[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3,271 of 3,824
  I think it probably got wet...leave it open and see if it dries out and the sound comes back...

It definitely is the filter though, if I have it slightly lifted, the sound is fine, but if i press down the glued edge, almost all sound is blocked, it is really really strange.

They were like this when I unboxed them today from an ebay seller so I don't think it is a moisture issue.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #3,272 of 3,824
  I didn't even know it's mesh. It looks like a paper filter, guess the mesh is really fine? 

I have the one on the left. I don't see how a bent filter is blocking that much sound though. I'll try and see if it fixes it though.

Those would be the MH-1, which are the one I have also. On my first pair, I had a similar problem on one of the sides, and once I managed to take it out, I realized the foam was a little bent. Just straightened it, putted it back, and the sound went back to normal.

Here's a post on how to do it
First, remove the ear tip.

Then poke a pin or needle into any part of the outer edge of the filter mesh (the black circle that surrounds the center white circle) and carefully pry it out. The idea is kind of like removing a lid of paint can (I know, poor comparison). The filter mesh is very thin, so the pin/needle doesn't have to be poked that deeply to pry it out. The filter mesh is stuck on top the foam behind it, so when you pry it out both should slowly be coming out of the housing.

Here's a picture I found on another thread. The grey piece is the foam that you need to ensure it's straight like this:

It definitely is the filter though, if I have it slightly lifted, the sound is fine, but if i press down the glued edge, almost all sound is blocked, it is really really strange.

They were like this when I unboxed them today from an ebay seller so I don't think it is a moisture issue.

If you already got them like that, why not complaint to the seller about it?

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #3,273 of 3,824
Sorry if it has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread but... it's >200 pages of reading
eek.gif
 so here it goes...

Anyone has compared the MH1C with other Sony iems like EX300, EX310, XBA-H1? How alike or different are the sound sig?

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3,275 of 3,824
Vsonic GR07 - $99
Sony MH1 - $16

Do you guys think it is worth to pay the difference and get the gr07?

No the MH1 is a better iem imo, especially with the strain relief filled to reduce the bass. But also it depends what you need in an iem. What is important to you?

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #3,277 of 3,824
Vsonic GR07 - $99
Sony MH1 - $16

Do you guys think it is worth to pay the difference and get the gr07?

No the MH1 is a better iem imo, especially with the strain relief filled to reduce the bass. But also it depends what you need in an iem. What is important to you?

I agree, and no it doesn't depend on what you need. Haha kidding. Just be aware that the cable sucks. It just does, otherwise superior.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3,279 of 3,824
I see, but how does the cable suck? How can it bother while sitting still, for instance? And is it hard to recable these?

Where do i begin. Just sitting still, a breath will transmit rustling noise into the ears. There is a mic/controls on the left channel wire that hangs mid way down your neck. It has enough weight and pull to be annoying. The cord is a j-cord style with the right side being longer than the left. This is annoying if you want to quickly wrap the cable for storage,

If you want to wear them around the ears for comfort or to reduce cable noise, it's pretty much not doable easily because of the flat wire... should i go on? :wink:

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #3,280 of 3,824
So how is this a good deal? It has a good sound quality but it is so uncomfortable. Is there any iem under $70 that has the same or better SQ but it also comfortable? Maybe the JVC HA-FXT90 or the VSD1S? Or spend more on a RE-400?

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,281 of 3,824
  So how is this a good deal? It has a good sound quality but it is so uncomfortable. Is there any iem under $70 that has the same or better SQ but it also comfortable? Maybe the JVC HA-FXT90 or the VSD1S? Or spend more on a RE-400?

Don't get the VSD1S. The VSD3S is a much better deal at the same general price. Also could get the Zero Audio Tenore, TTPOD-T1E, Havi B3, Etc. If you're going to go up to the RE-400 level, may as well get a GR07. If you want a cheaper option, the Xiaomi Pistons are well liked for $25, but not in the same tier as the ones above. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #3,282 of 3,824

Or get a recabled MH1.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #3,283 of 3,824

The flat band which comes with IEM which ties the cables. You can use those to insert them in strain relied from both sides. They are right size and easily reversible.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #3,284 of 3,824

The flat band which comes with IEM which ties the cables. You can use those to insert them in strain relied from both sides. They are right size and easily reversible.

Would the top holes need to be plugged as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back