[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #1,216 of 3,824
Yeah, mostly because there's a lot more of it than the MH1C--he won't like that at all.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,217 of 3,824
Quote:
what reports?

from an other thread see below .. 

After reading all of the positive comments, I bought one of these. Just listened through them yesterday when they arrived. They sounded like crap! Perhaps I got bad copy, a bad set, or I need to do some serious burning in. 

That was never substantiated with any pointers to the possibility that his set may be physically different from what we are getting in any way.  We can't go around saying there are fakes just because someone thinks his set sounds bad.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,218 of 3,824
So I just got my pair in today. Not a huge fan of the cord, but for $29 these are very very good. I prefer bass heavy headphones/iems for the simple fact that it's easier to EQ down than up, and for certain genres of music emphasized sub bass is very good. Dubstep/house/EDM/whatever were meant to be heard on huge sound systems with giant subs, and headphones can't come close to replicating that experience without a little emphasis. Anyways I haven't listened to much non-electronic music with them to determine if the bass is intrusive yet, but these are definite my go to portables for now.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #1,219 of 3,824
That was never substantiated with any pointers to the possibility that his set may be physically different from what we are getting in any way.  We can't go around saying there are fakes just because someone thinks his set sounds bad.

definitely no pointers .. but still the possibility remains .. now who is going to PM that guy to substantiate this?
ph34r.gif

Yeah, mostly because there's a lot more of it than the MH1C--he won't like that at all.

I don't think that we can actually come to a solid declaration that a person who doesn't like the MH1C mainly coz of the highs(or the deficiency of it) will love/hate the B2/dba-02 unless that person takes a listen .. I think this is just an extension of the fact that "we all hear differently" 
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #1,221 of 3,824
I've ordered myself a pair of the MH1c after reading ClieOS' review and it arrived a week back. First impressions are,they are for me underwhelming. The top end just sounds too emphasized to my ears that they drown others. On my Nexus S [Voodoo] with Poweramp I had to reduce the top end almost halfway from zero for it to be bearable but then i think there's something missing from the sound. Am I the only one with this? Did I got a fake? My unit was bought from eBay.

Can I ask you what IEM were you using before as daily IEM?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,222 of 3,824
Quote:
I've ordered myself a pair of the MH1c after reading ClieOS' review and it arrived a week back. First impressions are,they are for me underwhelming. The top end just sounds too emphasized to my ears that they drown others. On my Nexus S [Voodoo] with Poweramp I had to reduce the top end almost halfway from zero for it to be bearable but then i think there's something missing from the sound. Am I the only one with this? Did I got a fake? My unit was bought from eBay.

Nope, i use poweramp on my Z2 as well, and i have had to put the 16 Khz all the way down and i mean completely down to stop the excessive extreme high-end disturbance, especially in trance music....

Quote:

definitely no pointers .. but still the possibility remains .. now who is going to PM that guy to substantiate this?
ph34r.gif

I don't think that we can actually come to a solid declaration that a person who doesn't like the MH1C mainly coz of the highs(or the deficiency of it) will love/hate the B2/dba-02 unless that person takes a listen .. I think this is just an extension of the fact that "we all hear differently" 
wink.gif

I don't have anything against highs, i actually hate bassy music. But the highs have to be clear and sharp, something which i am not able to hear from the MH1C. I mean they are definitely good for the price range, but the people saying that its similar to $100-150 IEMs, that i don't think is true. The SQ just isn't sharp and pristine for what you would expect from a premium IEM.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,223 of 3,824
Quote:
Hope this helps
Regards

Thanks a lot. Yes, helps.

Couple concerns that I have, like probably any one who starts with this "hobby", is to get as much as possible for as little as possible :) and on top of that, to like sound of IEM's or Headphones that get.

Anyway, reading a lot around through a forum, I realized that what will suite my musical taste and musical signature are IEM's/Cans with neutral or balanced nature. That is one of the reasons I am interested in Brainwavz B2.

Anyway, I narrowed my list to 3 candidates: Brainwavz B2, RE-262 and RE-ZERO. All different sound signature, all with good reviews and all with acceptable price. Probably in time I will get all of them, unless any better option come up in between. Also MH1C comes out of blue as all hype in this thread, and on forum too so I got them too. Thats paid off as they sound really good. Unfortunately, I can compare them only to HD428 and in total, MH1C sounds better.

Once again, thanks for good review of B2 clone of yours.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,224 of 3,824
I just recieved my mh1c, and they are just fantastic after 50 hours of burn in, I like them even more than yamaha eph-100, what a steal!!
was having some problems with the fit, but with the brainwavz M1 tips, they fit just perfect. I don't find the cable annoying but they do have a lot of microphonics.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #1,225 of 3,824
Quote:
IMO, if you really like the sound signature of the MH1C, dont get the B2. 

I like how MH1C sounds, but I dont have much experience with other IEM's, so that is why I am thinking getting another pair or two.

Listening to MH1C a lot, I realized that what I want better is bass (can be same amount or less, but to be better defined), mids to be a bit more upfront but signature is ok), and highs (at times can be to sparklishhhhh).

It looks like I would like to change all, but no, in whole MH1C sounds really good, I just want even more neutral and natural sounding IEM's/Cans, as I had that with Speakers setup I had.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,227 of 3,824
Quote:
they are amazing in-ears, I went with these instead http://www.head-fi.org/products/greenhouse-gh-erc-dms.. I think you can get them for $80 shipped from amazon japan... cheaper - same stuff! besides you get 1 year warranty as well :)

.. they are a little less promiscious :)

Wow, I checked, they are $55 when convert Yens. Really good price. How long you waited them to be delivered?

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,228 of 3,824
I've not really heard the re 262.. but its often compared to the signature of the se 535 which I've in my possession .. 

and to be frank all the three are different flavours .. 

1. B2 - PRaT experts -  treble accentuated , the SQ is very raw and unrefined, bad dynamics of sound most neutral among the three in my opinion. Best option if you want to know how poorly the song is recorded and you have a fetish for detail

2. RE-262 - best SQ among the three,mid-forward , .. and the most ecstatic sounding among the three, since I've not heard these all I can say is that they will definitely have a very refined character than the other 2 as far as sq is concerned , mainly coz of its se 535 similarities

3. MH1c - Warm, laid back with hard hitting bass,very musical least neutral and good detail but still lag behind the above two - all about fun

If you want an all around IEM - I would definitely go for the B2, they are my favourite (i own their japanese clones) .. if its all about the feeling - get the re 262, I think it might be the best as far as SQ is concerned 

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #1,229 of 3,824
Wow, I checked, they are $55 when convert Yens. Really good price. How long you waited them to be delivered?

I got them from an other head-fier, the left driver was distorting ..so i send it back to him and got it replaced under warranty .. he owned the b2 as well and said its the same thing .. no difference..

as far as detail is concerned - these are the best ... theres nothing as good and revealing of the record as these .. 

the best to do now is get an re 262, you can get the gh-erc-dms even after the cybermonday thing for the same price! the sound is very raw and technical sounding and with silicone tips, the sibilance is unbearable .. i use these with complys! 

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,230 of 3,824
I don't have anything against highs, i actually hate bassy music. But the highs have to be clear and sharp, something which i am not able to hear from the MH1C. I mean they are definitely good for the price range, but the people saying that its similar to $100-150 IEMs, that i don't think is true. The SQ just isn't sharp and pristine for what you would expect from a premium IEM.

first things first! the MH1C is not a premium IEM, its just the best iem for easy commute without worrying about how you handle it ..ofcourse not the best isolation .. but a very friendly sound .. 

if you want clear and sharp highs - the brainwavz b2 or gh-erc-dms might be the best choice!!! in this case you actually will like the b2! 

what say joebloggs! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back