[REVIEW] Philips SHE9850
Dec 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #61 of 72
ClieOs, do you have any impressions about the Klipsch X10 in comparison with these? They are both single balanced armatures - I've got a pair of X10s over the holiday sale but my girlfriend has taken them on a trip with her before I got to listen to them much. I remember the sound being pleasant, but then I put on the SHE9850 and thought they weren't much different. This was with a few days gap and audio-memory is pretty short so I'd love to hear your impressions to help me decide if I'm going to keep them.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #62 of 72
I listened to X10 a long time ago (long before SHE9850 was released). As far as I can remember, I do recall X10 is a far better sounding IEM than what SHE9850 is capable of.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #63 of 72
Thanks. In my short time with the X10 I enjoyed the sound but I wasn't wowed which is what I was expecting for an IEM that once retailed for $350. I'll give it a good test drive once I get them back.

Quote:
I listened to X10 a long time ago (long before SHE9850 was released). As far as I can remember, I do recall X10 is a far better sounding IEM than what SHE9850 is capable of.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #64 of 72
Thanks. In my short time with the X10 I enjoyed the sound but I wasn't wowed which is what I was expecting for an IEM that once retailed for $350. I'll give it a good test drive once I get them back.

When X10 was released, the top three IEM in the market were Westone UM2, Shure SE530, and UE TF10, plus runner-up like RE0 and SA6 - It might not seem particularly wow'ish now, but back then X10 is one of the best around. Much like the F15 Eagle, you are not feeling the wow because you already saw what a F22 Raptor can do. But that doesn't mean F15 is irrelevant. It can still beat the majority of others airplane in the sky.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #65 of 72
Hi,ClieOS!Sorry to bother you but I think you 'd be of help to me.Here is the problem.
I managed to find Philips SHE 9850/00 in our local store but as I can see the carrying case(which you describe as alluminium) wasn't fully alluminium.To be precise the lid is from painted alluminium that's OK but the the part that slide from it isn't.To touch and when you tap it with some metal thing it sounds rather dull not the click that produce metal things:wink:So my question is it fully alluminium or I've just stumbled upon some fake?I even managed to dimension the package and compare the results with the ones on philips site.Just the same.The back of package is a bit different but as I read that might be the issue results accordig to the market...The sound is...what could I say ...not in the same league as Sennheizer HD 580(but that are different kinds of earphones).I have to say that are my first IEM so I'm not accostomed to them sound.Just looking for ones to jog...Forget to mention that the price is something around 70 USD...

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #66 of 72
I used to own the 9850. This is not a case of fakes; I doubt anyone would be motivated enough to produce fakes of Philips' products.

The outer shell of the case is metal, the interior tray is plastic. Don't worry too much, though, the case is very sturdy, but at times can get a little noisy from the rubbing.

For jogging, there are probably better options these days at around the same price. I found that the 9850 don't stay in your ears well unless you go with a super deep fit, and that the cables are a bit microphonic when worn downward. You should try something that can be better worn over the ear, e.g. MEElec A151, for instance.

Quote:
Hi,ClieOS!Sorry to bother you but I think you 'd be of help to me.Here is the problem.
I managed to find Philips SHE 9850/00 in our local store but as I can see the carrying case(which you describe as alluminium) wasn't fully alluminium.To be precise the lid is from painted alluminium that's OK but the the part that slide from it isn't.To touch and when you tap it with some metal thing it sounds rather dull not the click that produce metal things:wink:So my question is it fully alluminium or I've just stumbled upon some fake?I even managed to dimension the package and compare the results with the ones on philips site.Just the same.The back of package is a bit different but as I read that might be the issue results accordig to the market...The sound is...what could I say ...not in the same league as Sennheizer HD 580(but that are different kinds of earphones).I have to say that are my first IEM so I'm not accostomed to them sound.Just looking for ones to jog...Forget to mention that the price is something around 70 USD...

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #67 of 72

Quote:
The sound is...what could I say ...not in the same league as Sennheizer HD 580(but that are different kinds of earphones).I have to say that are my first IEM so I'm not accostomed to them sound.Just looking for ones to jog...Forget to mention that the price is something around 70 USD...

tomscy2000 already answered the other parts so I am not going to repeat them. As he has said, it is not fake.

As for HD580 comparison, I really doubt most IEM can compare head-to-head with full-size as they are like apple to orange. Since you are a first time user for IEM, it will probably take you some time before you become accustomed to the feeling of IEM.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #68 of 72
Hi,tomscry 2000!
Thanks a lot .Your answer come handy.And your suggestion about MEElecA151 too.But the only drawback is I'm currently in some small European country... Just temporary.The only availible item is Philips SHE 9850;(.No choice at all...As I can see a lot of fakes around .All of them cheap made from China not OEM i'm afraid .As to microphonic effects from its cable I will try the clips ,maybe position IEM in my ears the way when the cable is twisted round  behind my ears...A full field of experiments:wink:
Anyway thank you very much.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #69 of 72

Hi,ClieOS!
Thanks for answer too.
You suggested
 As for HD580 comparison, I really doubt most IEM can compare head-to-head with full-size as they are like apple to orange. Since you are a first time user for IEM, it will probably take you some time before you become accustomed to the feeling of IEM.

I agree they are from different leagues entirely!But I said that early in my first comment.I use them to home listening ,no way you could power them from Cowon or Shuffle from Apple and have good sound.As you said apple and orange are different fruits!
As to your suggestion for me to get used to them,that'll be no problem at all.The time I will be wearing them is something round an hour per day so I think that wouldn't be a case.
Anyway thanks a lot to everybody for answering my question.All of your comments were valuable!

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #70 of 72

Quote:
Just temporary.The only available item is Philips SHE 9850;(.No choice at all...As I can see a lot of fakes around .All of them cheap made from China not OEM i'm afraid .As to microphonic effects from its cable I will try the clips ,maybe position IEM in my ears the way when the cable is twisted round  behind my ears...A full field of experiments:wink:

No microphonics if you wear these over the ears, and the fit will much deeper this way and bring you some bass, which this model otherwise lacks.

I still have these Philips from 3 years ago when I was also in a small European country where no other proper IEM was available offline...
They're decent, with a rather flat sound, and provide good isolation with silicone tips.
Don't even try the provided foams, they just slaughter the bass and isolation!

At the current price, they're OK, but they were more expensive 3 years.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #71 of 72
I wanted to purchase a pair of these from someone on the street today to replace my BrainWavz ProAlpha not that there's anything wrong with them but I wanted to move up in the league a bit and the price seemed decent, around 45$ used but in perfect condition.
I met up with a guy on a fairly busy street and decided to get in a quieter space to test'em out. Knowing they are a pretty sensitive IEM I took my bare iPhone 4 to the test along with my ProAlphas for comparing. First impression when got them in my ears was : WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ?? I was very disappointed. I expected them to simply blow my Proalphas out of the water. Not the case. There is simply NO DETAIL on these, the highs are barely there. I thought I didn't plug them correctly or something but that's just the way they sound. When comparing them to my ProAlphas - the difference is HUGE on the detail, crispness and soundstage in the favor of the ProAlphas. Granted the Brainwavs could use a bit more BASS and the Philips has A LOT of it .. but that's pretty much it. I can always tune the EQ a bit to add a bit of punch in the low department on the ProAlphas but the details missing from the Philips can't be brought no-matter what you do so I didn't get them.

Overall - very disappointed in these. I expected a lot more considering the RPM price tag. After I met up with this guy I met with someone else and I tested some Denon C351 - just for the sake of it. The price on these is a lot lower compared to the acclaimed Philips but the sound is similar if not better. This made me appreciate my ProAlphas a lot more now. I will keep looking I suppose :)

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #72 of 72
Let me resurrect this to ask if anoynone knows how does the current Shure line up compare to SHE9850 in terms of the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back