[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jan 20, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,786 of 3,824
dQuote:
... just too bad they are not 2.1s though. Cuz me loves my bass. :  (

Seriously dude, don't mess with a sub. When it's done right it's MIND BOGGLING but...it's VERY hard to get it right and virtually impossible with the conventional approach used in consumer gear (I've never heard it done right outside of a studio setup). It's almost impossible to get them to integrate properly in terms of  frequency response, time alignment  and phase coherence. Genelec does it all with DSP processing in the digital domain and MAN OH MAN it's something to behold!!!!!

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #1,787 of 3,824
Quote:
@ elephantman a.k.a listenCarefully

You DO get the big ears right????? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,792 of 3,824
The MH1s are the only "budget" IEMs that don't cause me to long for my high-end stuff. The only one under $100, just to be topical.

That's a very good way of putting it. You know they have lots of flaws but... they get the job done in a very satisfying way that doesn't leave you thinking "man I wished I was listening to  (fill in the blank)". 

In quiet listening environments, I find the MH1c to be unlistenable. Every other IEM I have easily bests it in such conditions. The genius of the MH1c is that, instead of a V shaped frequency response, it has a hockey stick shaped response, with only the bass being boosted significantly (and it is BOOSTED!). This makes them outstanding for many noisy listening environments with primarily low frequency noise, since the volume can be increased without making the treble unbearably loud compared to the other frequencies.

Still, any time I use my MH1c, you can bet I've got something much better sounding with me in case I get the opportunity to listen to my music somewhere quiet. The MH1c is like a car stereo for this bicycle commuter, and it performs in that role admirably, better than anything else that I have. But it just isn't worthy of being used at home, lest I find myself wishing I was listening to any other IEM I own.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #1,793 of 3,824
Don't get me wrong, I notice the difference when going from the MH1s to say, the FX700. But I just enjoy listening to the MH1s and I don't mind a lot of bass. I do own stuff by Monster.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,795 of 3,824
Quote:
Still, any time I use my MH1c, you can bet I've got something much better sounding with me in case I get the opportunity to listen to my music somewhere quiet. The MH1c is like a car stereo for this bicycle commuter, and it performs in that role admirably, better than anything else that I have. But it just isn't worthy of being used at home, lest I find myself wishing I was listening to any other IEM I own.

Ok, that's pure opinion. I've got some of the most accurate equipment available to compare it to and I'm actually quite happy to  choose the Sony's for low level listening in a quite home environment . I could listen to my AKG K701s/Dac1 but I don't have to have to and the Sony's do just fine. And sorry, if you are going to dismiss this as just lack of hearing ability, I've spent hundreds of hours playing jazz in a live unamplified setting. I have a very good sense of how things are supposed to sound and chasing the "perfect" IEM is waste of time. 
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I notice the difference when going from the MH1s to say, the FX700. But I just enjoy listening to the MH1s and I don't mind a lot of bass. I do own stuff by Monster.

Duh!!! There are better IEMs.  Everyone gets that and how awesome would it be  if those IEMs actually gave you the same bang for the buck at their price point that the Sony's do? My point is that, at some point you've got to stop obsessing about bass, extension, midrange clarity, presence, air, soundstage, timbre, prat, clarity, frequency response and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...
... and just enjoy what gets a balance.
No IEM is EVER going to get all that stuff right but throwing a ton of cash at it BETTER get you something better. I'm just saying that what the Sony engineers have done, in taking  a fairly limited technology (dynamic driver) and optimizing it for how we "perceive", is a fascinating achievement. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #1,797 of 3,824
I love my MH1Cs which is why the took the time to recable them. If I want nice low end, smooth highs and a decent sound stage I will grab these out the 10 different IEMs I own and listen to them all. BUT my GR02BEs (and are the same price) are better in ever way except sound stage FOR ME and no ones opinion, no matter much expensive equipment they own or their experience with all kinds of equipment or time on stage will change that. Please be sure to prefix your opinions with "for me" as everyone not only hears things differently but also likes different sound signatures.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,798 of 3,824
Quote:
I will post my custom MH1C here later.

Oh man did you do the re-cable yourself??? Extremely interested.
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
I love my MH1Cs which is why the took the time to recable them. If I want nice low end, smooth highs and a decent sound stage I will grab these out the 10 different IEMs I own and listen to them all. BUT my GR02BEs (and are the same price) are better in ever way except sound stage FOR ME and no ones opinion, no matter much expensive equipment they own or their experience with all kinds of equipment or time on stage will change that. Please be sure to prefix your opinions with "for me" as everyone not only hears things differently but also likes different sound signatures.

Man i wish someone was reselling these for like $40-$50 with a re-cable mod. But sadly the prices for them now stock is already that price. :  (  There goes my hopes of a cheap re-cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back