[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 10, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #796 of 3,824
That would be awesome, you should! Soon!
smile.gif

Quote:
Those Superlux sound pretty good. Might give them a try later on.

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #797 of 3,824
Nov 10, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #798 of 3,824
i purchased it for 29 usd and got myself 1 year warranty from the seller as well .. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #799 of 3,824
Quote:

I can confirm that the MH1C works without issue through the FiiO E10.

It actually doesn't. The E10 can't be used with TRRS jacks (cables with a remote and mic), because you'll have channel issues and the sound will be weird. I had to use a splitter that separates the remote and mic from the sound channel.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #800 of 3,824
@CLIEOS
I wouldn't really call it a negative impression. I am just critically analyzing the MH1C and its functions. 

I am using the iPhone 4S with latest OS update.

@JSC
No I am not talking about the controls don't work. I don't care about the controls but have tested them. What is the problem is that the controls are interferring with normal function on my 4S. Sometimes I would get pops and one channel would disapear for .5seconds and pop up again and then normal again. Sometimes I would have my volume maxed out (thank goodness my iPhone can't drive these to ear blistering volumes but just high enouh) or down to near nothing. I did not touch the controls either time but due to the addition of the smart control scheme and that extra prong on the jack made more or less for Sony Smartphones, it does cause problems for me. Yes, this was not meant to be used on anything but compatible devices. However as a head-fi'er buying it as a FOTM, I needed to make note that since we are buying these and using them mostly with incompatible phones, it should be noted that the smart key control does limit many things. The J design and strain and how it does it also creates sonic imbalance. The tips that come standard are narrow canal types. Not a problem, they sound nice with these but because they are narrow, coupled with bad strain relief and cable design, while moving without any mods, the canals dilate or distort in shape and thus as they are small already create a very noticeable and unpleasureable sensation.

I did make and got a semi mod going. Basically the Kova mod, but then you wrap the cables behind your ears as usual(this is attempt #3). I have just enough clearance that teh smart controller rests behind my ear and thus the cable comes out of my ear at a near perpindicular way (think bluetooth headsets) while the other is fine. This still creates a different strain in each ear but is much much better. The clip now is a bit more awkward to use and another problem that arrises is that the tape to make the kova mod is now rubbing against my adams apple and is also uncomfortable..

These definately sound like $100 IEM's with an EQ. Don't get me wrong. I like them. But as these are being sent out t users with incompatible phones and do have many usability problems they should be noted. Why? Why not. CLIEOS and the others can talk about the sound and everything while I could be the one to talk about usability, it would be boring if we all said the same thing.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #801 of 3,824
These are nice earphones with good clarity and detail with a bit of mid boost.  I would compare these to the GR07 with less isolation and less bass.  

These are more detailed and have better mids then the TF10 but due it's poor isolation and lack of warmth and bass, I would not be using them over my TF10s which sound more bolder and fuller.   

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #802 of 3,824
I honestly haven't read much of other people's impressions of these and I wasn't going to post any of mine. But after what happened this morning as I am about to leave for work, I feel compelled to say something.

I have 2 brand new clips here with the same music on them. I decided to A/B these Sony's with the TF10s I have. Just to see if they were almost as good as the UE's which would make them a great buy. I hae posted before that I recommend using the TF10's with soft silicon tips and not comply. Then I tried the Ts series which are the round shorter tips that don't seem to absorb as much sound. So these are on the TF10's at the moment.

I just listened down the list which ended up being all the songs that have numbers for titles. This included some Dave Mathews live, John Meyer, a matchbox 20 song, van halen.

All I can say, with what I just heard, sadly enough the MH1 beat out the TF10 in nearly every way. Not by a landslide and it took me a while to figure out which ones I liked better until i started analyzing one detail at a time.

Comfort -- honestly the MH1 fits my ears perfectly with the sstock tips. TF10 we all know have comfort issues.

Just a quick description of the sound:

Comparing the MH1 to the TF10 i found the bass to have better texture, I earlier mentioned I immediately covered the bass ports on the MH1.

Male voices are rendered slightly better with the MH1. I found that the TF10 has a very very thin veil on things like high hats and in the highs. Detail was better with the MH1 and to my ears they produce a more natural sounding midrange and highs. Just by a hair.

The most obvious difference is the cable. The microphonic cable is by far inferior to even the stock TF10 cable.

Anyway I am not going to say much more. I don't think it is a fair comparrison until I put the silicon tips back on the TF10 but it sure was interesting. The foam could account for the veiled sound I described above (or maybe not, I guess I will find out later tonight).

All I can say is before you guys had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. Wasn't expecting that.

For sure this IEM compares to the sound of the 100 to 300 dollar range and exceeds some IMO. I don't really care about putting a dollar value on them but they sure sound good.

Again I havent' read a lot of other impressions on these on the thread yet. I did see the OP a couple weeks ago which is what inspired me to order them. So I am not sure if people are getting the same thing out of these that I am. For all i know mine are broken and sound better than they should.. :)

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #803 of 3,824
I agree that in many ways in sound the MH1 are better then the TF10s.  The only downside for the MH1s they sound thin compared to the TF10 which sound bolder and fuller.  The mids on the TF10s are lacking compared to the MH1 which can be fixed with boosting mids on the EQ for the TF10s.  

I would give the MH1 more time to see wether they would sound better over time.  

I use the silcon tips that came with my GRO7 with the TF10s and wear them Left to Right and Right to Left as this way gives the best sound and fit. 
Quote:
I honestly haven't read much of other people's impressions of these and I wasn't going to post any of mine. But after what happened this morning as I am about to leave for work, I feel compelled to say something.
I have 2 brand new clips here with the same music on them. I decided to A/B these Sony's with the TF10s I have. Just to see if they were almost as good as the UE's which would make them a great buy. I hae posted before that I recommend using the TF10's with soft silicon tips and not comply. Then I tried the Ts series which are the round shorter tips that don't seem to absorb as much sound. So these are on the TF10's at the moment.
I just listened down the list which ended up being all the songs that have numbers for titles. This included some Dave Mathews live, John Meyer, a matchbox 20 song, van halen.
All I can say, with what I just heard, sadly enough the MH1 beat out the TF10 in nearly every way. Not by a landslide and it took me a while to figure out which ones I liked better until i started analyzing one detail at a time.
Comfort -- honestly the MH1 fits my ears perfectly with the sstock tips. TF10 we all know have comfort issues.
Just a quick description of the sound:
Comparing the MH1 to the TF10 i found the bass to have better texture, I earlier mentioned I immediately covered the bass ports on the MH1.
Male voices are rendered slightly better with the MH1. I found that the TF10 has a very very thin veil on things like high hats and in the highs. Detail was better with the MH1 and to my ears they produce a more natural sounding midrange and highs. Just by a hair.
The most obvious difference is the cable. The microphonic cable is by far inferior to even the stock TF10 cable.
Anyway I am not going to say much more. I don't think it is a fair comparrison until I put the silicon tips back on the TF10 but it sure was interesting. The foam could account for the veiled sound I described above (or maybe not, I guess I will find out later tonight).
All I can say is before you guys had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. Wasn't expecting that.
For sure this IEM compares to the sound of the 100 to 300 dollar range and exceeds some IMO. I don't really care about putting a dollar value on them but they sure sound good.
Again I havent' read a lot of other impressions on these on the thread yet. I did see the OP a couple weeks ago which is what inspired me to order them. So I am not sure if people are getting the same thing out of these that I am. For all i know mine are broken and sound better than they should..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #804 of 3,824
Use TF10 with silicon as you said for optimum sound. I rate MH1 very close compared to TF10. I like the mid-bass hump more on MH1, they upbeat all of the IEMs I heard in the bass texture, so much deep and controlled, not overwhelming .Where as soundstage is more wide and airy, treble is sparky and a bit good for me on TF10. Mids, TF10 wins just by a bit in instrument seperation and detailing.MH1 is a lot more comfortable and isolating than TF10 though. Overall, I like my TF10 better in terms of SQ (That too by not a large extent)

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #805 of 3,824
I would say that this is akin to the MP8320. In that in terms of sonic qualities, they may have at some parts have had parts of it better than what some other headphones I have can do. This effect can further be amplfiied if you are a person that fell in love with said IEM. I would rather choose the TF10's in that they are much more complete sounding if I recall than the MH1C's. The vocals yes were toned down but they didn't have as huge of a moving around problem as the MH1C's do, the stock cable was still better than this MH1C one and they were just overall much more smoother. The tip top of the vocals on the MH1C's are bright. It kinda hurts sometimes. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #806 of 3,824
Quote:
[snip]  
@JSC
No I am not talking about the controls don't work. I don't care about the controls but have tested them. What is the problem is that the controls are interferring with normal function on my 4S. Sometimes I would get pops and one channel would disapear for .5seconds and pop up again and then normal again. Sometimes I would have my volume maxed out (thank goodness my iPhone can't drive these to ear blistering volumes but just high enouh) or down to near nothing. I did not touch the controls either time but due to the addition of the smart control scheme and that extra prong on the jack made more or less for Sony Smartphones, it does cause problems for me. Yes, this was not meant to be used on anything but compatible devices. However as a head-fi'er buying it as a FOTM, I needed to make note that since we are buying these and using them mostly with incompatible phones, it should be noted that the smart key control does limit many things. The J design and strain and how it does it also creates sonic imbalance. The tips that come standard are narrow canal types. Not a problem, they sound nice with these but because they are narrow, coupled with bad strain relief and cable design, while moving without any mods, the canals dilate or distort in shape and thus as they are small already create a very noticeable and unpleasureable sensation.

[snip]

These definately sound like $100 IEM's with an EQ. Don't get me wrong. I like them. But as these are being sent out t users with incompatible phones and do have many usability problems they should be noted. Why? Why not. CLIEOS and the others can talk about the sound and everything while I could be the one to talk about usability, it would be boring if we all said the same thing.

I am sorry I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were saying that using the controls was interfering with the audio. Thank you for going into more detail. I completely agree that the issue you are experiencing is worth bringing up, especially since Sony's sales sheet specifically lists the iPhone/iPad as a compatible device for listening. That sheet was part of the reason I purchased this headset since I was mainly going to use them with my smartphone and it lists HTC as compatible for "Listen, Answer, and Talk". I consider the ability to control skipping of tracks in my media player app an added bonus.

In my first post I mainly discussed usability issues and was interested in learning others' experiences as well... both good and bad. I appreciate your comments. I own an iPad 2, but haven't plugged the MH1C's into it yet, so now I'm curious.

For everyone's benefit, I have attached the sales sheet I was referring to.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #807 of 3,824
Nov 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #808 of 3,824
Quote:

I am sorry I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were saying that using the controls was interfering with the audio. Thank you for going into more detail. I completely agree that the issue you are experiencing is worth bringing up, especially since Sony's sales sheet specifically lists the iPhone/iPad as a compatible device for listening. That sheet was part of the reason I purchased this headset since I was mainly going to use them with my smartphone and it lists HTC as compatible for "Listen, Answer, and Talk". I consider the ability to control skipping of tracks in my media player app an added bonus.

In my first post I mainly discussed usability issues and was interested in learning others' experiences as well... both good and bad. I appreciate your comments. I own an iPad 2, but haven't plugged the MH1C's into it yet, so now I'm curious.

For everyone's benefit, I have attached the sales sheet I was referring to.

I never needed to do any of that nor did I want to. I at first thougt, why not a nice bonus. But it is causing glitches and bugs to happen on my iPhone 4S. Not a big thing. Thank goodness these things need a bit of current to drive or else I would have disowned this pair. Honestly, I was sitting in the car yesterday and all of a suden the volume dropped to near none(last bar on iphone before no volume) and 4 seconds later it punched up to max volume. I have a good volume tolerance as I am part of the new pop age and that these MH1C's need a bit of current to actually get ear blistering loud(thankfully the iPhone 4S doesn't have that current). 

These issuaes are due to my real world incompatability. I don't blame Sony as this was meant for their specific handsets but as we are buying this for use with many PMP's and units, it should be noted.

I haven't plugged it into any others yet. It may be happening due to the three prongs on my iphone jack not working well with the IEM's. I use it with my desktop unit with none of these problems so that is where my hypothesis starts, an error or random signal generated from the controller and sent to the iphone causing weird control glitches. It only happned twice yesterday. A bigger part is that while walking or just out and about, there will be those tiny pops, it may be the headphone jack of my iphone not playing nice with the IEM's male 3.5mm plug and when it moves around causes these problems.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #809 of 3,824
Quote:

It actually doesn't. The E10 can't be used with TRRS jacks (cables with a remote and mic), because you'll have channel issues and the sound will be weird. I had to use a splitter that separates the remote and mic from the sound channel.

Tell me what kind of splitter you are using, or send link, as I will have to get one then. I have to say that I didnt have luck looking for one.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #810 of 3,824
Quote:
Guys,
I want to go ahead and get a set of these. Can you tell me if this is the correct IEM and the correct type that will fit my standard Sansa Fuze?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Livesound-Headphones-Earphones-Head-sets/dp/B008CCSD7K

A little bit confused about the plug size and if this is the same IEM?

Thanks so much. :)

I have the same one. Frontier Telecom. I am listening to it right now, it is legit. No retail packaging duh, but it comes with all the tips and clip and earphones.

If you want it to play music, most likely it will

I hope these help to ease you. I wasn't sure if Frontier was the real deal or what, not sure if it really had the MH1C or used a stock image and messed up the models and actually had the MH1C and what Replacement part to them even meant. It's real. Another person bought from them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back