[REVIEW] Sony XBA-1 and XBA-4
Nov 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #46 of 172
Is that the same as the ex85lp?  The outside of mine don't have that walkman sony logo...  If so, that is pretty much what I expected, although I didn't expect the treble to be as present as it indicates there, as I feel it is too soft in the treble.  The details are there, but very very rolled off sounding.  However, perhaps the boosted bass results in the treble seeming to be that much further down...

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #47 of 172
Is that the same as the ex85lp?  The outside of mine don't have that walkman sony logo...  If so, that is pretty much what I expected, although I didn't expect the treble to be as present as it indicates there, as I feel it is too soft in the treble.  The details are there, but very very rolled off sounding.  However, perhaps the boosted bass results in the treble seeming to be that much further down...

Yup same thing, except that's the version that comes with Sony Walkman player. The treble is pretty rolled off but the midhighs are forward and yes the bass would do that. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #48 of 172
So I got mine 2 hours before and I must say that the XBA-4 for are good, but not more. First thing I noticed is that it if you have bad recordings, this seems not to be a forgiving iem lie the IE8. My Laptop could not bring out the best from them, so I tried the T51. Everything sounds great, except the highs, they are a little sibilant.

With what portable device do you listen to these?

EDIT: Trying out the D3 with them, so far so good.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #49 of 172
Remember this is a 8ohm rated IEM, so it does need a source with really low impedance and good current output. I usually use mine with an amp, but Fuze/Clip+ will do the job good enough. Slightly lesser with the Nano 7, though not bad per se.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #50 of 172
With a little trying out the Cowon D3 sounds best to my ears with the XBA4 without amping. With amping, the Fiio E17 makes the XBA4 really sound fantastic. As you said, low output impendance helps a lot with the issues.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #51 of 172
I agree with RAFA, similar to my experience with the XBA-1.  I also agree that the XBA-1 is weak on bass but bass extension improved greatly when I amped them with my FiiO E7, bass level set to 2 or 3.  Even as a set of closed iems, the E7 helped broaden the soundstage as well, not hugely but noticeably better.  Not ideal that the XBA-1 NEED an amp to truely come alive but if you have an amp, try it out.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #52 of 172
Quote:
I agree with RAFA, similar to my experience with the XBA-1.  I also agree that the XBA-1 is weak on bass but bass extension improved greatly when I amped them with my FiiO E7, bass level set to 2 or 3.  Even as a set of closed iems, the E7 helped broaden the soundstage as well, not hugely but noticeably better.  Not ideal that the XBA-1 NEED an amp to truely come alive but if you have an amp, try it out.

Yes it is not ideal, but in that moment I was positively surprised :). Though it is interesting, that the iBasso D10 does not sound good with the E17. Probably the opamp inside is not suitable for this iem.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #53 of 172
Mike from Headfonia had a positive result with portaphile 627, I am saving for that, this will be my last attempt at XBA-4. If that amp does not make it sound good I will sell it. I still dont know why i am putting myself through all.

As far as the amp goes it does not look at all like a 500 dollar amp! http://www.headfonia.com/possibly-the-best-the-627/

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #54 of 172
A $500 solution to a $300 question doesn't make a lot of sense to me, to be honest.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #56 of 172
The XBA-4 are the IEM-equivalent of the Ultrasone Pro 900. Positive over the Pro 900 (if one should ever compare them) are the highs. They are not sharp. In fact they are on the edge of being so. That gives the XBAs some kind of sparcle. Soundstage is somewhere around 65% of the "soundstage" you get from the Sennheisr IE8. This somewhat negative over the Pro 900 when comparing them again (Pro 900 Soundstage is in another league).

Have you also seen this sticker on the XBA box:

Minimum rating of those Sony Daps do not go below 16Ohm and they probably do not have the power.

@audionewbi: you can try the E17. To my ears it sounds great. Would you tell what you explicitely do not like about them?

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #58 of 172
This is all getting so confusing.  There are simply too many options with no way to really know what I'm getting without hearing them.  Are there any websites that would actually be willing to send me 4 or 5 different pairs to test and return all but the one I decide to keep?  Ugh....

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #59 of 172
Great review ClieOS! Thanks. Too bad those Sony Malaysia punks didn't also give you an xba-3 to try out, because it would have been interesting to get your take on them!

Cheers

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #60 of 172
I did audition a pair of XBA-3 in a store before, just not enough to write much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back