[REVIEW] Sony XBA-1 and XBA-4
Dec 12, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #77 of 172
I see that you dislike them ... hope you find a better IEM for your taste, for me I only hope that they are better than the TF-10, with a better fit and a good isolation. I know they are not the best quad BA but they are cheap and I'm curious to listen how it pair with the Sony F807.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #78 of 172
Quote:
I see that you dislike them ... hope you find a better IEM for your taste, for me I only hope that they are better than the TF-10, with a better fit and a good isolation. I know they are not the best quad BA but they are cheap and I'm curious to listen how it pair with the Sony F807.

They are very source sensitive, I was going to buy the protphile 627 which apparently brings the best from the XBA-4 but I was not willing to spend 500 on a amp.

I think I might keep it if there is no buyers by friday, I might miss them in future days. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #79 of 172
I cross my finger hoping that the F807 drive it well
redface.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #81 of 172
I received this week the Sony F807 and the XBA-4, here my fist impression on this combo. Both are the top line from Sony, the creator of the Walkman and I was thinking he have to pair well, and I will be short this is the case.

The XBA-4 are now less than 300$, the cheaper 4 drivers in the market if I'm not wrong.

I'm not an audiophile or audio engineer, just an amateur of music and English is not my first language, be gentle with me :)

Source : FLAC
Settings : Clear Bass at 1

I started with a well know song of Metallica "Enter Sandman", the soundstage is large, better than my TF10 and equal to my IE-80. Bass humm great, the drums feel so plain at the same level of the IE-80 if not more, a bassy IEM ! The TF10 are just blown away, nothing to compare.

Following sound was "Nothing Else Matters", the mids are very detailed, more than my IE-80 and similar to the TF-10, a little bit recessed compared to the IE-80. The bass are very well controlled, they never bloated the mids with a very strong presence !

Switching to Muse "2nd Law" album, I started with the sound "Follow me" and god the bass are awesome, with "Save me" I'm focusing on the high, they are crispy and pronounced.

The signature is definitely V shaped, the instrument separation is good and the sense of speed also, less than expected in balanced armature.

The fitting was so easy and perfect for me, they are very comfortable and you forget it quickly, isolation is very good and they look pretty, build quality is very good for this price range.

For me this IEM is a mix between dynamic IEM and BA, the best of both world ? I have to listen more albums and take more time, but at the moment I'm not disappointed at all with this combo and now I'm a Sony fan boy :)

This is probably not the best IEM, I will keep my IE-80 for sure, but for an amateur like me looking for a change in the signature, in this category of price, they are good and I do not regret my choice.

Merry Christmas to all music lover !

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #82 of 172
Quote:
I received this week the Sony F807 and the XBA-4, here my fist impression on this combo. Both are the top line from Sony, the creator of the Walkman and I was thinking he have to pair well, and I will be short this is the case.

The XBA-4 are now less than 300$, the cheaper 4 drivers in the market if I'm not wrong.

I'm not an audiophile or audio engineer, just an amateur of music and English is not my first language, be gentle with me :)

Source : FLAC
Settings : Clear Bass at 1

I started with a well know song of Metallica "Enter Sandman", the soundstage is large, better than my TF10 and equal to my IE-80. Bass humm great, the drums feel so plain at the same level of the IE-80 if not more, a bassy IEM ! The TF10 are just blown away, nothing to compare.

Following sound was "Nothing Else Matters", the mids are very detailed, more than my IE-80 and similar to the TF-10, a little bit recessed compared to the IE-80. The bass are very well controlled, they never bloated the mids with a very strong presence !

Switching to Muse "2nd Law" album, I started with the sound "Follow me" and god the bass are awesome, with "Save me" I'm focusing on the high, they are crispy and pronounced.

The signature is definitely V shaped, the instrument separation is good and the sense of speed also, less than expected in balanced armature.

The fitting was so easy and perfect for me, they are very comfortable and you forget it quickly, isolation is very good and they look pretty, build quality is very good for this price range.

For me this IEM is a mix between dynamic IEM and BA, the best of both world ? I have to listen more albums and take more time, but at the moment I'm not disappointed at all with this combo and now I'm a Sony fan boy :)

This is probably not the best IEM, I will keep my IE-80 for sure, but for an amateur like me looking for a change in the signature, in this category of price, they are good and I do not regret my choice.

Merry Christmas to all music lover !

Glad you like your new combo! Merry Christmas to you too! :)

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #84 of 172
After listening a lot of my prefered albums with the XBA-4 I can say that they sound very well with Electrical and modern music.

The F807 and the XBA-4 pair very good and no impedance problem, bass are very well controled and in quantity.

One problem with this combo is that it highlight the quality of the recording, this for the better or for the worse.
The choice of the artist or sound engineer is plainly restitued, good recorded albums are just awesome to listen.

For me at less than 300$ they are not to bad at all and I enjoy it in a day to day usage.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #85 of 172
Welp...got a pair for Christmas from Dick Smith for the sale price of $59.
wink_face.gif

I've been using the CKM 500's for a month now and are by far my favourite...a few hours of the xba 1...I haven't gone back to the 500's yet!

Not saying the XBA 1's are better but damn...a different sound signature and a very pleasing one at that!

I will give these abit more of a run-in...tried a few different tips from my limited range...found the normal (without foam) tips works best for me.

Damn...if these had the low end of the CKM 500's I would be sold!!!

Very mellow, spacious sound, favouring mid's and high's but not to sharp or piercing.

Has got me wondering about the XBA 3/4...hrmmmmm!!
L3000.gif

Merry Christmas all,

P.s

what do you think????
&

XBA 4's for under $200???

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #86 of 172
I you want a spacious and strong low end go for the XBA-4, in this price range is the only one quad driver in the market ... as I read the XBA-3 is a better all rounder, is more neutral compared to the V shaped XBA-4, also the 3 is easer to drive if you don't have an amp or good source. This IEM's are pushing out a lot of details, I can listen nuances that I have never listen before with the TF10 or IE80.

The XBA-4 need a lot of burning time, that first time I experienced that with a BA !

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #87 of 172
The XBA-3s are 16 Ohm, so are a safer bet out of a DAP or Phone and are less bulky too. 

Good review though. Can't believe I didn't see it earlier.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #88 of 172
The XBA 4 sounds like a go...but I've heard the XBA 3 has melted in to the hearts of some users too!!

Such a tough decision but one I guess you can't go wrong on....?! hrmmmm

Might go have a look at the after Christmas sales...but if anyone has an opinion on the XBA 3 or 4 then I'm all ears!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #89 of 172
Go for the XBA-3 if you don't have an amp to drive them. I find that if you an amp like the Fiio E17 with an EQ function you can tame the XBA-4s to your taste. The XBA-4s are certainly the warmer of the two IEMS. Regardless I think you'll be very happy with either, they're both very capable earphones.

Also if you can spare an extra $17-18, go and order a set of T-200 comply tips from ebay. They really help with improving the comfort of the XBAs. For your reference, the size M (teal) Sony tips fit me well, but with complys I find that the large fit best. So it's a size up from Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back