Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Sep 2, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #76 of 396
I'm deathly worried we got fakes. Unless they just make two versions of it.

EDIT: Image directly from the Philips website

So, official videos, cover, official images, no cover... Assuming they are both official.. Why?

EDIT: I tried contacting. They have horribly terrible service..

Welcome to Philips Chat, you're chatting with Sarah. How may I help you?

Sarah: Hello Zachary!

Zachary: Hello. I seem have found a bit of trouble regarding the Philips Uptowns. On a forum, one was discussing modding the headphones and was not able to remove the foam cushions on them.

Zachary: Each user uploaded imaged depicting the headphones with a slightly different desighn

Zachary: And I am wondering if there is a legitimacy issue with one of the sets

Sarah: I'm sorry for the inconvenience that caused to you. I'll be glad to assist you with this.

Sarah: May I have the model number and purchase date of your Headphones?
The location of the model number depends on the design. So, you will find it either on the stopper, the inner or outer side of the headband, or on the earpiece.

Zachary: -Product Number-

Sarah: May I know the date of purchase of your headphones?

Zachary: At least two months ago. I am not sure of the exact date.

Zachary: Around the end of june

Sarah: Thank you.

Sarah: Are you facing any issues with your headphones?

Zachary: Not at all. I am just wondering if I have the legitimate headphones due to users uploading different variations.

Zachary: For example

Zachary: http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fd/fd19e1f9_UptownSidecopy.jpeg

Zachary: This does not match the stock photos

Sarah: In this case, Im sorry we will not be able to replace the unit.

Zachary: I am not asking if you are able to replace it, only if you can tell me if my versions of the headphones are legitimate.

Zachary: People have uploaded photos of one variation, where the foam pads are connected to leather covering the cups of the headphones, whereas others have the pads attached to the cups and have a ring around them saying "musicseal"

Zachary: Are they both legitimate or is one a fake?

(Waiting a minute)

Zachary: Hello?

Sarah: Please allow me a minute.

Sarah: You may contact our Product Support Team at 1-888-744-5477 and they will be able to help you with detailed product information

Sarah: They are available from Monday - Saturday 9:00 am - 9:00 pm EST
Sunday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm EST
Excluding major holidays

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #77 of 396
Huh...weird. I'm pretty sure mine aren't fakes as I bought them from Best Buy. It would also seem weird for there to be fakes of these that soon, especially since they don't seem to be particularly popular or anything. Ok.

Here's an early photo probably from CES I think:

You can see these have the thin lip which says "music seal" on them. Also the surface material of the pads looks really different from both the pair I had and the stock photo.

Then here's mine:

Wider lip with no "music seal." Surface material of pads looks like the stock photo.

Then, with the stock photo (though it's actually a rendering and not a real photo so perhaps apply a grain of salt), we have the similar surface material, but also the thin lip with "music seal," and this is what you guys have on yours?

Since it looks like we can spot at least three different versions of the pads all from legitimate sources, maybe Philips did some revisions and there are some batches with different pads? So your guys' are not removable? Also, where did you buy them from?

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #79 of 396
Quote:
I got mine off of the ebayer I listed on post 72.
You would think they'd speak of these revisions to avoid confusion.

Hm. Higher probably of fakes on eBay I'm afraid :frowning2: That is of course if any fakes actually exist.

Actually, if you have read Head-fi long enough, you find similar occurrences happening with all sorts of headphones from other manufacturers as well. A couple examples I think are the 2012 revised Denon Dxxx, or the old black driver Senn HD650 and the newer revision silver driver ones. The Beyer DT1350 and T1 apparently have unpredictable sound from pair to pair. The FA-003/HM5/Yoga rebrands also have lots of different versions of pads floating around, and I know there was definitely never any kind of announcement or acknowledgement of that. Only us Head-fiers noticed.

As you can see from your conversation with Philips, they're not really looking out for you all that much. If they made a revision or a slightly altered second batch, it's not the least bit surprising for them to do this without telling anybody.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #80 of 396
this is wat mine looks like....

the skin seem tighter, and the foam well formed... :p
dun think mine is removable..i saw some tiny screws from inside the cups, not sure if thats how u can detach the pads...
maybe there are made in diff factories...lol

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #81 of 396
Quote:
Only when u change the volume, its quite annoying and useless actually. That is why I leave it max, and change the volume on my ipod instead :).

Just be a little careful with this, as when I leave my volume on maximum, sometimes one ear is louder than the other, and I only get the same sound volume in both ears if I press upwards. Even using blutac to keep it up doesn't exert enough pressure (might just be a problem with mine though). At minimum volume, they sound very quiet, so you have to use near maximum volume for most devices. If you listen to music at lower volumes this is fine, as I prefer to have a slight awareness of what's going around me anyways.

But I think these headphones sound great, especially for JPop that uses lots of piano, strings, acoustic and/or higher pitched synth. (sounds great with Rie Fu, FictionJunction, Flumpool, etc.)

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #83 of 396
Quote:
this is wat mine looks like....

the skin seem tighter, and the foam well formed... :p
dun think mine is removable..i saw some tiny screws from inside the cups, not sure if thats how u can detach the pads...
maybe there are made in diff factories...lol

Huh. Your pads look the same as mine except for the edges. Yours actually looks cleaner/tighter, more like a final or official version I guess, but it sucks that they took away the ability to remove them.

Quote:
Just be a little careful with this, as when I leave my volume on maximum, sometimes one ear is louder than the other, and I only get the same sound volume in both ears if I press upwards. Even using blutac to keep it up doesn't exert enough pressure (might just be a problem with mine though). At minimum volume, they sound very quiet, so you have to use near maximum volume for most devices. If you listen to music at lower volumes this is fine, as I prefer to have a slight awareness of what's going around me anyways.

I think the ideal position for the slider varies from pair to pair. On mine it was best to leave it at the top without any pressure. When pressed upwards it would start misbehaving. A few others have also reported that theirs worked better when pressed upward though.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #84 of 396
Most of that conversation you had Lux was with a bot, not a live CS person (or at least pre-programmed answers to the rep can handle multiple people at once without freshly typing every response).  Sometimes a chat person will get off script and try to actually help you, but not often.

On the pads, it's quite clear that early versions had the removable pads and later versions didn't.  Odds of this headphone being a fake are pretty slim.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #85 of 396
I literally just signed up because I was worried I might have gotten fakes... even though the chances are slim. I've been meaning to get a good headphone (anything better than the apple ones!) since I listen to music avidly and enjoy it quite a bit. I didn't exactly want to spend over $200 on a headphone, so I started looking for one less than that. Before I bought these, I had the kicker headphones (they broke 
confused_face.gif
) which were good-ish. Anyway, after a week of looking for a headphone between $100-200, I found these. Quite a bit of good reviews about them, the only con seemed to be the volume slider being annoying, which I can live with, I'm not too picky 
bigsmile_face.gif

I got these for $65 on amazon when they were on sale, the seller was amazon, not another reseller. After watching a review, I saw that the ear cups were removeable, however when I got mine, they were a little different. Mine are exactly like Lorespeaker's pictures, however this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E9b1K78sIWs#t=44s) worried me. It shows the removeable pads, so I wanted to if both version are legitimate or not. What do you guys think?

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #86 of 396
if  u gotten it for 65...and it sounded good to u..just enjoy it. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #88 of 396
I am also interested in this, since I got the headphonse at the same sale. You know what, I'm going to give Philips a call tomorrow and ask them about it and post my findings here.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #89 of 396
$65!? Holy hell that is a steal for these headphones! 
eek.gif

It seems more likely to me that there is simply variance coming from Philips rather than everyone everywhere suddenly having fakes. Remember, I'm the only odd one out here, so I don't know why everyone else is freaking out. Everyone's pads apparently look the same. They all look like the official rendering from Philips except for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back