[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jul 30, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,256 of 3,824
I've heard the Tenores compared to the MH1C by Peter123.

Let me first say that I find the Tenores to be a great IEM . I guess one could say that they're a pretty straight upgrade from the Sony MH1C with much better controlled bass and the same extremely smooth over all presentation.

My main grip with the Tenores, compared to the VSD3S, are that they're a bit to thin sounding for my liking and I also find them to be to smoth (especially in the highs). The sound of the VSD3S are much fuller and it lso have a bit more bite in the treble making it more suitable for my liking. I actually can't think of one area were I think the Tenores perform better than the VSD3S. That's not saying that the Vsonics are better at everyting but they're better for my taste in the two things metonioned. Both sets offers very good separation and soundstage.

I'd say that might be a good IEM to look at.

EDIT: Damn, you guys beat me to it.

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,257 of 3,824
  I've heard the Tenores compared to the MH1C by Peter123.

I'd say that might be a good IEM to look at.

EDIT: Damn, you guys beat me to it.

Thanks, I will look into the Vsonics pair too. I think the thinness of the Tenore's would bother me a bit, but I don't think the MH1 is sounding thin. Are they comparable in this regard?

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,258 of 3,824

Thanks, I will look into the Vsonics pair too. I think the thinness of the Tenore's would bother me a bit, but I don't think the MH1 is sounding thin. Are they comparable in this regard?

If you want to look into the VSonic, check out Kova's comparison:

Mh1 is a bit warmer and fuller sounding. VSd3s' bass is tighter and more controlled but still north of neutral. Its mids sound just a bit more laid back than on the mh1 but are less colored and there is better instrument separation. The treble is still a touch hot and splashy at higher volume like the other vsonics but that's kinda of a vsonic trait and for most iems it's hard to really compete with the laid back and smooth mh1's highs if you're more sensitive and that's what you're looking for. Presentation and soundstage-wise is where the vsd3s makes the mh1 look really bad. The vsd3s has darker background with a lot lower noise floor and on top of that is very spacious. The mh1 is very very narrow and in your head and sounds very intimate and kinda congested in comparison. The vsd3s also sounds more accurate and focused overall.

I only know the Tenore anecdotally, so others can chime in there.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #3,259 of 3,824
  If you want to look into the VSonic, check out Kova's comparison:

I only know the Tenore anecdotally, so others can chime in there.

Wow, I didn't find the MH1 sound stage narrow at all. On the opposite the Ostry KC06A was really narrow compared to the MH1 and that's why I don't like them as much. I will try the VSd3 out. I will miss the Bass though. Both on the Tenores and the Vsonics. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,260 of 3,824
Weird. I find the ostry and mh1 similar in all those ways. The ostry is a little more V shaped than the mh1 with a good fit, but with a normal fit the mh1 is overall more bassy, but still more linear. The ostry has no isolation but that sometimes makes the fit very consistent.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,261 of 3,824
  Weird. I find the ostry and mh1 similar in all those ways. The ostry is a little more V shaped than the mh1 with a good fit, but with a normal fit the mh1 is overall more bassy, but still more linear. The ostry has no isolation but that sometimes makes the fit very consistent.

Hmm, maybe the Sony MH1 is hitting a sweet spot of me while the Ostry KC06A is missing it for another reason.
So far as I am understanding from the responses here, the Tenore comes the closest to the MH1 in terms of sound signature if I want to find a upgrade. Only the missing Bass would a problem for me. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,262 of 3,824

Hmm, maybe the Sony MH1 is hitting a sweet spot of me while the Ostry KC06A is missing it for another reason.
So far as I am understanding from the responses here, the Tenore comes the closest to the MH1 in terms of sound signature if I want to find a upgrade. Only the missing Bass would a problem for me. 

It depends on the tenore you get. They appear to vary greatly and also might have durability/performance issues. But with a more reference pair, yes, they are in the same vein as the mh1 but more linear and a less overall bass depending on the fits.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #3,265 of 3,824
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #3,266 of 3,824
I have just recabled a set with a 4-pin XLR and am listening to them in balanced mode out of my B.M.C. Puredac....oh my word...these MH-1s just keep surprising me

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,268 of 3,824
  Anyone know why one of my filters is muting all the sound, it literally blocks all the sound from coming out. Anyone know how to fix it or what to use as a replacement filter/mesh?

If you're careful enough, and use a needle, you'll be able to unglue the mesh from the filter, take it out, check if the filter has been bent (which is what happens on most cases), and put it back in place. Just don't poke the mesh in the middle. Pry it from the edges, and take your time with it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #3,269 of 3,824
  If you're careful enough, and use a needle, you'll be able to unglue the mesh from the filter, take it out, check if the filter has been bent (which is what happens on most cases), and put it back in place. Just don't poke the mesh in the middle. Pry it from the edges, and take your time with it.

I didn't even know it's mesh. It looks like a paper filter, guess the mesh is really fine? 

I have the one on the left. I don't see how a bent filter is blocking that much sound though. I'll try and see if it fixes it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back