Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #571 of 723
Quote:
Oh wow auditioned the little dot mk3 and little dot dac 1 last night and there is a noticeable improvement over the asus stx. Soundstage is bigger mids are more upfront and centre. Bass tends to have a little more kick to it. I will be honest I didn't believe that there would be such a noticeable improvement over the Stx but I was wrong. The whole external amp and dac versus soundcard I previously wrote on forums and the general consensus was I had to spend big to improve the Asus stx soundcard. It is however not the case the sound has more detail but now I'm left pondering if I spend a little more will I get even more improved sound. For the money I spent I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting out of the hd650. As I have just started my music journey I'm eager to experiment and try different equipment as well as enjoying the music experience on the way of course.

I am (or was) in the same boat...want to get external setup but need money now to get a DAC to upgrade over the one in the Essence.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #572 of 723
Quote:
Oh wow auditioned the little dot mk3 and little dot dac 1 last night and there is a noticeable improvement over the asus stx. Soundstage is bigger mids are more upfront and centre. Bass tends to have a little more kick to it. I will be honest I didn't believe that there would be such a noticeable improvement over the Stx but I was wrong. The whole external amp and dac versus soundcard I previously wrote on forums and the general consensus was I had to spend big to improve the Asus stx soundcard. It is however not the case the sound has more detail but now I'm left pondering if I spend a little more will I get even more improved sound. For the money I spent I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting out of the hd650. As I have just started my music journey I'm eager to experiment and try different equipment as well as enjoying the music experience on the way of course.

Well...STX costs 250 dollars,  MKIII + DAC1 combo cost 470 dollars. Thats almost twice as much, so it is quite a bit more expensive. Try using the STX as a DAC and MkIII as an amp.  By all measurements and in theory the STX used as a DAC should be superior to DAC1.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #573 of 723
Well...STX costs 250 dollars,  MKIII + DAC1 combo cost 470 dollars. Thats almost twice as much, so it is quite a bit more expensive. Try using the STX as a DAC and MkIII as an amp.  By all measurements and in theory the STX used as a DAC should be superior to DAC1.

I did try it but for some reason running RCA off the stx produces distortion. If I use Toslink distortion is gone but then it just uses the stx as a transport only so the ext dac needs to be used. But I still do use the stx for gaming but for music the little dots.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #574 of 723
Quote:
I did try it but for some reason running RCA off the stx produces distortion. If I use Toslink distortion is gone but then it just uses the stx as a transport only so the ext dac needs to be used. But I still do use the stx for gaming but for music the little dots.

Thats the famous Little dot ground loop problem.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #576 of 723
Finally went with a MK V,got a deal for 160$.
Been listening to my favorite albums for the past few hours,loving it so far! Not a stellar upgrade over my Essence amp but a goot step forward.
And expected that thing to be much smaller
jecklinsmile.gif

But anyway,thanks for the replies!
smile.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #577 of 723
Finally went with a MK V,got a deal for 160$.
Been listening to my favorite albums for the past few hours,loving it so far! Not a stellar upgrade over my Essence amp but a goot step forward.
And expected that thing to be much smaller :jecklinsmile:
But anyway,thanks for the replies! :smile:

I initially thought the same but after a little burn in time for the tubes on the little dot. The sound opens up and is more fresh and envolving :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #581 of 723
  Which of these do you think are the best or what are in general terms, the differences?

1. Mullard M8161/CV4015
2. Mullard M8100 / CV4010
3. Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV

Go to the tube rolling guide thread on page 1 theres reviews of most of those tubes 

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #585 of 723
Ok. I  will try a pair soon

I have to burn them in still its just that the high treble is very fatiguing and don't sound natural, people have given the mullards praise so ill keep trying them for a bit and see if the sound changes. So far they are the worst tubes I've had at the moment anyway. The voshkod however its a different story so far they are the best tubes nice mids, bass has nice impact and soundstage is wide and has wonderful depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back