review: Phiaton MS 400
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #107 of 113
Do you think you could compare these to the Audio Technica M-50? Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #108 of 113
They are very very different sounds, and very different fits... The M50 is V shaped and carries a lot of punch, and is full sized over ear. The MS400 is warm and soft sounding, and sits on the ear.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #109 of 113
I'll let someone else do the real comparing, as I don't currently own either, but for myself, I vastly preferred the MS400. The M50 has a very monitor-like sound with a tonally neutral midrange and elevated bass and treble; the midrange is moderately recessed, and sounded boring to my ears. The MS400 is close to its opposite, having a much more colored sound, with a warm, forward midrange and very lush vocals. Its treble is pleasantly delicate, but recessed compared to the mids and bass; the bass is pretty well extended, less thumpy and intrusive than the M50, but a little more loose and soft feeling.
Do you think you could compare these to the Audio Technica M-50? Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #111 of 113
The MS400 are a smaller fit. If you have a big head/ears, they might be a bit tighter on you. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #112 of 113
Quote:
The MS400 are a smaller fit. If you have a big head/ears, they might be a bit tighter on you

Thing is, that I've been considering to buy these as my next pair but the thing is right now I am using the AKG K450 which is an on ear cans and after a few hours of usage I feel that I have to take them off to let my ears cool off because these cans are just smoshing my ears towards my head and it really starts to hurt after a few hours.

So I'm not sure if I should go for another on ear or just go for a safe bet with an over ear.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #113 of 113
Practically all on-ear headphones will have that same sort of feel unless they are very soft and/or loose. I wear glasses so I have to take off any headphone, on-ear or over-ear alike maybe every half hour anyways. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back