[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,186 of 3,824
Quote:
there have been reports of fakes ... i could link you up if you want me to.. 

yes the vent reduces the isolation(which is subpar-average) but I dont understand 'air leakage' 

Well its just something i call when the extreme highs are excessive. Even after reducing the high-end EQ to much much below zero, i can still feel that sound. Also, i have seen the pics and mine do look exactly similar, right down to the white foam covering at the tips.....

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,187 of 3,824
Well its just something i call when the extreme highs are excessive. Even after reducing the high-end EQ to much much below zero, i can still feel that sound. Also, i have seen the pics and mine do look exactly similar, right down to the white foam covering at the tips.....

so you are telling there is an excessive treble energy with this iems?

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #1,189 of 3,824
Quote:

so you are telling there is an excessive treble energy with this iems?

That's what i am noticing so far, but only the extreme end, rest seems okay. I can reduce 13Khz to about -5 or -6 in my Z2 to make it a bit less but then the music loses its touch...

Quote:
Do you have a good seal? I cannot 'hear' any leak out.

Yep, seal is fine....

EDIT : I should mention this that this effect is much prominent on trance music (maybe cause they generally have high treble associated), its negligible on other genres. Maybe try playing trance and let me know if you find it as well...

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,190 of 3,824
I love these hybrid tips provided. The small one just fits perfect for my ear so well with deep insertion, not at all falling off. Anybody knows where to get these tips? I wish to use the same tips for all my IEMs, so comfortable and isolating!

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #1,191 of 3,824
I've been playing with the EQ on iTunes between 'Bass Reducer' and 'Treble Booster'. Even tried combining both with EQ looking like a slope ' / ' and they sound much brighter.

So far I'll take a 'flatter' version of that slope: about 40% of Bass Reducer, and 70% of Treble Boost as my sweet spot atm :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,192 of 3,824
Quote:
I seriously don't understand this hype over MH1C. It leaks air over the highs like a $5 earphone and while the music is warm and balanced, there is no clarity at all in these. The Bass just muddles everything at high volumes. I am truly disappointed in these and the forums as well. I used to regularly visit here for reviews but i think i seriously need to reconsider. You guys say these are worthy of $50-100. I cannot see that at all. No good IEM should be this bad at the highs, and my 2.5 year old CX400-II sound much better than this even thought they sound a but less natural.....

Hmm..I am feeling the exact opposite of what you are saying. Clarity, instrument seperation and soundstage all are just great on these. The thing I like about this is the great detailing at mids and highs even with the bass response and thump it possesses.

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,193 of 3,824
Quote:
Hmm..I am feeling the exact opposite of what you are saying. Clarity, instrument seperation and soundstage all are just great on these. The thing I like about this is the great detailing at mids and highs even with the bass response and thump it possesses.

Dunno man, but the CX 400 Precision-II is known for its immense clarity (look up the numerous reviews online) and these just feel a step down from them. I tried listening multiple times and tinkered with the EQ all day, but i am thoroughly disappointed with these. Had to spend USD50 here in India, and it just feels like money wasted. The only things which give it some points over my CX400 are the width of the soundstage and the warmth of the music, but the other cons far outweight the pros in my opinion and i won't be using them i guess. I might even give them away if i am ever able to find anyone from India interested in these on the forums....

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,194 of 3,824
Dunno man, but the CX 400 Precision-II is known for its immense clarity (look up the numerous reviews online) and these just feel a step down from them. I tried listening multiple times and tinkered with the EQ all day, but i am thoroughly disappointed with these. Had to spend USD50 here in India, and it just feels like money wasted. The only things which give it some points over my CX400 are the width of the soundstage and the warmth of the music, but the other cons far outweight the pros in my opinion and i won't be using them i guess. I might even give them away if i am ever able to find anyone from India interested in these on the forums....

you paid 50 dollars ? .. im also from india .. i got its for 28 dollars(1.6k COD) .. either you got a fake set or you havn't burnt it in yet .. i found it bass driven with good clarity and detail .. though I've not heard the cx 400s .. 

but at the price of 1.6k inr, I find that my other earphones which boast great all around sound dont even justify themselves price wise..

you gotta burn them in, what are you running it out of ?

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #1,195 of 3,824
Quote:

you paid 50 dollars ? .. im also from india .. i got its for 28 dollars(1.6k COD) .. either you got a fake set or you havn't burnt it in yet .. i found it bass driven with good clarity and detail .. though I've not heard the cx 400s .. 

but at the price of 1.6k inr, I find that my other earphones which boast great all around sound dont even justify themselves price wise..

you gotta burn them in, what are you running it out of ?

Yea it cost me 2.4K from ebay, couldn't find them anywhere else. And yea i am still keeping them continously ON in hope that they might sound a bit better. I am using them on a Cowon Z2. Bass driven i completely agree, wide soundstage and warmth that's fine too, but it's quite a bit heavy on the extreme high end. That becomes a real problem in trance music. Like i said, they sound fine with normal genres which barely resort to high-end trebles, but you can hear the muffling sound in trance music which is really uncomfortable. And yea, i tried playing several rock/metal combinations and i can assure you that my cx400 are better in terms of clarity....

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,196 of 3,824
Quote:
Yea it cost me 2.4K from ebay, couldn't find them anywhere else. And yea i am still keeping them continously ON in hope that they might sound a bit better. I am using them on a Cowon Z2. Bass driven i completely agree, wide soundstage and warmth that's fine too, but it's quite a bit heavy on the extreme high end. That becomes a real problem in trance music. Like i said, they sound fine with normal genres which barely resort to high-end trebles, but you can hear the muffling sound in trance music which is really uncomfortable. And yea, i tried playing several rock/metal combinations and i can assure you that my cx400 are better in terms of clarity....

You obviously havent searched @ ebay.com, some for around 26$ are present there atm. Ebay.in is completely unreliable and filled with heck load of fakes(not sure for mh1c but for all other major IEMs)

One thing, burn-in improves the sound, it doesnt magically convert the IEM to a total different one. Noticeable aspects are pretty much less. If you dont like the initial mh1c, you wont get much love burned-in too. Highs are a bit improved i.e smoothens up, bass being more deep. Mids, soundstage would not change a bit.

Try improving the fit, it may sound harsh on highs with bad fit, with perfect fit, they balance all the aspects well. Amping does wonders on this power hungry IEM.

It blows away CX400 in every aspect..

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #1,197 of 3,824
Quote:
You obviously havent searched @ ebay.com, some for around 26$ are present there atm. Ebay.in is completely unreliable and filled with heck load of fakes(not sure for mh1c but for all other major IEMs)

One thing, burn-in improves the sound, it doesnt magically convert the IEM to a total different one. Noticeable aspects are pretty much less. If you dont like the initial mh1c, you wont get much love burned-in too. Highs are a bit improved i.e smoothens up, bass being more deep. Mids, soundstage would not change a bit.

Try improving the fit, it may sound harsh on highs with bad fit, with perfect fit, they balance all the aspects well. Amping does wonders on this power hungry IEM.

It blows away CX400 in every aspect..

I know the risk about the ebay and i got these from a guy with 12K rating with 100% positive feedback. I would say that the chance that this guy supplies fakes is almost negligible. And i am not trying to magically change the IEM man. Like i said, as of now, i feel that the extreme highs are overpowered and clarity is definitely not as good as my cx400. Even if you read the original review, you can see that CleiOS says that analytical users might not be at home with these. Also, the burn-in is just as a last resort in hopes to bring the highs to atleast some acceptable region. I already posted my disappointed with them which i wouldn't if i was expecting them to change. Sigh, could have saved the 2.4K and ordered B2 from mp4nation if i just found out about their sale a bit earlier....

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,198 of 3,824
Quote:
I know the risk about the ebay and i got these from a guy with 12K rating with 100% positive feedback. I would say that the chance that this guy supplies fakes is almost negligible. And i am not trying to magically change the IEM man. Like i said, as of now, i feel that the extreme highs are overpowered and clarity is definitely not as good as my cx400. Even if you read the original review, you can see that CleiOS says that analytical users might not be at home with these. Also, the burn-in is just as a last resort in hopes to bring the highs to atleast some acceptable region. I already posted my disappointed with them which i wouldn't if i was expecting them to change. Sigh, could have saved the 2.4K and ordered B2 from mp4nation if i just found out about their sale a bit earlier....

I dont think getting B2 is a good idea if you are not satisfied with MH1Cs signature. B2's and MH1C's share almost the same signature with minor differences according to these opinions..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1170#post_8893833

You can return the item claming its a fake isnt it? I find the highs not too bad on MH1C either..

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,200 of 3,824
Quote:
I dont think getting B2 is a good idea if you are not satisfied with MH1Cs signature. B2's and MH1C's share almost the same signature with minor differences according to these opinions..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1170#post_8893833

You can return the item claming its a fake isnt it? I find the highs not too bad on MH1C either..

How can i do that without any conclusive proof, while the fact remains that these are indeed are not fakes. Also, i read that post which you mentioned above but i have read several reviews which said that B2 are extremely clear in the sound quality, something which i prefer......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back