Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jun 26, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #2,431 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoober22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first post on head-fi and this thread was instrumental in getting me started. Just wanted to say thanks to Skylab for his time and effort in doing these reviews and to others for their input on this thread. Looking forward to learning more about this addiction, er hobby.

Thank you for your kind words, and welcome to our crazy hobby!

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #2,432 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your kind words, and welcome to our crazy hobby!

But try not to get crazy like the hobby
normal_smile .gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #2,433 of 3,234
Hi, I also bought the Meier Porta Corda III based on your review of it and I am very happy with the sound. Its much better than my old Cmoy based amp and the fact that it is also a DAC is an added bonus !

Thanks a ton !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2,435 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by socalpimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone reviewed the Vividaudiotech V1 in detail? I just got this off Ebay and with my Grado 325's it sounds really bright....Just wondering about others opinion with this V1.

I found the exact same thing with Grados in my review - see link: UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

In my review the V1 was great with HD600's, and you could pick up a pair of those from Blutarsky if you act fast and PM him.
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #2,436 of 3,234
Steve Deckert from Decware sent me a new version of the Decware Zenhead to listen to. The amp has some improvements, which Steve explained as follows:

Quote:

The things that have changed have all been improvements to the original design, from sonics, to a longer circuit board to eliminate G-Forces from damaging the volume control when the unit is dropped. The sound can be substantial better with all lower impedance phones < 250ohms and most high efficiency phones of 600 ohms by setting the unit to LoZ output. Putting it in HiZ mode makes it exactly like it was when you heard it. HiZ mode will drive low impedance phones, as we already know. It's just that the LoZ to me sounds much better. You can hear the change on the fly.

This was indeed my experience - the performance does improve quite a bit in meaningful ways, and as such, I updated the review, and I also raised the ZenHead in my ranking.

> Decware ZenHead

DECWARE / High Fidelity Engineering Co.

NOTE: This review updated with new model July 09.

I was asked by Decware, a maker of many high-end tube amps, to review their portable headphone amp, The ZenHead. When I received it, I was surprised about the size – it’s BIG. It’s as big as the Lisa III. It uses a 9V battery, and has no charging facility. Like the Lisa III, it’s really too big for many portable applications. Decware’s Steve Deckert said that he did not really try to keep the size down for the same reason that he didn’t include a batter charging circuit – he was going purely for the best sound he could. Certainly a good goal. However, while in the case of the Lisa III I felt the superior sonics could justify the size, the Zenhead is merely a very good, competitive sounding amp, that is really big.

OK, OK, but how did it sound???? Well, very good. Overall, I felt that Decware’s main business of selling tube amps shows in how the amp is voiced. It sounds like many tube amps I have heard. As such, its sound is a little idiosyncratic. I struggled some with the normal ratings I give, in terms of capturing the essence of the amp. On some tracks it sounded fantastic; on others, merely very good. In it's "LoZ setting" it was more neutral sounding than the "HiZ" setting, so I used this mode.

Build Quality: A: Pretty industrial, plain looking case, but very sturdy, and solidly built. No turn on/off thump. Totally silent also – no noise at ALL. No points for style, but none deducted for cheap plastics – it’s all metal.
Treble: A: Treble is quite clear. Very transparent. Maybe not as extended as the iQube, but still excellent. Better than in version 1.
Midrange: A: Slightly lush, but very transparent, and clear. Highly engaging performance here. Again, better than in version 1 - liquid and smooth but with great nuance.
Bass: A: The bass was excellent. Full, powerful, punchy. Lacked the very last bit of depth that the iQube has, but still truly excellent.
Neutrality: A: The new version is basically neutral in "LoZ" mode - maybe just a very slight warmth in the lower mids and upper bass, but not enough to be problematic.
Soundstaging: A+: The ZenHead has selectable crossfeed. I found that its soundstage was deep and wide, and truly palpable. It excelled here, even better than the 2Move with the Meier crossfeed on. If you are a soundstage freak, this amp is for you.
Transparency: A: Definitely in the class of amps that presents a wide-open window on the music. Very good performance here.

The V2 of the ZenHead offers a quite "tube-like" sound in "Hi-Z" mode, and a more neutral, very transparent sound in "Lo-Z" mode. This makes a very good amp even better. I like the ZenHead a lot - I just wish it were smaller.

Conclusions (7-24-09)

NOTE: All new reviews have to be added to the end of the thread due to the length of this post - only the rankings will now change.

OK, so now it’s now 47 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III @ $600.00; Power supply is $350 additional
2. Qables iQube @ $605.00
2. RSA Mustang P-51 (review here) @ $375.00
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)
3. Headamp Pico @ $349.00
3. Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE) (3MOVE @ $270.00)
4. RSA SR71 @ $395.00
4. RSA The Predator @ $475.00
5. RSA The Hornet “M” @ $370.00
5. Decware Zenhead @ $295.00
6. Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
7. RSA Tomahawk @ $295.00
7. Meier Audio XXS / Headsix @ $166.00/187.00
8. TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid @ $459.00
8. iBasso D3 Python $219.00 (review here)
9. Xin Reference @ $279.99
9. Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
9. Xin SuperMicro IV (current version auditioned 1/22/08) @ $199.99
10. ALO Double Mini3 (review here) @ $235.00
10. Headamp AE-2 @ $349.00
10. Graham Slee Voyager @ $233.00 + S&H from UK
11. iBasso D2 Boa $165.00 (review here)
11. Go-Vibe 7
11. Mini3 (Price depends on build) built @ $125.00
12. Leckerton Audio UHA-3 @ $189.00
13. Portaphile V2^2 @ $275.00
14. mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
14. Mini-Box E @ $229.00
15. Storm 3 (NOT B3) (review here)
15. Storm Little-2 (review here)
15. Storm B4
16. iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
17. Visely HEA- 1 @ $135.00
18. Microshar uAmp107 @ $135.00
18. Practical Devices XM4 @ $135.00
18. C&C XO @ $209.00
19 Music Max LT1 $99 (Review here)
19. iBasso T2 (T4@ $109.00)
20. NuForce $99 (review here)
20. Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
21. Xtra X-1 Pro @ $104.00
22. Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
22. iBasso T1 (discontinued)
23. Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
24. C&C Box V2
25. Storm B3
25. Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #2,437 of 3,234
Thanks for the updated review Rob. I went on the Decware site but the V2 does not show up. Did Steve indicate when this would be available or are all Zenhead orders being sent out with V2 version?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the ZenHead a lot - I just wish it were smaller.

Ditto for me
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #2,439 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoober22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the updated review Rob. I went on the Decware site but the V2 does not show up. Did Steve indicate when this would be available or are all Zenhead orders being sent out with V2 version?

I will have to ask him, but my impression is that current orders get the version of the amp I just reviewed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great job - I have about 5 pending reviews to complete before I am able to do a review of the Decware amp, so i am glad to see you got it done!

I look forward to your comments - I think the Zenhead is a top-tier amp - will be interested to see what you think.

I now must turn my attention to 4 new Chinese portable amps I've been sent...

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #2,443 of 3,234
re: "I now must turn my attention to 4 new Chinese portable amps I've been sent.."

Hi Skylab! I really look forward to the review! Your portable amp roundup is one of my favorites reading here! Let`s hope one of them portables is not a tubebased Singlepower!

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #2,445 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by arirug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
re: "I now must turn my attention to 4 new Chinese portable amps I've been sent.."

Hi Skylab! I really look forward to the review! Your portable amp roundup is one of my favorites reading here! Let`s hope one of them portables is not a tubebased Singlepower!

LOL! That I assure you it is not
wink.gif
Thanks for the kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back