Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Sep 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #301 of 396
The sound great after the re-cable, decided to go with a pallics mini instead of Rean. They seem to be a but louder with the new cable also, definitely more bassy and not unbalanced any more :)

Cant post a pic yet but as soon as I can Ill upload one of them with the new cable. It wasnt very easy and some modification was necessary, all in all it was worth it!

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #302 of 396
The sound great after the re-cable, decided to go with a pallics mini instead of Rean. They seem to be a but louder with the new cable also, definitely more bassy and not unbalanced any more
smily_headphones1.gif

Cant post a pic yet but as soon as I can Ill upload one of them with the new cable. It wasnt very easy and some modification was necessary, all in all it was worth it!

Man, i want to re-cable these soo bad. I really like the look/comfort/sound but the cable is killing me. I can't solder :frowning2: Please post a pic! Very excited to see it.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #304 of 396
Dude you could do it, just make sure you get some flux it makes any job a million times easier...Sadly enough I did it with a $5 iron from walmart...the connector gave me some trouble the the drivers were no problem at all....if you really want you can send them to me and Ill do the work for free, just gotta pay for supplies

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #306 of 396
3 conductor works... however I prefer 4 conductor, or 2x 2conductors....makes a cleaner braid look and your not jumping the ground from one can to the next possibly causing some extra impedance

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #307 of 396
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #308 of 396
Ok I can finally upload pics, so here is my first cable I made which is a recable for some Phillips Uptowns...I used Mogami W2447 cable I got from Redco, I stripped the outer sheath and rebraided the wires with a litz 4wire braid. Used a Pailiccs connector, nice connector but pain in the ***** to solder.
got the cable from here: http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2447.html

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #309 of 396
  Ok I can finally upload pics, so here is my first cable I made which is a recable for some Phillips Uptowns...I used Mogami W2447 cable I got from Redco, I stripped the outer sheath and rebraided the wires with a litz 4wire braid. Used a Pailiccs connector, nice connector but pain in the ***** to solder.
got the cable from here: http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2447.html

Good job--the channel imbalance on my pair is driving me nuts, so time to recable.  How did you access the cable exit on the earcup?  Thanks.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #310 of 396
PAIN IN THE ASS!!! lol so I used my soldering iron to melt some of the plastic to get it to fit...you have to break one piece but its nothing important....you unscrew the 4 screw inside the earcup and very carefully! separate the earcup from the housing. then remove a clear plastic disc over the center piece, then their is a black circular thing that looks like it holds the pivot in place but it doesnt you have to break the tabs for that. once thats removed you can separate the earcup from the circle that says philips. Then in that housing their are 4 screws that hold it together once those 4 screws are removed you will see a slot where the old cable was squeezed by the two halves, i had to modify all that plastic to make my larger cable fit, i did it with the soldering iron and an exacto knife. I have one channel going through the original placement for the wire inbetween that disc i just modified and the other i had to melt a hole in the plastic part of the cup. Pulling the wires through the headband is hard as hell so take your time, I used the old wire to pull them through otherwise its almost impossible. on the right earcup you do the same as the left with melting a hole in the plastic to get the wire in. I will be taking mine apart again to add some heatshrink bc I was baked when I did this and forgot to put it on lol...when I do I will take some pics for you

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #311 of 396
Cool--thanks for the explanation.  Some of this is hard to picture, but if you post some photos that would be great. At this point, I'm just going to jump in a try it, since my volume switch has gone bad.  I'll probably just leave the cable run from one side in place, as long a I can replace the run with the switch, I'll be happy. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #312 of 396
I definitely don't want to interrupt the recabling discussion going on here (I'm planning to recable too, so I can use all the discussion/hints/tips/pics I can get!), but I've had a somewhat harrowing 2 1/2 weeks during which these headphones probably quite *literally* preserved my sanity, so I kind of feel like I owe these little babies a review. It's long, but hopefully interesting.

I was originally looking for some flatter, more heavy duty cans (still considering the Shure SRH-440/840s for that purpose), but I didn't have the money together, and my seven year old IEMs were dying a not-so-slow death, so finding a cheaper, more casual pair of phones to fill the gap became a priority. I found the uptowns for $50 and pulled the trigger - they seemed like a purchase I could live with, and their lightness was a plus, since I have rheumatoid arthritis in my neck... I figured if I got the uptowns and liked them, then on the days when the Shures (or whatever I end up going with) are just too heavy for my joints to deal with, I'd have an acceptable substitute. That was really all I was looking for out of these.... is the sound halfway decent and can I wear them for long periods?

Two days after the uptowns were in the mail, I was lying in the ICU with severe bilateral pneumonia and pleurisy. My lungs have a disturbing tendency to bail on me with no warning, so this was not the first time something like this had happened... but it was definitely both the most sudden, and the most severe. Between the constant, arduous work of breathing and the twilight zone nature of the ICU (lights always on, monitors always going, staff always in and out, etc), I had very little grasp of reality or where I was, beyond "not at home" and "possibly already dead." I ended up on a ventilator, which gave me a much needed physical break, but didn't do much for my sense of awareness or ability to orient myself - and without being able to do that, it was very difficult to keep my vital signs stable.

The next day, a friend of mine from out of state drove to my house for the express purpose of picking up the uptowns from my mailbox and bringing them to the hospital for me. (Yes, I have great friends.) We slid them on over all the tubing, tape, leads, mask, etc... and my buddy plugged them into my laptop and pulled up some music.

Immediately, I could no longer hear all the monitors/air flow/general racket around me. Then the music started, and it sounded like I was in one of my favorite places in the world - about 3 feet away from a dear friend of mine, soaking in an intimate solo gig, just him and a mic and a guitar. I only get to experience those gigs every few years, since said artist splits his time between the US and Ireland, so to have that sensation from headphones - any headphones - blew my mind. Then I saw my buddy laughing and pointing at the monitors... where, of course, all my vital signs had gone steady as a rock. Who needs drugs and ventilation, just give me some good music!

I have not taken these headphones off for more than a few minutes at a time in two and a half weeks. I've slept in them every night, quite comfortably (they are no worse for wear. I probably won't continue to sleep in them once I've recovered the ability to do things like roll over in bed... but right now, that's not a concern.) I've played an incredible variety of music through them, and I have yet to find anything that sounds bad - everything from Chopin to U2 to spoken word stuff is just really *nice*. It's not flat... it's not accurate.... it's just *nice*... effortless to listen to, clear, and balanced enough to be revealing but with enough of a signature to them to still qualify as "fun." The soundstage in these is truly impressive for a closed headphone, too. (It is worth noting that I have a small head - if I fiddle with the way the cups sit over my ears, I can make the soundstage dramatically worse... but the way they *naturally* sit on my head, it happens to be almost preternaturally open sounding and separated, while still maintaining the isolation. So I do think I just got lucky with the fit, but I love it anyway.)

Needless to say, in that 2 1/2 weeks, these things have been in the wars already, through no fault of my own. A few times, they've been dropped on the floor from a height of about 4 feet (thanks to nurses not paying attention when they're flinging things off the bed), and survived with no ill effects. They've gotten wet from nebulizer solution, saline solution, heparin flushes, and the occasional mishap with a suction catheter - they've wiped off every time. I've dripped an ungodly amount of sweat on these poor things - you can't tell. I don't like the volume slider and there is some slight channel imbalance, but the flat cable *works* in terms of not tangling... I've woken up to find it wound around my oxygen cannula, my Bipap mask, my picc line and my telemetry leads simultaneously (don't ask how that happens, I don't know), and all I have to do is unplug the jack and give the uptown cable a tug, and it just slithers free, even while all my other lines tie in a knot.

My pulmonologist remarked the other day that he thinks these headphones are why I managed to weather such a long ICU stay without ending up with some ICU psychosis (a real thing that happens when you can't orient yourself to time of day/location/what's going on around you etc because of how surreal the ICU itself is. It's a temporary state, but it can take days to weeks *after* you're out of the ICU to get to the point where you can speak in coherent sentences and remember where you are, if you're unlucky enough to have ICU psychosis set in during your stay... the brain takes a while to reboot to normal). And, I repeat, my *doctor* thinks that these headphones are why I haven't had to deal with that. Which is pretty cool.

They're not the best headphones money can buy, and I'm sure they won't be the best headphones I'll ever own... but for an incredibly comfortable little $50 workhorse to send good music into my brain with which my body can regulate my breathing... they've been an absolute gem.

And I never would have known they existed without Head-Fi, so thanks to everyone who posted about them on this thread and elsewhere... it was researching here that led me to the Uptowns as an option in the first place.

And now, back to the recabling discussion.... has anyone been able to squeeze a female jack into the cups so as to do a detachable cable mod, or are the cups too shallow to do something like that on these without potential disaster? I prefer my headphones to have detachable cables because I'm a wheelchair user, so being able to disconnect the cable from the headphones entirely when I might otherwise run it over is the most practical thing for me - but if no one's tried that yet with these, I'd really rather not be the first. I'll live with a regular cable mod if I have to, out of profound respect for what these have done for me.

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #313 of 396
Well, I've just bought the pair of uptowns, and I'm going to have those in two days... But, the best thing is that there is a new version, all black, without the faulty volume control, only with mic control. So, no imbalance issues for me... Oh boy, I'm gonna enjoy them so much :wink: 

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #315 of 396
It would be very cool if there was an "easy" way to cut the flat cable right before and after the volume control and re-attach the flat cable. Basically removing the volume control and retain the flat cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back