[REVIEW] Sony XBA-1 and XBA-4
Jan 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #166 of 172
Which has the better sound signautre, comfort and build quality between xba1 and westone um1?

I have both, the um1 is definitely the better. Everything including build quality, materials and sound quality.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #167 of 172
Can't agree. I found the UM1s just sounded muddy and not very good at all (in my view) and the XBA-1 (I have the iPhone model) are crisp and clear, albeit a bit bass light (but can be cured with EQ). The UM1s not even EQ-able. And I really did like the UM2, so go figure. I bought the UM1s twice, same result. And I got the XBA-1 for $25 on Amazon, while the Um1s are more expensive.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #168 of 172
The sony for the price is amazing. It does have a better sound stage then the um1, but I do not find the um1 to be muddy in anyway. It's a very mid centric earphones that suits well for wide genre of music. The xba1 on the other hand is great for vocal and jazz, however it will not provide enough bass for hip pops. The build quality is also not as good as the westone. I tend to prefer over the ear design. For around $50, creative aurvana 3 is unbeatable.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #169 of 172
I just got the XBA 4ip on ebay for $199 AUD. Did I get a good deal? It says "for iphone only". Does it have a normal minijack?

Really waiting for the 3H to come down in price. Cheapest I've seen so far is $420

*edit- oh bummer- just saw the screenshots for Harvey Norman

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #170 of 172
Thanks for the review. I just bought the XBA-1 after reading up on these to replace my CX-300 II which died when I tripped and fell last week!

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #171 of 172
My XBA-1 just died on me after a year and half. The right ear went out as it's expected since there's no joint relief on them at all. They are great for $35.

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #172 of 172
Sorry for brining back an ancient thread lol. I've owned the Sony XBA-1 for some time and must admit it was one of those ones i gave up on quite quickly due to lack of bass impact and boring sound (and pretty horrible microphonic cable). I used the Sony hybrids that came with them, your traditional silicon and even Final e-tips (which to be fair gave some lovely vocals), but they went in the box and stayed there. I recently went to sell them, but tried the wide bores that come with FIIO FD1 and FH3 on them... and now I can't put them down. honestly, they're one of the best sounding earphones I've ever heard. Yeah, sub bass isn't their speciality - but with the wide bores it has enough impact and can reach good sub levels and it is great quality - but the mids and treble are near perfect for me. I don't think I've had a more naturally detailed earphone. For an IEM not to be analytical, the micro detail is astonishing. It's made me more interested in the rest of the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back