[Review] Sensaphonics j-phonics - the BEST professional universal stage ear monitor yet
Mar 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #106 of 208
Taka is a great guy. I emailed him a few times and he always replied super fast. I hope he can get back to his family soon though by the look at TV this morning, the train is still down, as is almost everything else.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #107 of 208
@shigzeo

I'm a sucker for forward, sweet, and lush mid-ranges ala the SM3, RE262, e-Q7, would you say the W4 or the j-phonic is more appropriate for me? I love the W4 and their rendition of the midrange is smooth as silk and still slightly forward, but sometimes I feel myself wanting the midrange to be a little less polite and a little more sweet and intimate (if that makes any sense).

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #108 of 208
With all that has, and is happening in Japan, I'm wondering how realistic it is for Sensaphonics Japan to receive an order, and then be able to ship product to Canada. I assume there will be some delays, at a minimum.

I am planning to make an IEM decision later this week, and I'm trying to guage whether the j-phonics are still a near-term option for me.

Terry.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #109 of 208
Just spoke to Taka today. Sensaphonics Japan is accepting online orders, and has product in stock to ship. I don't know the particulars, but my understanding is that you can still make drop-ship arrangements.

Their English-language website for intl (non-Japanese) orders is http://www.j-phonic.com/ .
Just click the Online Store tab and they walk you through the whole process step by step. Payment method is credit card via Paypal. They are also responsive to email; use the Contact link.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #111 of 208
In a recent conversation, Taka noted that a majority of Japanese customers prefer the SP version to the MX, and that most MX users are non-musicians who are into jazz/classical.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #114 of 208
They arrived today, much to my surprise. I assumed it would be a few weeks, but they came only 8 days after I placed the order. I'm very pleased with order fulfillment and delivery.

I ordered:  j-phonic K2 sp, piano black, L-type plug, 95cm cable, 1030 / blue Pelican microcase

So far, they seem very balanced, but with a bit less "sparkle" or presence in the high-end than I'm used to with my studio monitors (Dynaudio BM5a). I noticed the same kind of difference between the Dynaudio's and a very old set of Tannoy dual-concentric speakers that I have. A bit of EQ will probably address this, if I really want it. I'm sorry, but my only other reference is the set of ear buds that came with my iPhone 4.

What I'm very curious about is how linear the mid-range turns out to be. This is where low to mid-level stage monitors have fallen apart for me. It's a frequency range that is critical for overdriven guitar tones. A peak in the wrong place can take a lead tone from pleasant to biting. I'll have to report back after I've had some time to work with the j-phonics and my guitar.

So far, the j-phonics are very comfortable. The profile is low enough that I should be able to enjoy them in the winter when I have a toque (head covering) on. That's good news.

Now, I need to find a case for them that will fit in a pocket when I walk around. Any suggestions?

Terry.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #115 of 208

Quote:
...Now, I need to find a case for them that will fit in a pocket when I walk around. Any suggestions?

Terry.

In a pinch an empty (and washed) altoids tin will do the trick. If you want an actual case, I'm partial to the meelectronics semi-soft carrying case. Both options are cheap, and will fit in a pocket.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #117 of 208
Jack, has anyone tested the j-phonics with the dB Check? I understand that the j-phonics are based on the 2X-S drivers, so perhaps it will work out of the box on that setting. If not, are there any plans to add support for the j-phonics to dB Check?

Terry.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #118 of 208
To answer your first question: not that I know of.
Second question: don't know.

Sorry if that's unsatisfying, but I'm an outside consultant, not an employee.

The 2MAX is based on the 2X-S driver structure as well, but its higher sensitivity required its own setting within dB Check. A quick look at the published specs is inconclusive:

2X-S -- Impedance 27 ohms minimum, sensitivity 100 dB-SPL at 0.1 V.
2MAX -- Impedance 23 ohms minimum, sensitivity 105 dB-SPL at 0.1 V.
j-phonic K2 -- Impedance 27 ohms nominal, sensitivity 109 dB

As you can see, things don't match up exactly, so I imagine engineers and testing will be involved before a definitive answer is available. Remember, the j-phonics were developed independently.

BTW, the Sensaphonics website has been revamped and now includes a basic product page on the j-phonic K2. To buy them though, you still have to order via Sensaphonics Japan. At least for now.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #119 of 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKontney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 2MAX is based on the 2X-S driver structure as well, but its higher sensitivity required its own setting within dB Check. A quick look at the published specs is inconclusive:

2X-S -- Impedance 27 ohms minimum, sensitivity 100 dB-SPL at 0.1 V.
2MAX -- Impedance 23 ohms minimum, sensitivity 105 dB-SPL at 0.1 V.
j-phonic K2 -- Impedance 27 ohms nominal, sensitivity 109 dB

As you can see, things don't match up exactly, so I imagine engineers and testing will be involved before a definitive answer is available. Remember, the j-phonics were developed independently.

The impedance is the same (2X-S to j-phonic K2) so it may be a simple matter of adding 9dB to the displayed SPL when listening on the j-phonic, while using dB Check on the 2X-S setting. That will of course cause an error in the recommended listening hours for that level, but in my case that may not be an issue. I've suffered with Tinnitus for about 15 years and I'm used to metering an environment and working out safe listening times. What I don't know is how loud these things really are inside my ears (SPL), which I'd really like to get a handle on.

I'll give The Sound Guy at Sensaphonics a call.

Quote:
BTW, the Sensaphonics website has been revamped and now includes a basic product page on the j-phonic K2. To buy them though, you still have to order via Sensaphonics Japan. At least for now.

I noticed that. The new site looks good.

Thanks Jack.

Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back