[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Oct 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #106 of 3,824
since youre in the uk maybe you can also try amazon.co.uk, bulk its about 8gbp

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #107 of 3,824
Quote:
my two cents

Got the MH1C this morning and they will be burning throughout the weekend. All and all I certainly agree with Clieos

Out of the box;

- bass - a bit loose and not too much in sync with the remaining range. But there is bass, its certainly there (which is good to start out with) and will surely tighten up after a few dozen hours

- mids - out of the box this was a bit of a surprise. Not sibilant at all, not in your face and not recessed either, just the right amount. So in time can only improve

- treble - again a bit of a surprise. Although not high resoluted as some other high end´s but clear enough, solving and enjoyable. Makes you think you are listening to a set 4x the price. Again will surely improve.

Remote commands do work as advertised with my galaxy S2 (take a call, pause, next and previous track) but none of them work with my walkman (was expected)

Now the cable is a nightmare in itself really! in my take all a cable should not be: flat and stiff, microphonic and J shaped. This is the only thing detracting this one to be a higher range earphone killer.

For the really low price got a real sony (no fake for sure) with very small, small, mid size and big tips as well as a cable clip suited for flat cable.

So what more can I ask of it.. not much really. This would be the cost of tips and the clip themselves!

I still think most of us (me included in some ways) do suffer from HPES - High Price Earphone Syndrome !
meaning we only feel good at it when we buy costly earphones but tend to forget in many cases (bolded to opposite to "all" which is not what I mean) its just marketing hype to steal our money! then we go trying to justify the money we´ve spend with unmeasurable (i.e. totally subjective) sound profiling details just not to look like fools! lol

So this one proves that assumption right on target!

Well wrote there.

One thing is sure, this is gonna improve a lot burned-in, I am feeling a significant improvement in bass particularly burned-in. Its improving over time for me..Overall, great buy indeed!

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #109 of 3,824
My MH1C's came last night....I was impressed at that, at least. Ordered from Amazon on Tuesday, showed up Thursday. Not bad.

Anyway, I fell asleep on the bus so I can't comment too much about SQ. Noise ISO is decent, still not a fan of the J-cord.

A couple of questions for users. I'm using them on an iPod touch and a couple of times, the sound would either fluctuate or briefly cut out completely. Anyone else having any kind of trouble like this?

Additionally, is the iPod headphone out just a really weak driver? I had to turn the volume up almost half way before I could hear anything. I've been using my studio headphones, Sony V6's, for the past few weeks and needed about the same. The last pair of IEM's I used didn't need that much powering, is this normal?

I'll let the guys burn in this weekend and try to give more impressions next week.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #111 of 3,824
My MH1C's came last night....I was impressed at that, at least. Ordered from Amazon on Tuesday, showed up Thursday. Not bad.

Anyway, I fell asleep on the bus so I can't comment too much about SQ. Noise ISO is decent, still not a fan of the J-cord.

A couple of questions for users. I'm using them on an iPod touch and a couple of times, the sound would either fluctuate or briefly cut out completely. Anyone else having any kind of trouble like this?

Additionally, is the iPod headphone out just a really weak driver? I had to turn the volume up almost half way before I could hear anything. I've been using my studio headphones, Sony V6's, for the past few weeks and needed about the same. The last pair of IEM's I used didn't need that much powering, is this normal?

I'll let the guys burn in this weekend and try to give more impressions next week.

I am using mine on Nano 4G without any problem. You might want to check if your iPod headphone jack is functioning properly or not.

Each iPod model is different, but generally speaking I find them to have decent output power.

Clieos, if you dont mind me asking, how does the MH1 compare to the Phonak PFE 121 and EX600? Thanks!

MH1 is warmer than either of the two, with overall more even performance from bass to treble. PFE121 has excellent clarity and speed, more neutral as well but the lower end isn't quite as good as the other two. EX600 has the best soundstage of the three and overall the best build quality as well, but it has some graininess on the upper vocal, plus the fit isn't as good as it should be. The three have their pros and cons but I think they both fall into the same level of SQ, more or less. I rate MH1 just a bit higher than the other two because, to me, it has the most rounded performance. When it comes to situation where you are picking between IEM of the same SQ, I think the best way to do it is to focus on which particular aspect of the IEM for being the most attractive to you, as there is no right or wrong / good or bad choice, but only what fits your taste best.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #112 of 3,824
Thanks for the review.I ordered one from ebay for $28.99 (little bit more expensive than other offers but I've talked with the seller beside it comes with registered mail)
Can anyone comment on female vocal?I understand from your review that it's not very bright but does it recessed or sound bad?

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #113 of 3,824
Vocals are pretty much fine to me, Most of Warm+Sweet Signature IEMs are pretty much allrounders and MH1C is also one, It sounds good on any genre Ive listened till now.

Heres another reputed dealer for MH1C for those who are afraid of fakes :

http://www.mobimega.com/sony-mh1c-smart-headset-with-smartkey-control.html

Price there is 20.49 $, register in that site, get 1000 mobi points and price will come down to 19$, excluding shipping charges and it ships to all countries.

Im actually suprised that I like this IEM more than my R-50 when burned in! Great allrounders these gems are !!

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #114 of 3,824
Can anyone comment on female vocal?I understand from your review that it's not very bright but does it recessed or sound bad?

Depends on how bright you like your female vocal to be. It is not exactly excelling in female vocal but I don't find it lacking either. But if you want it really hot, this is not it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #115 of 3,824
Quote:
Vocals are pretty much fine to me, Most of Warm+Sweet Signature IEMs are pretty much allrounders and MH1C is also one, It sounds good on any genre Ive listened till now.

Heres another reputed dealer for MH1C for those who are afraid of fakes :

http://www.mobimega.com/sony-mh1c-smart-headset-with-smartkey-control.html

Price there is 20.49 $, register in that site, get 1000 mobi points and price will come down to 19$, excluding shipping charges and it ships to all countries.

Im actually suprised that I like this IEM more than my R-50 when burned in! Great allrounders these gems are !!

Thanks.That's the same seller that I ordered from at ebay
smily_headphones1.gif
But it's cheaper at ebay if you consider shipping

Quote:
Depends on how bright you like your female vocal to be. It is not exactly excelling in female vocal but I don't find it lacking either. But if you want it really hot, this is not it.

Thanks.Actually I like it really hot but I just don't like analitic sounding IEMs and also like an all rounder for different genres.However with your SQ rate and at this price I think I'm gonna like this while I'm searching another one with little bit more sparkle
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #116 of 3,824
funny enough my set also seems to play at lower level when not amped on the sansa. this is unusual, makes no sense if looking at the NH1C´s ohm´s.
When amped of course this is irrelevant

I wonder if the embedded remote is somehow capping the sound or inducing resistance on a regular mp3 player ?

For the rest at least for me although the cable is crappy the fit is comfortable with the med included tips. Sound is improving too but won´t make too much comments before the average 100 hour cap

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #117 of 3,824
MH1 came with my dad's phone, he has been using it for a while (burn-in). I had it for last two days.
If you already read ClieOS's review, and you want something slightly more crisp on top note, slightly less fat on the bottom, CC51 is probably a better choice. CC51 often can be had for under $30, just pay attention to deals thread.

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #118 of 3,824
My pair came last night.

I had a couple problems.  I noticed some static, but was able to fix by playing with the jack a little.  Source is a Studio.  I have used other 4 contact jacks without this problem.  Might be a little anoyance, but I don't consider it a deal breaker.

I also noticed at times it just didn't sound "right".  Then, I switched left and right, so left was in the right ear, and it sounded fine.  This was with cables down. 
I tried cables over ear this morning, and it also sounded fine.  I need to play around with this a little more, and figure out what works best.

Most of my listening was last night, after only an hour or 2 of breakin.
Once I switched left and right, and jiggled the jack, sounds really good.  Before, I thought they were dark and missing on the high end, but after I thought they were well balanced and good overall sound.

For $20, you really can't go wrong here, easily worth the price, and far more.
They burnin in at home now, will listen more tonight and this weekend.

I may buy a backup pair while they are still readily available.

My set come from Amazon and Frontier Telecom.  Includes 4 tips and a clip.

Randy

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #120 of 3,824
Quick impressions:

Have about 15 hours of burn-in or so. Right away I could tell these are much better technically than the Philips SHE3580 or the Monoprice 8320. Better everywhere with a smooth sound that has zero harshness or sibilance. The biggest difference I spotted was the instrumental separation. When things get busy/messy the MH1C kept it together and just sounded like a pair of top-tier IEM.

I prefer my Ultimate Ears 700, due to the sound signature of being brighter with more "crisp" high-end, there's just a spark to it that I love.

With that said... for those of you who have an ipod or iphone, I would recommend trying out the "EQ" on "treble booster" and boost the volume up a notch or two. I have no idea what frequency "treble booster" alters but they totally transformed the MH1 into a whole other animal.

Gone is the dominantly smooth sounding signature into something more energetic. The high-end is more "crisp", just the right amount without it slicing your eardrums. The mids and bass are just right, a bit cleaner than before. At these settings I put these above my UE700 easily, and right next to my UE TripleFi 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back