Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #95 of 396
$39.99 was a killer price

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #97 of 396
[size=10pt]It's official. Philips support is possibly the most horrendous thing I have ever experienced. Made me wait 40 minutes on hold... then I finally got a representative. And guess what, they can't find their own headphones in their "system" even after I provided the exact model number three times. [/size]

[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]After another 10 minutes of "being unable to identify my headphones," the representative puts me on hold again to go grab a pair and see for herself whether the earpads come off or not...[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]Pretty much, almost an hour just to answer a simple question- I was doing schoolwork while waiting all that time so it wasn't a total waste.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]Anyway. The official answer to the removable earpad question is: SHL5905BK are NOT supposed to have removable earpads. [/size]
[size=10pt]Unfortunately, the representative is so utterly incompetent that she doesn't know whether there are manufacturing differences or minor revisions made to the headphones. She also kept insisting that it may have been another headphone model, (she kept bringing up the "O'Neill The Stretch") although I told her I can tell the difference between the Uptown's and the Stretch, they look completely different from one another...[/size]

[size=10pt]Can you guys with removable earpads please share your exact model number on your headphones? Because if yours is SHL5905BK and has removable earpads, yours is a counterfeit according to Philips. [/size]

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #98 of 396
Quote:
[size=10pt]Can you guys with removable earpads please share your exact model number on your headphones? Because if yours is SHL5905BK and has removable earpads, yours is a counterfeit according to Philips. [/size]

I think I'm the only one who has removable pads here. Did the Philips person say specifically that if it didn't have non-removable pads it was a fake? It sounds kind of like they had no idea what they were talking about, haha. You said they didn't know if there were revisions or not, so how could they know whether or not removable pads necessarily means fake?

Not that it's outright impossible, but do you really think I bought fakes from Best Buy, and just two months after they were released? I mean anything's possible, but if those were fakes then those were some really good sounding fakes. These hypothetical counterfeiters should go into the headphone business, haha.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #99 of 396
Quote:
It sounds kind of like they had no idea what they were talking about, haha.

Pretty much, yeah. Seriously doubt yours is fake. But we'll never know, will we?
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #100 of 396
Thanks Viralcow for go through their terrible support for us! You know what? After using these headphones for a week and doing quite a bit of googling, I think the pads were originally supposed to be removeable (as shown on CES), however, probably due to some error or something (maybe a problematic revision), they made a whole bunch non-removeable pad headphones. Because of that, they lowered the price until they all sold out, and so is my guess.

That still doesn't make any sense why they would lower the price sooo much... just because of the pads? haha probably not. It's a conspiracy!!!!! Oh well, I don't care whatsoever if the pads are removeable or not. Someone's probably gonna make a DIY for it sooner than later anyway for people who want it. I absolutely love these headphones! Although to be fair, I've never owned a headphone of this caliber, ever. Thanks guys!

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #101 of 396
Updated my review with a small addendum regarding achieving a seal with these headphones and the possible effects it has on the sound. Basically, add an additional grain of salt to my original review as there's a possibility this causes me to hear these differently than some others might. See OP for details.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #102 of 396
So I received the Uptowns I purchased from J&R for $40 on Tuesday. For some reason, the "music seal" doesn't seem to be working and there is still sound leaking out of it. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have already tried pushing the headband together to tighten the fit.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #103 of 396
Quote:
So I received the Uptowns I purchased from J&R for $40 on Tuesday. For some reason, the "music seal" doesn't seem to be working and there is still sound leaking out of it. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have already tried pushing the headband together to tighten the fit.

Hm. How loud are you listening? What size head do you have? Do they seem to fit well? Put them on and feel around the edges of the pads where they touch your head and see if you feel any gaps or holes.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #104 of 396
Guys, do you find Uptown difficult to drive from labtop and cellphone? To me it sounds underpowered somehow.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #105 of 396
Quote:
Guys, do you find Uptown difficult to drive from labtop and cellphone? To me it sounds underpowered somehow.

I was able to get plenty volume out of my own laptop and portable player, but it depends on the specific laptop or cellphone. 

Roughly, I think they should need something like at least 5mW/0.4V to hit peaks of 110dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back