[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #766 of 3,824
Quote:
"Welcome to head fi, sorry about your wallet"
Nice observations. Thanks but I think it is counter prductive to use the avatar of LFF.

Yeah I thought it was LFF

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #767 of 3,824
Here are my observations so far:
  • I use Astro Player on my Android smartphone. With the MH1C plugged in, you can press the middle button (between the + and -) to start playing the music. Press it again to pause. Keep in mind, it pauses the music and doesn't actually exit the app. Small difference, but worth mentioning since it keeps the app available in the pull-down notification area.
  • If your screen is off, pressing the middle button to start or pause the music will not activate the screen. This is good since I won't have to worry about accidental presses on the screen with my phone in my pocket whenever I want to start/stop the music.
  • Contrary to what I would have thought, the + button at the "top" rewinds to the beginning of the song or skips to the previous track, and the - button at the "bottom" skips to the next track.
  • Double clicking any of the buttons doesn't seem to do anything, and I do not believe I can control the volume on my device with this headset.
  • If you have the volume turned up high, pressing any of the three aforementioned buttons will cause a relatively loud, piercing beep. Not pleasant, but probably more a function of my phone rather than the headset itself.
  • When receiving a phone call, you can press the middle button to answer the phone. Mic works fine, but I haven't tested it very much and haven't solicited comments from people on the other end of the line yet.
  • There's a fourth button below the - with an arrow on it. I believe this is the SmartKey. At the moment, I don't think it does anything on my HTC device and probably only works on Sony devices.

Some of these function are defined by the apps you used. such as volume control and double click. So once you change another apps, you might get different functions.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #768 of 3,824
lol
Quote:

Quote:
your new Bose inears?

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Lol to be honest, i was almost thinking that as well

Quote:
Has anyone found any reviews of this anywhere else but on headfi? I haven't. I'm (half seriously) worried this is some kind of sociological experiment.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #769 of 3,824
Quote:
"Welcome to head fi, sorry about your wallet"
Nice observations. Thanks but I think it is counter prductive to use the avatar of LFF.

Quote:

Yeah I thought it was LFF

Good advice and point taken. Although I am unaware of who LFF is, I assume he/she is a longstanding or respected member here. I have no intention of misleading anyone nor causing confusion, so I've deleted my avatar for now until I decide on a more unique one.

Quote:
You can probably customize the buttons using an Android app (from google play app store, i use "headset button" but there are others...)

I downloaded and tried Sony's LiveWare Manager app, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll checkout others.

Quote:
Some of these function are defined by the apps you used. such as volume control and double click. So once you change another apps, you might get different functions.

I use Astro Player mainly because I require playback speed control for other reasons (not related to music listening), but I probably should look into other media players. I'm sure there are better apps for music, including the managing of songs and playlists.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #771 of 3,824
Quote:

Good advice and point taken. Although I am unaware of who LFF is, I assume he/she is a longstanding or respected member here. I have no intention of misleading anyone nor causing confusion, so I've deleted my avatar for now until I decide on a more unique one.

You hit it right on the spot there. 
wink_face.gif
 Thanks. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #772 of 3,824
Quote:
Would these be an upgrade from the Meelec CC51?

I have the CC51's as well, they were my first serious purchase for some quality buds per dollar spent (at the time 23 $ due to sale) and while I was very happy with those personally I cant seem to remember where my ear ends and where the MH1C's begin. Played with some EQ thanks to joe's help and they've settled in real nice since. You'll do good to pick up a pair while they're still relatively cheaper than what they should be demanding we pay for em.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #773 of 3,824
Just ordered a pair off MobiMega's ebay store: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-MH1C-Handsfree-for-Sony-Xperia-S-LT26i-LT26w-ST-27i-MT25i-ST25-i-LT28i-/140877702700?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item20ccf7262c

Just to confirm, these should be genuine, right?

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #774 of 3,824
Do anyone knows where i can find 4-pole female CTIA to 3-pole male standard stereo 3.5mm jack?

I heard someone had problem connecting MH1C to laptop jack, so I want to avoid that, as I will mainly listen through FiiO E10, just some through android phone.

Or if anyone tried IEMs through E10 and if it works without preoblems, just  confirm that.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #776 of 3,824
Quote:
Do anyone knows where i can find 4-pole female CTIA to 3-pole male standard stereo 3.5mm jack?

I heard someone had problem connecting MH1C to laptop jack, so I want to avoid that, as I will mainly listen through FiiO E10, just some through android phone.

Or if anyone tried IEMs through E10 and if it works without preoblems, just  confirm that.

Thanks!

I don't have my e10 anymore but I'm 99.9% sure you won't have issues with the mh1c connected straight to the e10 without any adapters . 

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #777 of 3,824
I got mine on amazon for 20 dollar, and I am totally agreed with what you mentioned here!
Beside the cable, the other one thing I would like is the mid to be a lil bit more stand-out. 
Thanks for the review!

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #778 of 3,824
After using it these days I have to say that the mod didnt work well for me. It wasn't that it was bad but that it would break the seal. The standard tips are the narrow types and moving in any way shape or form breaks the seal or flexes the passage and gets weird sonic effects. I did the kova mod and that worked for a while but wearing it was like using a TF10. Good but with constant seal problems and wiggling. Not to mention microphonics. I finaly did the Joe mod (not relaly a mod) and that worked.

Basically I cut off the tape from the kova mod and then flipped the buds behind my back, and wrapped the earbuds around the top of my ear to my ears and thats it. We've all done behind the ear wraps with headphone wires before but this works awkwardly but it works. As you may imagine, the flat cord and the controls on the left bud make it awkard. For me, I had just enough space so that the control could be behind my ear and the other as well. With this, I never get a faulty seal or anything while moving around.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #779 of 3,824
So after a nice burn in, listening with these again
Band: Dire Straits
Album: Dire Straits

Why this album? Well it is a great album, with variety of slow, mid, high tempo songs, two guitars, an amazing base line, nice percussion.

These phones are with a single word are "amazing"

Yes they are.
They do everything great, soundstage is a bit narrow for my taste but they just have amazing instrument separation, it is not easy to believe they are sold for $20. For comparison I put in my Monster MDs, which supposed to have retailed for $300, $20 vs $300, MH1 wins for sure. If I was to rate both on a scale against each other, I would say MH1 is a 10, MD 8.5, meanwhile as far as comfort, ease of use, microphonics etc, that is where the MH1c is behind. Doesn't matter, they are great to just listen while doing nothing. The song Sultans of Swing, which I significantly compared both phones, back and forth, the base line and how it was presented by MH1 blew me away. There was no rollover, and I could actually picked up every note, it was such clarity, at times feel the distortion as it appeared, the guitars, the drums, amazing. MDs do a great job as well for most of the part, but you hear the rollover on the base line, you miss the notes at times as they get lost due to separation issues, and the mids are not as good.

These are great headphones, i would have picked up another pair only if the price did not keep on rising just to keep a spare. The j-cord is a what were they thinking moment for sure, are they over $30 yet in Amazon :) From $19 to $30 in a matter of a week or so, that is 50% inflation guys :)

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #780 of 3,824
Quote:
So after a nice burn in, listening with these again
Band: Dire Straits
Album: Dire Straits

Why this album? Well it is a great album, with variety of slow, mid, high tempo songs, two guitars, an amazing base line, nice percussion.

These phones are with a single word are "amazing"

Yes they are.
They do everything great, soundstage is a bit narrow for my taste but they just have amazing instrument separation, it is not easy to believe they are sold for $20. For comparison I put in my Monster MDs, which supposed to have retailed for $300, $20 vs $300, MH1 wins for sure. If I was to rate both on a scale against each other, I would say MH1 is a 10, MD 8.5, meanwhile as far as comfort, ease of use, microphonics etc, that is where the MH1c is behind. Doesn't matter, they are great to just listen while doing nothing. The song Sultans of Swing, which I significantly compared both phones, back and forth, the base line and how it was presented by MH1 blew me away. There was no rollover, and I could actually picked up every note, it was such clarity, at times feel the distortion as it appeared, the guitars, the drums, amazing. MDs do a great job as well for most of the part, but you hear the rollover on the base line, you miss the notes at times as they get lost due to separation issues, and the mids are not as good.

Cool. That is a great album, and once my mh1c's are burned in, I look forward to listening to that album and comparing the mh1c's to my xba3's. At this point, I would be very surprised if the mh1c's come even close. But based on all of the hype, I won't be surprised to be surprised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back