[REVIEW] Philips SHE9850
Jun 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #46 of 72
Hey,
I just got thease. And I don't get something.
When I plug them into my Sony mp3, they sound good, but there are very lean on high FQ.
[bla bla bla]
Cymbals sound very silent compared to Alessandro MS1. I expected this (as MS1 are considered bright), but not to this level. As I've listened to them for longer time and became used to this, they sound quite nice. Bass is probably the best thing in them - it's quite easy to hear the bass guitar line, it's smooth, maybe doesn't reach the lowest lows and but also they don't have too big midbass hump. The mids are also smooth, but as I come from MS1, I don't find them superb. I've never heard HP considered to have great soundstage, so I can't say much about it, but I find it nicer than Alessandros. The sounds rarelly come from more than few inches outside of the head :wink: but things are happening between ears.
[/bla bla bla]
Ok, now the thing that confused me
When I pluged them into Luxman L230 (amp from 80', as I know) the background noise (already present with my MP3, went up quite much. I played something and... what? they're different. Very. The highs are now the main thing I hear - they're not bad, but the vocals lost the presence and the bass went weak.
I've never heard such change when I swiched MS1 between mp3 and amp. Can someone explain to me what happend? I susspect it has sth to do with the very low impedence of them, but I don't know what.
Now that I plugged them back into sony, I miss the highs, eq'ing helps just a bit.
Excuse my imperfect English; I hope you understood my question.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #47 of 72
Nice review. I actually read this before I bought them about a month ago. Thanks for that.

I absolutely love these headphones! The isolation is awesome and they are very comfy. I can't stand the cord though.

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:
Cymbals sound very silent compared to Alessandro MS1. I expected this (as MS1 are considered bright), but not to this level. As I've listened to them for longer time and became used to this, they sound quite nice. Bass is probably the best thing in them - it's quite easy to hear the bass guitar line, it's smooth, maybe doesn't reach the lowest lows and but also they don't have too big midbass hump. The mids are also smooth, but as I come from MS1, I don't find them superb. I've never heard HP considered to have great soundstage, so I can't say much about it, but I find it nicer than Alessandros. The sounds rarelly come from more than few inches outside of the head :wink: but things are happening between ears.

As a MS1 owner myself, I think what you described is pretty normal to me. What I mean is, if you get really used to Grado'ish sound and think of that as norm, then almost everything else will sound dark to you.

Quote:
Ok, now the thing that confused me
When I pluged them into Luxman L230 (amp from 80', as I know) the background noise (already present with my MP3, went up quite much. I played something and... what? they're different. Very. The highs are now the main thing I hear - they're not bad, but the vocals lost the presence and the bass went weak.
I've never heard such change when I swiched MS1 between mp3 and amp. Can someone explain to me what happend? I susspect it has sth to do with the very low impedence of them, but I don't know what.
Now that I plugged them back into sony, I miss the highs, eq'ing helps just a bit.
Excuse my imperfect English; I hope you understood my question.

Beside impedance, balanced armature IEM (as SHE9850 is) usuaully is very sensitive to background noise and tend to bring it upfront. This is the kind of 'artificial' sound that is the reason of why some people prefer dynamic IEM over balanced armature. It also could be the amp, but it is hard to tell from my end.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #49 of 72
Got them last week as my first BA IEM, convinced by ClieOS's review (thanks!).

The included foam tips seem to work best for me. How are these different sound-wise from comply T100 and shure olive? (and from silicones the medium ones are also acceptable)

I must say I am impressed by the speed. But then again, it is my first BA. Bass is pretty good too, on my setup definitely better than k324p. On k324 it is also quite controlled and reasonably extended, but it sounds like a tiny man kicking a tiny exercise ball. On she9850 it is not only better controlled, but also reaches lower, and has some 'meat.'

I guess next time I ask for upgrade advice here I'll ask for IEM for James Brown & Sly Stone :D

I wouldn't call cymbals silent, but I am usually annoyed with what I perceive as overtly loud cymbals, and with she9850 that is definitely not the case. So definitely a plus for me.

First I thought they are overtly warm and keeping the same coloration across records (golden/glassy if that makes any sense). Then I noticed that it was an effect of the upsampling (SSRC in f2k, SRC in cplay) and with SOX they are actually way more balanced. Though the differences between upsamplers are easily audible also on KPP or k324p, they are way greater with she9850. Is this an effect of the low impedance, or BA, or both?

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #50 of 72

Other photos :)

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #52 of 72
I'm looking for a bit pricer IEMs (here), but I can't find good offer on any used :/
My SHE9850 show first signs of aging (right driver cracks from time to time when moved). Do you guys know any other (maybe cheaper for now) HPs that sound similar to them?
Help appreacieated
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #53 of 72
For some real bang for the bucks on the similar level of SQ as SHE9850, try VSONIC R02 Pro II - less bright, bigger bass, better soundstage and has really good cable. It should be around $25 on eBay with free shipping.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #55 of 72
VSONIC R02 Pro II looks goods from review, so maybe I'll try it. I just really don't dig their visual design. (and from what I understood the shipping's not free).
From your review, Mark, it looks like I could be dissapointed by the amount of bass in PL50. Do you have chance to comapre quanity in PL50 and SHE9850?
pzdr

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #56 of 72
Ah, the one with the free shipping is over, but there is another listing that around $30, shipping included.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #57 of 72
so i went ahead and picked these up tonight; am i right to say that they seem to be source dependent?

i used them on my touch 2G and they sounded pretty bad; undetailed bass, veiled mids, and unextended, soft highs.

i plugged them into my laptop and instantly everything livened up; the bass cleared up, the mids were brought forward, and the highs spoke more. i am not running an external dac or amp, just off the virtue of my notebook's motherboard (albeit through as bit-perfect a path as possible). i realize that my laptop is a bit more high powered than an ipod, but i never felt such a massive difference in SQ, even with big cans like a DT990.

these are my first BA headphones; is it because of that, plus the very low impedance of these things? i thought BA and/or low impedance meant less need for amping?

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #58 of 72
Actually it goes both way. Higher impedance means it needs more voltage but less current, lower impedance means it needs more current and less voltage (i.e. speakers are often 4 or 8 ohm, and required a power amp to drive). .An decent external amp should be able to provide both, so is a good source. 12 ohm is actually quite a low number, but I never felt the need of extra amping. Though I also never used a Touch 2G before.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #59 of 72
Hey ClieOS,
I have a question for you (and for anyone that owns both SHE9850 and Phonak Audeo). Could you please tell me how do they differ?
I have SHE9850 and I like their FR type (maybe it also has something to do with dynamics that make them a little laid back) and I have M50 and love their detail, separation and extension on both ends.
Do you think Audeo somehow combines thease things?

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #60 of 72
SHE9850 has more or less a Shure type of sound - something Phonak isn't particularly known for. However, PFE with Black filter might sound close to what you are looking for. It won't be quite as dynamic as SHE9850, but more resolving on the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back