[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jul 23, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,242 of 3,824
I ordered them for 6€ on the Amazon Germany:
http://www.amazon.de/Sony-Ericsson-LiveSound-Premium-Headset/dp/B005GDVBAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1406140709&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+MH+1

I hope they are not fakes

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #3,243 of 3,824
  I ordered them for 6€ on the Amazon Germany:
http://www.amazon.de/Sony-Ericsson-LiveSound-Premium-Headset/dp/B005GDVBAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1406140709&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+MH+1

I hope they are not fakes

The 2 pairs I've bought from ebay were around that price, and they weren't fakes so it's probable that those aren't either.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #3,245 of 3,824
  thanks, they ridiculously cheap right now for some reason. Excited to try them. Is is necessary to mod them to get a good sound?

You don't need to mod them at all - most people are modding the MH1/MH1C because the cable is very annoying.

Also, depending on what source you're using you may need an adapter for the headphones you purchased.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #3,246 of 3,824
  thanks, they ridiculously cheap right now for some reason. Excited to try them. Is is necessary to mod them to get a good sound?

Like jekostas said, depending on the source you use, you might have to do one of a few things to get proper sound (because of the OMTP standard used on the 4 pole jack).
If you use one of the older sony ericsson phones, it will work right out of the box. Most of the other sources, will need one of a few fixes like:
-A zip tie around the middle button, which can be easily removed when you don't need it;
-Buy a TRRS smart adapter;
-Open the remote control and solder together the mic and ground wires (you can see a pic of it here)
-Re-cable them (if you find the cable too annoying)
This applies mostly to the MH-1s, since the MH-1C already have a CTIA standard 4 pole jack. In this case, you can however, re-cable if you want.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3,247 of 3,824
  Like jekostas said, depending on the source you use, you might have to do one of a few things to get proper sound (because of the OMTP standard used on the 4 pole jack).
If you use one of the older sony ericsson phones, it will work right out of the box. Most of the other sources, will need one of a few fixes like:
-A zip tie around the middle button, which can be easily removed when you don't need it;
-Buy a TRRS smart adapter;
-Open the remote control and solder together the mic and ground wires (you can see a pic of it here)
-Re-cable them (if you find the cable too annoying)
This applies mostly to the MH-1s, since the MH-1C already have a CTIA standard 4 pole jack. In this case, you can however, re-cable if you want.

I just got them and I must agree that the cables are the worst thing I could ever imagine. A true nightmare.
At least I had coincidentally a adapter at home from my old Sony Ericsson
I am satisfied with the sound though. To me they are a pretty neutral and balanced pair of earphones, but they require a more power to get the volume. All in all a great addition to my collection!

Is there an easy way to recable them? If not these phones will only used as home device as they are very hard to handle in general,because of the cables.( not only the flat design but especially the asymmetry *anger*)
And do they change at all by burn in? 

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,248 of 3,824
I just got them and I must agree that the cables are the worst thing I could ever imagine. A true nightmare.
At least I had [COLOR=000000]coincidentally[/COLOR] a adapter at home from my old Sony Ericsson
I am satisfied with the sound though. To me they are a pretty neutral and balanced pair of earphones, but they require a more power to get the volume. All in all a great addition to my collection!

Is there an easy way to recable them? If not these phones will only used as home device as they are very hard to handle in general,because of the cables.( not only the flat design but especially the asymmetry *anger*)
And do they change at all by burn in? 

A while back, the user luisdent,posted a complete tutorial to re-cable the MH-1s all the way to the driver.
Here it is:
http://handtokey.blogspot.pt/2014/05/sony-mh1-recable-by-luisdent-tutorial.html?m=1

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,249 of 3,824
Wow this community is really passionate. No way I gonna try that since I lack skills, tools and everything else.

Btw the sound is getting awesome now with a proper seal. Very balanced across the board. Unbelievable for 5€.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3,252 of 3,824
what's is the best upgrade to MH1 with the better quality and (very) slight morequantity Bass and same or better sound stage? I like this wide surround sound from these!

Better than the MH1 with more bass? Doesn't exist imo. The MH1 has some of the best mids and treble of any iem imo. If it's more sound stage you want though, I might recommend something with less mids. Not sure what though. I can't think of anything with more bass than the MH1 that I'd recommend.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,253 of 3,824
Better than the MH1 with more bass? Doesn't exist imo. The MH1 has some of the best mids and treble of any iem imo. If it's more sound stage you want though, I might recommend something with less mids. Not sure what though. I can't think of anything with more bass than the MH1 that I'd recommend.

Ok, to be honest I am quite satisfied with my MH1's sound signature. How are they described as here? It's not even they lack Bass and i find them neither warm nor cold sounding. But to describe as neutral would make people thinking they might be boring as they are not. What do you mean with best treble and mids? I think they are not emphasized, but they do sound great.

An similar IEM with same the qualities as the MH1C would be great to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back