[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jan 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,756 of 3,824
Quote:
Take THAT  sfwalcer 
atsmile.gif

haha, can't say i didn't warn you. But it seems like you are ready for another sub ~ $100 audio beat down!!!

You want iems you got it: The Sony XBA-3 were on sale for $100 and some lucky Canadians were able to get on that gravy train. The XBA-3 is in essence the more refined "Daddy" version of these MH1Cs. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633755/xba-3-overlooked-the-appreciation-thread

The carbon nano tube JVC FXD60/70/80s. All three of them are under $100 but it has to be imported from Jpn since it is not released worldwide. I own a set the FXD70s and they can more than compete with these MH1C's. I got it for $65 shipped from Jpn. From what i have read the FXD80s should be an upgrade to these cheapo sonys, while the FXD70s is a bit more refined than these sonys i would put them on par since it has a more mid-centric focused "audiophile" sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612299/jvcs-micro-hd-line-ha-fxd80-70-60

The new kid on the block, these TDK MT-300's went for a mind blowing price of $5 for our lucky Canadian brothers up North. Some even like them over these MH1Cs. It has received great feedback so far.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640889/surprise-tdk-mt-300-4-97-of-awesome

The new CKN line by ATH, so new all of them has yet been released. There is already some impressions of the CKN50s and they seem to be real winners for ~$54 imported from Jpn.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383-ele-hi-fi-usb-18-dac-pg-328

Even this Sony XB60EX's that is on-sale now for like $35 can probably hang with these MH1Cs, and their big brother the XB90EX no doubt can best these cheapo for around $100 as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_62289_Sony-MDR-XB60EX-GLD-MDRXB60EX-GLD-Extra-Bass-In-Ear-Headphones-Gold.html

So my point is that there are tons great sounding recently released iems but due to lack of worldwide distribution it has been overlooked and brushed off by many. Yes there are lots of audiophile snobs out there that only trust BIG brandnames whom would not even give any of these sub $100 cheapos a chance simply because it is "too cheap" for them.  And to that i say this...................
...........thanks doc, had to steal this from you.
biggrin.gif

And with that, you just got ethered!!!
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,759 of 3,824
To my ears, here are a few sub $100 that performs as well, or a little better.

RE0
RE Zero
Mee A151
Spider Realvoice
Mee CC51
X10

Note, all of these are $60 and up. I think at its current price bracket, the MH1c is hard to beat. Can anyone suggest an IEM within the $20 range? Monoprice?

@sfwalcer, I think I saw the MT-300's on sale and I'll give them a shot.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,760 of 3,824
Oops. Double post. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,761 of 3,824
Quote:
I believe the MH1C generally suits more peoples sound preferences where some of the others in this price range are a little more sound sig specific - but also the Monoprice has almost 3 times as many views as this thread (but I dont like those anyway)
evil_smiley.gif
everyone is always looking for the 'Hidden Gem'

Real gems are rare and seldom come from small companies. Sony, on the other hand, is so massive and has such huge resources (in terms of brainpower) that it occasionally puts out something  that not only outperforms the competition at that price point but, outperforms it's own more expensive offerings. Good engineering goes a long way and sometimes with Sony, it's almost like someone screwed up, and while they weren't paying attention some R&D team goes hog wild before anyone notices and  has a chance to put a lid on them.  

BTW, I've been comparing the Sony MH1c out of an iPhone 5 (full rez files of course) to my Benchmark Dac1/ AKG K701s. Of course the AKGs smoke the Sony but they smoke all my IEMs. What this has revealed are the flaws of the MH1c (and there are many). The true beauty of the little suckers is that, even with their flaws, they are so musical and inviting to listen to that they have quickly become my "go to" IEM for non critical listening. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,762 of 3,824
Quote:
haha, can't say i didn't warn you. But it seems like you are ready for another sub ~ $100 audio beat down!!!

You want iems you got it: The Sony XBA-3 were on sale for $100 and some lucky Canadians were able to get on that gravy train. The XBA-3 is in essence the more refined "Daddy" version of these MH1Cs. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633755/xba-3-overlooked-the-appreciation-thread

The carbon nano tube JVC FXD60/70/80s. All three of them are under $100 but it has to be imported from Jpn since it is not released worldwide. I own a set the FXD70s and they can more than compete with these MH1C's. I got it for $65 shipped from Jpn. From what i have read the FXD80s should be an upgrade to these cheapo sonys, while the FXD70s is a bit more refined than these sonys i would put them on par since it has a more mid-centric focused "audiophile" sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612299/jvcs-micro-hd-line-ha-fxd80-70-60

The new kid on the block, these TDK MT-300's went for a mind blowing price of $5 for our lucky Canadian brothers up North. Some even like them over these MH1Cs. It has received great feedback so far.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640889/surprise-tdk-mt-300-4-97-of-awesome

The new CKN line by ATH, so new all of them has yet been released. There is already some impressions of the CKN50s and they seem to be real winners for ~$54 imported from Jpn.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383-ele-hi-fi-usb-18-dac-pg-328

Even this Sony XB60EX's that is on-sale now for like $35 can probably hang with these MH1Cs, and their big brother the XB90EX no doubt can best these cheapo for around $100 as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_62289_Sony-MDR-XB60EX-GLD-MDRXB60EX-GLD-Extra-Bass-In-Ear-Headphones-Gold.html

So my point is that there are tons great sounding recently released iems but due to lack of worldwide distribution it has been overlooked and brushed off by many. Yes there are lots of audiophile snobs out there that only trust BIG brandnames whom would not even give any of these sub $100 cheapos a chance simply because it is "too cheap" for them.  And to that i say this...................
...........thanks doc, had to steal this from you.
biggrin.gif

And with that, you just got ethered!!!
tongue_smile.gif

Saying something is so doesn't make it so and...

Just because something is higher up in a companies lineup and more expensive doesn't always make it better. One thing I learned a LONG time ago is that a company might have one great product in it's lineup and the rest will be crap. None of the earphones you have mentioned have gotten any attention from IJokerI or ClieOS. That doesn't mean they're no good but they probably don't have that "special" factor that the MH1c's have. I doubt either one of those two guys are audio snobs since they both acknowledge  relatively cheap high ranking IEMs in their reviews. BTW, after combing both lists from those two guys, the only thing I could find that looked like it might even remotely be in the same league as the MH1c (at or near that price point) was he Brainwavz M5. I picked up the microphone version for $35 and promptly unloaded it (not because it was bad but because the Sony was so much better in terms of pure fun) . I've always got my Shure E500s if I want to get serious but even they aren't as fun as the MH1c's. 

No charge for the formal schooling BTW!!!
atsmile.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,764 of 3,824
Quote:
The MH1s are the only "budget" IEMs that don't cause me to long for my high-end stuff. The only one under $100, just to be topical.

That's a very good way of putting it. You know they have lots of flaws but... they get the job done in a very satisfying way that doesn't leave you thinking "man I wished I was listening to  (fill in the blank)". 

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,765 of 3,824
Quote:
To my ears, here are a few sub $100 that performs as well, or a little better.

RE0
RE Zero
Mee A151
Spider Realvoice
Mee CC51
X10

Note, all of these are $60 and up. I think at its current price bracket, the MH1c is hard to beat. Can anyone suggest an IEM within the $20 range? Monoprice?

@sfwalcer, I think I saw the MT-300's on sale and I'll give them a shot.

Yeah do give them a shot, i have yet to personally try them but i have been following that thread for a while now. But thanks to my Canadian buddy WAYNE i might get to try these lil' gems soon.

Quote:
Saying something is so doesn't make it so and...

Just because something is higher up in a companies lineup and more expensive doesn't always make it better. One thing I learned a LONG time ago is that a company might have one great product in it's lineup and the rest will be crap. None of the earphones you have mentioned have gotten any attention from IJokerI or ClieOS. That doesn't mean they're no good but they probably don't have that "special" factor that the MH1c's have. I doubt either one of those two guys are audio snobs since they both acknowledge  relatively cheap high ranking IEMs in their reviews. BTW, after combing both lists from those two guys, the only thing I could find that looked like it might even remotely be in the same league as the MH1c (at or near that price point) was he Brainwavz M5. I picked up the microphone version for $35 and promptly unloaded it (not because it was bad but because the Sony was so much better in terms of pure fun) . I've always got my Shure E500s if I want to get serious but even they aren't as fun as the MH1c's. 

No charge for the formal schooling BTW!!!
atsmile.gif

Well, then i guess you have to buy all of them and prove me wrong then.
wink_face.gif

But that is not the point of my argument though nor was your main point, you stated that nothing ~ $100 can touch these MH1Cs and i have given you a HUGE list of iems that are sub $100 that can compete if not best these. I have the JVC FXD70s and they are better if not on par with these cheapo sonys for only $65. And like I said before my list consist mostly of recent releases from Jpn that can't be found worldwide. This makes them so rare that not many people have heard or tired them yet, this includes joker and ClieOS. Unless you are a huge fan boi, you would not likely buy/ import them all the way from Jpn. That is where people like Dsnuts come in handy, cuz they are always on top of newly released gears and does a great job with impressions, etc. So there, you need to stick with your original argument and not back track.

No need to thank me for pointing you the way BTW!!! I know you are just a lost soul.
beyersmile.png

Quote:
The MH1s are the only "budget" IEMs that don't cause me to long for my high-end stuff. The only one under $100, just to be topical.

These cheapo sonys are refined indeed, just got a new pair from a trade today WOOT WOOT!!!

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,766 of 3,824
Someone recently posted a Hong Kong link for $21 MH1c's (shipped). I was "forced" to snap another pair. Couldn't help myself! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #1,770 of 3,824
MH1 is not the be-all-end-all for sure, not even in the sub-$100 category. But comparison between IEM that you have not listened yourself is not helpful to anyone, and could be downright harmful sometime IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back