REVIEW: Sennheiser HD 800
Jul 3, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #286 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mudshark, if Ayre, Krell, or Esoteric are truly, actually required for the HD800 to sound good, then they will appeal to a very, very small percentage of the population, indeed.

Just to build on that, I am using my Luxman P-1 as my primary box with lots of capacitors and resisitors in it, to enjoy and compare my HD800's with.

But, you know what? My $300 Head-Direct EF-1 does a damn good job driving the 800's to their fullest potential. An amp's qualities is not necessarily indicative to it's price (but, then again, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this theory).

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #287 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommended skylab(in another thread) to try out the x can v8 and i didn't get any reply.It is just not very kind to ignore newcomers this way.I know i'm not so experienced like some other members but i think i deserve a reply when i ask something.
It's not nice to ignore opinions by newcomers just because they don't have THE experience with expensive high end amps and cans,and don't listen to super high quality recordings(jazz,classical etc)
Sorry if i sound a bit bad with this post,but sometimes i feel that if somebody doesn't have too much experience with hi end stuff,his opinions don't count here.

Hi john53, maybe he is just swamped with so many questions in so many threads. I always get a reply from him, if he doesn't reply, PM him, easier for him to answer your question this way.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #288 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to build on that, I am using my Luxman P-1 as my primary box with lots of capacitors and resisitors in it, to enjoy and compare my HD800's with.

But, you know what? My $300 Head-Direct EF-1 does a damn good job driving the 800's to their fullest potential. An amp's qualities is not necessarily indicative to it's price (but, then again, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this theory).

Indeed, I thought the HD800's sounded excellent with the $375 Audio-GD C-2-C amplifier.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #289 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great review skylab. At last, a real full size review that's readable, not just fan comments raving about these like maniacs.

hat happened to your kicas? Don't you have it anymore?

I like you comment nadavnaz
smily_headphones1.gif
especially the maniacs part
smily_headphones1.gif
especially the super long I just see, kinda a bit irritating
wink.gif

We all know not all headphones are perfect, it's just common sense, even the Orpheous isn't perfect, why just tell what you hear and not to say others is wrong, it's really immature and doesn't help, I would say.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #290 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many amps do people want Skylab to try? If you approach arguments that way, then every headphone is perfect, you just have to find the perfect amp, cable, power supply, DAC, source, humidity, sampling rate, and heaven knows what else before a headphone sounds right. If you approach things that way then the sound signature of a headphone is never captured and all reviews are BS. In such a scenario nobody has a valid opinion.

Ha ha ha, this is so very true odigg ... I like the "humidity" one, so funny
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #291 of 632
Quote:

Indeed, I thought the HD800's sounded excellent with the $375 Audio-GD C-2-C amplifier.

I'm pleased with the performance from my Yamaha receiver's headphone jack
biggrin.gif
It'll have to do till I can afford a balanced setup, but right now I don't see a need to upgrade.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #292 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wonder what the underlying insecurity of some HD800 owners is, that they will even side with Feifan's transparent attempt to undermine skylabs review without ever challenging the actual sounds as skylab has mentioned.

Or to give endless suggestions to "fix" the issues that they never even admitted the HD800 had until now when potential buyers were asking for the negatives?

I will be hearing the HD800 soon and will post my thoughts. I'm sure if I say anything negative then it will be said I didn't listen out of the right amp. I didn't place them on the head at the right angle, or the moon was out of phase while I was listening, but I will stick by what I hear without bias one way or another. Boomana just sold hers in favor of her R10s and O2s. Greggf also sent his back after being disappointing. The HD800s seem to be just another flavor that some really enjoy and others don't connect to the music with. What's new? - that's the case with all other headphones. It is what it is, so just enjoy the music.

You're genius!
beerchug.gif
ha ha ha ...

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #293 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by MooBin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many many thanks for this really exeptional work in many aspects from you, Skylab ! Credible and sensitive ! As a conclusion this makes me hope for a Mark 2 Version with more bass and less exposed treble - this would be it then, or not ? Why not dreaming about this one - SENNHEISER to the rescue ! And then we have it: the almost perfect Headphone - or not ?
smile_phones.gif

Yeah, my dream:
- A little less explode treble
- A little warmer sound
- More bass and bass attack
- Less holographic soundstage

With its current great:
- Midrange
- Detail
- Better soundstage
- Tighter bass
- Air

For the new HD850
smily_headphones1.gif
just like HD600 vs HD650

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #294 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do foresee a HD850 coming next year with more bass and more smoothed out and refined treble.
And so many will prefer the HD800 and while others the HD850, much like the HD600 and HD650.

Ok, I will reserve the HD850
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #295 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Trash"? Imo the source point is very valid and it doesn't detract from recognizing the effort Skylab put in his review. Ppl are just taking all this history too personally, quite frankly.
Speaking of extremes here, but should one write down a 50'000-words review of the HD800 paired to an Ipod, then no one could raise some doubts as a sign of respect just because he put some time to write the review? Forum is about debating (without exceeding to personalisms), if one doesn't want to debate the solution is to put the review in a blog or on one site so that ppl can't reply or comment.

Amen.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #296 of 632
Skylab,

1. a great review. thanks
beerchug.gif

2. (purely subjetive) for how much would you grab this pair? (what do you think the adequate value should be) or would you simply not grab this at all?
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #297 of 632
Quote:

Hi Skylab,

Can you expound on that a bit?

This is why.

graphCompare.php

I expect SS NFB amps to respond quite differently than tubes, particularly OTL. Note the impedance up, and the "trend" relative from HD650->HD600->HD800. Higher damping factor with respect to frequency. OTL amps tend to have high output impedance and NFB amps, low, particularly SS which will likely be below 1 ohm. Tube NFB amps will likely be very light NFB and still have higher output impedance.

One other interesting thing to gauge, reducing the damping factor by increasing the output impedance of the amp (120 ohm adapter, etc.).

This is probably not your interest though, but thought I would ask if you've noticed anything trending between your amps (if you know all the tech specs of them), subtle as they may be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #298 of 632
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be hearing the HD800 soon and will post my thoughts.

If I'm reading this statement correctly, robm321 has never heard the HD800. If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #299 of 632
Okay, so I am listening to Patricia Barber’s “Nightclub” MFSL SACD with the following system I cobbled together from gear that was in different rooms around the house:

Esoteric DV-60 > Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway Mk.III > Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 > Senn HD800.

The Esoteric and the MF are both plugged into a PS Audio Quintessence Power Center that is plugged into a double-cryo'ed Oyaide R1 AC receptacle. The power cord on the Esoteric is the Shunyata Research Powersnakes' Python.

There is not even a hint of glare on the sweet and grain-free treble. The bass is deep and melodic and sounds correct in the mix. The sound stage is gloriously holographic. Patty’s piano is so musical you would think she was in the room. Her voice sounds just right (I have seen her live in concert and have heard her recordings on many systems including ones costing many multiples of what I am currently using).

If there is a potential weak link in this test system, it is the MF X-Can v2. It still has the stock tubes, which have several years of occasional use on them. One complaint I have heard about the X-Can v2 with stock tubes is that it is “bright.” Guess what, though: no brightness problem at all with the HD800’s in circuit!

In short, I think the HD800’s tonal balance is spectacular, and I believe the limits of what these cans can do are defined by one’s upstream components.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #300 of 632
Quote:

I can promise you, it's not for the thin skinned or faint of heart
darthsmile.gif

Keep it up, it will encourage more people to spend time to do productive review for us to read, and learn to ignore rude attacks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back