[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,306 of 3,824
Quote:
Sir Im not very familiar with technical terms you've used, so kindly bear with me, I mostly listen to  music in my COWON S9 which has a normal 3.5mm headphone jack, it doesnt have those fancy mic feature which we see in Apple ipods. So I just basically wanted to hear music, do you think it can play music?

Do not worry about it. Go with the Sony MH1C will work with a headphone out jack for music.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,307 of 3,824
Is anyone having an issue in which the left channel will not play unless on of the volume buttons is held down?

I sold my pair to a friend and she says that now she's having that problem while connected to her work computer.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,308 of 3,824
Quote:
Is anyone having an issue in which the left channel will not play unless on of the volume buttons is held down?

I sold my pair to a friend and she says that now she's having that problem while connected to her work computer.

Like I said above, that computer's headphone out jack conforms to the OMTP standard.  Get her an OMTP/CTIA adapter.
https://www.google.com/search?q=omtp+adapter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,309 of 3,824
Quote:
It hasn't happened again. I've really been enjoying these MH1. I also find them a lot more comfortable than the V-Sonic, but that's mostly due to the tips. None of the V-Sonic tips fit my ears comfortably. I think I'll get another pair of these Sony's and use those tips on my GR06 since I'm too lazy to replace them everytime I switch IEMs.

Hi,

How would these compare to the GR06? It's one of the IEMs i'm using right now. I haven't bought a IEM in a whopping......5 months! So I thought I might buy these MH1Cs to try out. Currently also looking at the VSonic VC-02, which are also supposedly to be great IEMs, great bang for buck.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,310 of 3,824
Quote:
Actually it totally depends on where the ground contact is on the headphone socket. In principle it is totally possible for a sound only headphone socket to be compatible with both mic standards, by having a ground contact at both standards' locations. My Fiio E17 is like this. Otherwise which standard the socket is compatible with will just depend on where the ground contact is placed. I remember someone saying his MH1C was incompatible with an audio only device, I think it was a computer. It's a trivial matter to get an adapter to switch between the standards. But if you absolutely must have compatibility without an adapter, check with the device mfc which standard it is compatible with, CTIA (MH1C) OMTP (MH1) or both.
Yeah it fits into the socket of my FiiO as well

Not in Mine FiiO E10, had awful distortions so I had to buy adapter "3.5mm TRRS Skype Adapter for PC (22 inches)" from meelec (someone mentioned that one here, as I posted problem I had), and with that one, now MH1C works without any problems.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #1,311 of 3,824
Quote:

Mine does the same, so I just don't plug it in all the way. No need for an adapter for me. 

Not sure why it works, perhaps the 3rd ring isn't making contact? 
confused.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #1,312 of 3,824
Quote:

Mine does the same, so I just don't plug it in all the way. No need for an adapter for me. 

Not sure why it works, perhaps the 3rd ring isn't making contact? 
confused.gif

I get this problem with some of my 3.5 to 6.3 adaptors. I assume its because the mic ring isn't grounded due to a shoddy fit with the jack.

In other news, my MH1Cs arrived today along with my XBA3s. :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #1,313 of 3,824
Yeah but even then the -4dB is still a bit too much. Joe has an eq scale that goes down -10dB in bass at one end of it.

Yup, actually I prefer just a 6 db lower bass.. I really don't want to kill the bass, as I find the mid-bass to be very overwhelming and only need the sub-bass to be tamed down..

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #1,314 of 3,824
The cables were horrible and have drove me nuts a few times. To check if its not just me, I gave these to my sister to try (without hinting or warning her) and she couldn't even give these 3 mins before feeling annoyed and returning them to me. Hah.. I can't blame her because that's how i felt too. Not the best impression really..

However, my point here is actually more positive. For those who can relate exactly how it feels, I'd try to assure you that these cables are not impossible
smile.gif

First off they really need some time in adjusting to. Well at least for me, finding the right fit did not happen immediately. It supposed to feel like common sense but it took me regular use to eventually 'get' it.

I think it's important to adjust the clip length to my colar everytime before I use it. It depends on the t-shirt or shirt I wore, even 1-2 cm adjustments makes a big difference in comfort and also easy head movement. As some have also done here - I put them over-ears too. And I can finally say I have reached a comfortable fit now
etysmile.gif

And also, many found the stock eartips very good, but I have opted for Superlux's eartips (Large, black in color) as the best isolation and comfort as the tips somehow achieves a great seal and locks inside. There's no falling out whatsoever
smile.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,315 of 3,824
Quote:
The cables were horrible and have drove me nuts a few times. To check if its not just me, I gave these to my sister to try (without hinting or warning her) and she couldn't even give these 3 mins before feeling annoyed and returning them to me. Hah.. I can't blame her because that's how i felt too. Not the best impression really..

However, my point here is actually more positive. For those who can relate exactly how it feels, I'd try to assure you that these cables are not impossible
smile.gif

First off they really need some time in adjusting to. Well at least for me, finding the right fit did not happen immediately. It supposed to feel like common sense but it took me regular use to eventually 'get' it.

I think it's important to adjust the clip length to my colar everytime before I use it. It depends on the t-shirt or shirt I wore, even 1-2 cm adjustments makes a big difference in comfort and also easy head movement. As some have also done here - I put them over-ears too. And I can finally say I have reached a comfortable fit now
etysmile.gif

And also, many found the stock eartips very good, but I have opted for Superlux's eartips (Large, black in color) as the best isolation and comfort as the tips somehow achieves a great seal and locks inside. There's no falling out whatsoever
smile.gif

The fit and cable make me go crazy. Fit with the ear is very subjective and personal but I think it is an universal problem here for many (not all). When you clip the MH!C correctly like a J Cord, you still get a good forward loop  that bends forward (towards nose direction) as there is some extra to promote universality of users. Well that extra moves the already extremely light IEM drivers up and makes them very moveable. This prevents a stable seal for me while on the go

The MH1C is mainly a stable on the train or commuting IEM. 

I just received the DN19 and their top wire design and cable design make it much better for use on the go. However it is much more fatiguing than the MH1C and without the dampers has almost the same amount of bass.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,316 of 3,824
Indeed true. Tips are quite personal. I felt that I had suffered like most of us did here, and now suddenly I find myself a comfortable way of using. So hopefully and maybe someone could gain from it
smile.gif

I want to add that because I found a very good seal and lock with Superlux's tip, the IEM did not move out of my ears even when worn downwards (even with intentional wild headbanging just to test lol). So if one could find the right tips, it could solve it there.

In the end, I did find that wearing over-ears does solve those issues on cable bends towards the my nose/face/skin which also caused a lot of microphonics, not to mentioned how that the thick cable behaves wearing down can make one look funny too, imo.

In my previous post on sound impressions i mentioned preferring this in-doors in stationary position, but i can actually take these out now

Quote:
The fit and cable make me go crazy. Fit with the ear is very subjective and personal but I think it is an universal problem here for many (not all). When you clip the MH!C correctly like a J Cord, you still get a good forward loop  that bends forward (towards nose direction) as there is some extra to promote universality of users. Well that extra moves the already extremely light IEM drivers up and makes them very moveable. This prevents a stable seal for me while on the go

The MH1C is mainly a stable on the train or commuting IEM. 

I just received the DN19 and their top wire design and cable design make it much better for use on the go. However it is much more fatiguing than the MH1C and without the dampers has almost the same amount of bass.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,317 of 3,824
Quote:
Indeed true. Tips are quite personal. I felt that I had suffered like most of us did here, and now suddenly I find myself a comfortable way of using. So hopefully and maybe someone could gain from it
smile.gif

I want to add that because I found a very good seal and lock with Superlux's tip, the IEM did not move out of my ears even when worn downwards (even with intentional wild headbanging just to test lol). So if one could find the right tips, it could solve it there.

In the end, I did find that wearing over-ears does solve those issues on cable bends towards the my nose/face/skin which also caused a lot of microphonics, not to mentioned how that the thick cable behaves wearing down can make one look funny too, imo.

In my previous post on sound impressions i mentioned preferring this in-doors in stationary position, but i can actually take these out now

I really dislike the J cable and found the provided tips to be too loose, meaning that the slightest movement made me have to push them back in. However I'm getting a good seal and lock with the Sony foam filled hybrids in large(light blue). The one thing I keep wondering though is, "How easy are these to recable?". I'm having some serious thoughts about recabling them for a Y-cord.

In comparison to my XBA3, these have more bass punch and slightly sharper treble, piercingly high with some music. However I feel they may need time to settle given I've only listened to them for around 3 hours.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,318 of 3,824
Quote:
I get this problem with some of my 3.5 to 6.3 adaptors. I assume its because the mic ring isn't grounded due to a shoddy fit with the jack.

In other news, my MH1Cs arrived today along with my XBA3s. :)

FIGHT!!!

Quote:
I really dislike the J cable and found the provided tips to be too loose, meaning that the slightest movement made me have to push them back in. However I'm getting a good seal and lock with the Sony foam filled hybrids in large(light blue). The one thing I keep wondering though is, "How easy are these to recable?". I'm having some serious thoughts about recabling them for a Y-cord.

In comparison to my XBA3, these have more bass punch and slightly sharper treble, piercingly high with some music. However I feel they may need time to settle given I've only listened to them for around 3 hours.

WoW it is quite surprising to hear that there are sharp treble/ harsh highs on their MH1Cs, for me it was the exact opposite. There was just mostly bass with lots of the highs/ mids veiled. Took me like 4 days beating them down continuously with bass heavy tracks to get them to sing/ shine. The drivers on these are not made equal for sure, i so envy those that got great sounding sets upon open bag!!!

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,319 of 3,824
I don't find the highs to be at all harsh and I hate overly bright highs, what player do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back