus making them fall out of my ears.  The JVC FX67s I've been using are fine for that, but they simply aren't in the same league as far as sound goes.

Quote:
That's how I felt when I wrote the review as well. It reminds me a lot of GR07.

Yeah, I didn't want to completely rip off your initial statement, but the whole reason I even bought the e30s is because you put them in the same sentence with the 07s, lol.  I wanted something that sounded like the 07s but cheaper so I could use them at the gym without worrying about having to replace a 170 dollar headphone.  For 40 bucks, these e30s are simply a steal.  Obviously not as technically detailed as the 07s, but with a little more low end without EQ.  Otherwise, it seems the mids and the highs are pretty comparable (with the 07s pulling ahead in terms of accuracy and extension).  Basically perfect for the gym...assuming they stay in my ears of course.  We'll see soon.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
Haven't taken them to the gym yet, but will tomorrow.  Only thing I'm worried about is the shallow fit and sweat...thus making them fall out of my ears.  The JVC FX67s I've been using are fine for that, but they simply aren't in the same league as far as sound goes.

Nice! keep me updated, I've been looking for good earphones for the gym that was under $50 that went over the ear without memory wire.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
I have the oldest generation of PL30 so the cable is a bit thin. The cable on E30 is a little thicker but still quite soft - more like PL30 on handling and not like the rubber type on PL50 (which has some memory effect).

I have not problem with the cable on GR07. It is not the softest on the world but it secures well on my ear even without the ear guide. My problem with PL30 is more on the nozzle design (angle) and the eartips. E30 is better than PL30 on both.

can you compare any of these directly to the PL30 as i used to have them. I loved the pl30s soundstage, and surprisingly decent clarity in treble, but the bass was a bit muddy and the mids were not as smooth as i'd like.

do any of soundmagic's newer offerings beat the PL30 or improve upon its sound signature?

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
can you compare any of these directly to the PL30 as i used to have them. I loved the pl30s soundstage, and surprisingly decent clarity in treble, but the bass was a bit muddy and the mids were not as smooth as i'd like.

do any of soundmagic's newer offerings beat the PL30 or improve upon its sound signature?

Well, neither of the new IEM (E10 and E30) share PL30's sound signature, but the good news is they all sound better than PL30. Check out the Concise Multi-IEM Comparison in my sig.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #25 of 28
So should I upgrade. I do like the PL50's or is it not worth it? I have the HT-21 from your recommendation are they are great for the price.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #28 of 28
Firstly, apologies for the the thread revival, but my VSonic GR06s just failed on me and as such Im looking for a replacement. I keep coming across the E10 and E30s name, and am wondering how they compare to the GR06. I was a fan of the sound signature, but found the bass a bit more recessed and 'weaker' than I would hve liked.

I mainly listen to classic rock, punk rock, metal and blues - but the capability to listen to various types of dub wouod be nice too (something I feel I couldnt do with the GR06s). Bearing this in mind, and from reviews Ive read the E30 would be the closest match in terms of signature, whilst adding a little bit to the bass - is this something you'd be inclined to agree on?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back