Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Nov 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2,462 of 3,234
Heck with it... I decided to just try out an ALO Rx regardless- it's ordered. The few reviews I've read so far are so positive I figured there would be minimal risk of not liking it. So I'll have the Shadow and Rx to compare on my own.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #2,463 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck with it... I decided to just try out an ALO Rx regardless- it's ordered. The few reviews I've read so far are so positive I figured there would be minimal risk of not liking it. So I'll have the Shadow and Rx to compare on my own.

Hey cn11 I ordered the Alo Rx as well. I simply couldn't wait for anymore impressions. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts about it with regards to "the shadow" in time to come.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2,464 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey cn11 I ordered the Alo Rx as well. I simply couldn't wait for anymore impressions. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts about it with regards to "the shadow" in time to come.

Yeah, I look forward to hearing it very much. It sounds as though it's quite spectacular. I am expecting it to better the Shadow. We'll see. I'll update with impressions once both are a bit more burned in. Shadow is still very low on hours...

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #2,465 of 3,234
The ALO Rx at RMAF sounded very good - I love my P-51 and consider it to be my best portable amp, and the Rx was at least as good during the brief time I spent with it. I think I listened to it with both a re-cabled Edition 9 and an HD600 (or my RS-1, I forget now). It made me miss my Edition 9.

My only problem was the size being thicker and wider than I care for when pairing with my iPod nano (or iPhone). But I think the RX paired with the digital line out dock/DAC in the same case will still be a slimmer package than my portable Vcap dock and P-51. It will sit flatter as well and not tip over if I press the controls on the iMod, so I have thought about maybe getting it for that, since I would like the iPod digital out DAC device someday.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #2,466 of 3,234
I do see that it is bigger than the other slim amps coming out now, but I'm planning on it being a 'semi-portable', and it would see the majority of its duty from my desk at work. From what I'm reading about its sound it could very well be the best choice for that role at the present time.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #2,468 of 3,234
^^ Glad to hear that!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #2,469 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will have a review of the Rx soon - it is a stunning piece of equipment

And that stunning piece of equipment should be "hear" soon!!
icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #2,470 of 3,234
Same 'hear'.... It's supposed to be delivered today, but I had trouble entering my work address on their site, even sent an email to them to try and get it corrected, but only just got the automated shipping notification. If it comes to my home I won't get it until I'm home this evening... if it managed to get shipped to my work address I'll get to play with it some during the day. Hoping for the latter.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #2,472 of 3,234
I'd like to see Skylab review the Rx and the D4, but I realise that he doesnt have access to every amp under the sun. Now that HPA has posted his glowing impressions of the D4 straight from the box, stocks of that amp may go the way of the Rx.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #2,473 of 3,234
Actually, I will be reviewing the iBasso D4, as well as the T4, in the next few weeks.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2,474 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I will be reviewing the iBasso D4, as well as the T4, in the next few weeks.

oooh... interesting... any way you could review the new T3 instead of the T4? word around here is that it's a significant improvement over the T4.

yeoman's work you're doing in this thread, by the way... much appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #2,475 of 3,234
I'm wondering how Headroom's amps fit into these quality-wise? Have you listened to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back