REVIEW: Sennheiser HD 800
Jul 4, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #316 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, to the degree possible, I think Skylab's review is authoritative. For Skylab's ears. So my suggestion would be to get defensive only if you happen to have Skylab's ears.

LOL! Whatever Rangen's drinking -- I'll have one of those, too!
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #317 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to admit, there have been many posts that I would have commented on but I seem to have to read them in bunches when I have time, thus my comments would have been dated.
I did find this one(that you commented on) particularly amusing after the negativity about the HD800s from robm321 in many of his posts and then him stating that he was looking forward to hearing for himself soon. Kinda took me by surprise.

Yeah, kinda like a surfer dude who never gets his baggies wet.
icon10.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #319 of 632
The HD800s are very flexible in what sound they produce. They probably have the widest range I've experienced in any headphone from the top to bottom of the sound spectrum. Though they do have a signature that it starts with. This flexibility also makes them hard to review.

This means that what you have upstream matters. And those characteristics of your "system" is reflected through the 800s combined with the starting signature of the 800s.

I've personally made the 800s sound thin, full, slow, syrupy, bright, dark, all by just tuberolling and changing cables (compared to the GS1000s or the O2s I've owned these are able to deviate in the sound the most from upstream changes). So I can't imagine what changing components can do. This has been my experience so far trying to make 800s work.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #320 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by sling5s
"I really do foresee a HD850 coming next year with more bass and more smoothed out and refined treble."

There are those who are clamoring for it so it may happen but if it does i will stay with the HD800s and forgo the veil. The clarity is just wonderful, if i want heavy sweet bass i can always don the DX1000s or go put on the 650s for a while(although the 650s have become unfulfilling). I do feel that these(800s) are neutral and a reference phone as opposed to either of those though.

x2. I can't see anything I'd want to change in these, except maybe a more accurate soundstage. If they do make a bass heavy version, you can be sure they won't be called the HD850, more like the HD750. Sennheiser believes these are reference headphones, so any tweak to that would make them sub-reference, not super-reference.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #321 of 632
Why is the HD 650 not 550 then
smily_headphones1.gif
... If I would be sennheiser I would of course make that the 850 if they would make a 800 with rolled off treble and bass boost.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #322 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
john53, i know not many people hear this 'effect', but yes, i have mentioned a few times about this 'hollow' ness in the soundstage. i'm not sure if it is the same with what other described as diffuse soundstage. i listen two times, one with sennheiser and one with the local store, i confirm i hear the same 'hollow' feeling with different source and amp. but maybe some people like this 'feature' and associated it as great soundstage.

and the bass, to me, with heed canamp, the bass quantity is ok, a little to the lean side, but i don't have problem with that, but i find it is not as hard-hitting as my 650. anybody want to confirm this?

Hi Redbull

I indeed have noticed that hollow effect,it was like that some instruments didn't have the right presence into the soundstage,they sounded a bit distant or a bit without the appropriate body/weight,but the overall sound wasn't distant/laidback.And the main vocals,for example,were always ok.
This,combined with the wide soundstage,gave me the impression of a "gap",of a somewhat hollow feeling,like something wasn't 100% right with some instruments into the soundstage.(sorry for the not so good description,there is a limitation with my english
redface.gif
)
To give another description,the soundstage,although it was open with good width and ok depth,it gave me the impression that it was like somebody used a 3d effect or something like that,to achieve this soundstage..But i repeat that it was minimal(not enough to distract me for enjoying the music)
I still find headphones to have a limitation in that aspect(soundstage),compared to good speakers setups(never heard the k1000 though)

For the bass now,i found it to be very good,it had better definition than the hd 600,with good impact,depth and control.It was a clear improvement compared to my hd 600's.The hd 600 are a bit thicker/muddier by comparison.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #323 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Redbull

I indeed have noticed that hollow effect,it was like that some instruments didn't have the right presence into the soundstage,they sounded a bit distant or a bit without the appropriate body/weight,but the overall sound wasn't distant/laidback.And the main vocals,for example,were always ok.
This,combined with the wide soundstage,gave me the impression of a "gap",of a somewhat hollow feeling,like something wasn't 100% right with some instruments into the soundstage.(sorry for the not so good description,there is a limitation with my english
redface.gif
)
To give another description,the soundstage,although it was open with good width and ok depth,it gave me the impression that it was like somebody used a 3d effect or something like that,to achieve this soundstage..But i repeat that it was minimal(not enough to distract me for enjoying the music)
I still find headphones to have a limitation in that aspect(soundstage),compared to good speakers setups(never heard the k1000 though)

For the bass now,i found it to be very good,it had better definition than the hd 600,with good impact,depth and control.It was a clear improvement compared to my hd 600's.The hd 600 are a bit thicker/muddier by comparison.

john53, I am not hearing anything hollow within the soundstage presentation. Instruments seem to fill a real space, focus and transparency are brilliant. I am listening balanced though... I have never heard the HD800 single ended.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #325 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
john53, I am not hearing anything hollow within the soundstage presentation. Instruments seem to fill a real space, focus and transparency are brilliant. I am listening balanced though... I have never heard the HD800 single ended.

Well,i believe that the reason i felt that is because i am used to the more "closed in",and somewhat warmer sound of the hd 600's...or because of my source/cables maybe...

When i auditioned the hd 800,the demo lasted about 3 hours.the last 30 minutes i noticed that this hollowness improved a bit,and soundstage and imaging became more precise.
My x can v8 needs many hours to reach it's full potential if it's not on all the time.
I should mention for 1 more time that this effect was minimal and i could easily live with it.At the end,i clearly preffered the hd 800 to my hd 600's.I enjoyed it better,the music was more dynamic,effortless,lifelike and timing was considerably better when compared to my hd 600.

Just enjoy your cans.They are really good.If i find the money in the future,i'll probably pick a pair.But i'm not sure yet...I want to buy some other gear first
icon10.gif
(psu,better cables,i think i'm really spoiled now
tongue.gif
)

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #326 of 632
Now that we have two reviews of the DX1000-vs-HD800 clash – in the most simple-minded of terms, “it’s a tie” (Rangen), “it’s the DX1000” (Skylab) – and two reviews (or mini-reviews, or scattered-but-thoughtful posts) on the DX1000-vs-D7000 clash – essentially, “it’s the D7000, but barely” (Wovenhand), “it’s the DX1000, but barely” (yours truly) -- here’s my wish list (in no particular order):

1. A detailed comparison between the GS1000i and the PS1000 on first-rate equipment. (SQ-wise, is the PS1000 simply a GS1000i with heavy, expensive-looking door knobs attached to the chambers for those who are impressed by 50s-sci-fi-looking gear?);

2. A detailed comparison between the HD800 and the D7000 – but only from those who know and prefer first-rate full-range speakers (even if they can’t afford them);

3. A detailed comparison between the HD800 and any of the top Grado’s mentioned above;

4. A detailed comparison between the Edition 8 and any of the above.

5. At least a second opinion on the D7000-vs-GS1000i (in addition to Paulchiu’s valuable posts).

Head-Fi cognoscenti, help!

beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #327 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Redbull

redface.gif
)

Thanks John53, this is EXACTLY what I'm hearing as well, but it is quite small that's why I need someone to confirm this. Maybe only us to be unfortunate enough to hear this
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe we have the same sound preference
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe because I don't have a chance to listen with low enough volume that's why the 'bouncing' sound come about, I still don't know, but very anxious to try again in a quite room with low volume.

I'm still kinda in the mixed feeling. I'm not in the position to be able to A/B them properly with my setup. I wish in my country we have the 30 days return policy, I will surely have HD800 at home RIGHT NOW and compare it extensively. One time, coming back from Sennheiser auditioning, I thought HD800 sounds 'weird' (read: different), due to this 'hollow' sensation, then I reach home, immediately I listen to my setup, unexpectedly, I was surprised, it sounds harsh and like listening in a small room now, but this little here and there with HD800, topped with NO 30 return policy makes me have to rely on all of your impressions try to 'feel' it in my ears, for now. I keep phoning my local shop every now and then if the HD800 is ready for testing again, but not yet, argghh ...

So, lucky for those that can bring home this baby and compare one to one with exactly the same components they have.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #329 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Feifan, I can't wait to read your review...
biggrin.gif

OK. Here's a mini-review of the HD800's dynamics:

Equipment: HeadRoom Desktop maxed (Oct '06) + DPS; computer as source via USB; WAV files.

Test tracks: The free download sampler that was available from HDtracks, which included five tracks: (1) “The Snow Maiden: Dance of the Tumblers” from Exotic Dances from the Opera, Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra, 1996, Reference Recordings; (2) “Lucia” from Entre Cada Palabra (courtesy of Chesky Records). Marta Gomez, 2005, Chesky Records; (3) “Big Bad Girl” from Louisiana Country Boy, Harry “Big Daddy” Hypolite, 2001, Analogue Productions; (4) “Misery” from Unauthorized, Dave’s True Story, 2000, Chesky Records; (5) “Mozart Violin Concerto in G Major KV216” from Mozart Violin Concertos, Marianne Thorsen and the TrondheimSolistene, 2006, Lindberg Lyd AS.

In terms of dynamics, the HD800 is extremely revealing, especially in the soft passages, e.g., tracks 1, 2, 3. At pianissimo, my first instinct was to crank up the volume. But that resulted in instant irritability and rapid fatigue caused by crescendo. Returning the volume to a comfortable level (12 o'clock), I realized that the HD800 is extremely revealing all the way down to pp. Even at the softest, the accuracy and clarity is amazing.

The HD800 is revealing throughout the spectrum -- lows, mids, and highs. It's accurate from mezzo-piano through piano and pp. Diminuendo and perdendo are clear and smooth as silk, completely transparent.

The price one pays for this dynamic accuracy over a wide range is a conscious effort to keep fingers away from the volume knob to get at (to amplify) the soft levels. The reward, though, is an appreciation for the nuance and beauty that's in the soft, wich is crucial to the whole arrangement. See Uncle Erik's post #240 re the importance of dynamics, written from the perspective of a performer who played "the big clarinets and tuba." His point is that low-mid-high dynamics should vary according to (or in relation to) the demands of the music.

My favorite among the five tracks is Marta Gomez's “Lucia.” This track erases any doubts that I might've had about the lyrical capacity of the HD800. When there's warmth and sweetness -- musicality -- in a track, I hear it.

In this lineup, with this content, the HD800 gives me the best dynamics, clarity, and musicality I've yet to experience.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #330 of 632
Question to all of you attacking Skylab. If you own an HD 800, have your own equipment, several sources, several amps, and other headphones going to start your own thread, your own review, and quit messing up this thread? Several of you had your HD 800's before Skylab received a pair to evaluate. Are you scared of what others would say?

We all hear differently period.

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back