Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
Sep 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #106 of 396
Quote:

I was able to get plenty volume out of my own laptop and portable player, but it depends on the specific laptop or cellphone. 

Roughly, I think they should need something like at least 5mW/0.4V to hit peaks of 110dB.

I have to agree with that... when plugged into my Galaxy Nexus using power amp, I had to pump it up to max volume for it to sound decent.

Quote:

Hm. How loud are you listening? What size head do you have? Do they seem to fit well? Put them on and feel around the edges of the pads where they touch your head and see if you feel any gaps or holes.

I'm not listening too loudly I guess, just at a moderate level. You could say that my head is rather narrow, I had to push together the headband of both my HD 600s and the uptowns for them to feel secure on my head. I recorded myself listening to the uptowns and it is extremely obvious that they were leaking.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #107 of 396
Quote:

I was able to get plenty volume out of my own laptop and portable player, but it depends on the specific laptop or cellphone. 

Roughly, I think they should need something like at least 5mW/0.4V to hit peaks of 110dB.

Quote:
I have to agree with that... when plugged into my Galaxy Nexus using power amp, I had to pump it up to max volume for it to sound decent.

I'm not listening too loudly I guess, just at a moderate level. You could say that my head is rather narrow, I had to push together the headband of both my HD 600s and the uptowns for them to feel secure on my head. I recorded myself listening to the uptowns and it is extremely obvious that they were leaking.

Quote:
Guys, do you find Uptown difficult to drive from labtop and cellphone? To me it sounds underpowered somehow.

Oops... quoted the wrong post...

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #108 of 396
Quote:

Hm. Maybe they aren't fitting that well. Not clamping hard enough, or the cups are spaced too wide apart and have to come in at an angle to hit the side of your head and you're not getting a full seal? That could explain unusual amounts of leakage and also the feeling of having to turn the volume up louder. Just speculation on my part of course.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #111 of 396
after owning them for a month and a halve roughly, I have to admit I have been impressed with the over all quality in the daily basis I use them, I have used them with no exception on the bus rides to school and back home since the day I got them, and the built quality has been great but I have one gripe: yesterday all of the sudden the ratchet like feel you get when you adjust the cups all of a sudden stopped working on my left ear cup, they where fine but when I got them out at the end of the day the metal piece just simply slides to place rather than clicking, and it does not goes in all the way. now to me this happened almost "randomly" but it might have been fault of being in my bag all school day and maybe being kicked once or twice, so it really bothers me right now but they still fit perfectly so I know it will be a minor gripe in a week or so,but what bothered me the most is that there is no way to bet to the headband mechanism without breaking the headphones basically, so it's virtually impossible to fix.

btw, I have a friend who recently got the downtown, and I'm really exited to get a listen to those, if I like them more then I'll be probably giving the uptowns to my dad in exchange of some downtowns :p

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #112 of 396
What about the plastic panels on the inside of each band? They attach with four screws and look like they allow access to the ratchet mechanism. Have you tried removing that panel?

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #113 of 396
Quote:
What about the plastic panels on the inside of each band? They attach with four screws and look like they allow access to the ratchet mechanism. Have you tried removing that panel?

Hi Barry, I did remove the panel and under it there is another panel with only one screw visible, I removed that screw and it was yet impossible to remove, but after writing that post i decided to go the extra mile and start working again, after really stretching the pleather I found out there are 2 other screws to remove, but I removed them and guess what, nothing... So a little more stretching of the pleather to almost break a bit I finally found out there are 5 sort of "clips" that hold that plastic piece in place, so I just started playing with those and pushing them out with the screwdriver until I finally got the panel out and got to the mechanism, after taking a look at it it did not surprised me at all that it had failed, all that gives the click is a cheap metal part in the actual part that slides that ratchets against some plastic bumps on the panel, so what I did is to take the little metal piece and glue it into where it originally went and assembled everything back, and it turned out quite good, the pleather looks like it has never been touched and the "click" feels tighter, the only thing is that now I will be afraid of it falling of again

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #115 of 396
Quote:
Sorry to hear that Leveler. Hopefully it holds together well enough for you. I am going to add a link to this issue to the original review for future reference.

All good man, I'll wait a week or two and then report if everything has held.Btw has anyone seen the Senn. Momentum? they look strikingly similar to the Uptowns

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #119 of 396
It's amazing how ridiculously low the price went on these after I had them. Truly amazing amount of sound for the money IME. I know it's a total cliche, and I've even fallen for it in the past, but at full retail price I was more than satisfied with the sound, let alone for substantially less than $100. O_o (They happen to fall close enough to my personal preferences in the first place of course.) I'd take the sound of these over the SRH440 and HM5/etc. I'd include the MDR-V6 in that list too, but their sound stock is more of a joke to me than anything else.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #120 of 396
$60 + shipping. I'm debating if they're worth buying to mod the cable. I'm not really sure how much of an upgrade or sidegrade they'll be compared to my SR850s but I'm definitely willing to try if modding is feasible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back