Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 3, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #361 of 659
I received my amp and have about 100 break in hours on it. I'm using an average cd changer for my source and I have to say it sounds pretty good. I'm especially impressed with how it sounds as my preamp.

One thing I've noticed is the high frequencies are a little more forward than they were before. It's not a really bright sound because my speakers are laid back. But I'm worried because I've never heard my speakers that bright before. I'm not sure if this will improve with break in or if its just a characteristic of the stock tubes or of the amp. Anyone else experience this? Does it mellow out when fully broken in?

I plan on really putting this amp through its paces once fully broken in. The plan is to put it in my dad's stereo where theoretically it will be out-classed by the other components. I'm going to A/B the preamp function against his Audio Research SP9 mkII driving a Krell KST-100. Then I can see what it is really capable of. Also the source transport and dac will be way better so I can hear what it is capable of with headphones. I'll post the results in a few weeks.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #363 of 659
Stock tubes are really crap . I changed the stock EF95 with Mullard EF 95 BVA . The result is AMAZING . Now I need your help please , can I replace 6N6 with 6N6P with no problems ?

Please I need a urgent feedback.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #364 of 659
im waiting for these in the mail right now. my question is: if i was gonna spend money on upgraded tubes, wouldnt it have been better to get a better amp thats the price of the tubes + the amp? sorry if this has been addressed. i am new to tube amps as this will be my first.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #365 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by solo_400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stock tubes are really crap . I changed the stock EF95 with Mullard EF 95 BVA . The result is AMAZING . Now I need your help please , can I replace 6N6 with 6N6P with no problems ?

Please I need a urgent feedback.

Yes, I am using the 6n6p right now. DavidZheZhe also told me it was ok to use the 6n6p

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #366 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im waiting for these in the mail right now. my question is: if i was gonna spend money on upgraded tubes, wouldnt it have been better to get a better amp thats the price of the tubes + the amp? sorry if this has been addressed. i am new to tube amps as this will be my first.

If you have the money to buy a better amp with good stock tubes do it

l.d

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #367 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by solo_400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the money to buy a better amp with good stock tubes do it

l.d

If the main difference comes from the better tubes, then you would have to know if the price of the MkII + an assortment of tubes (i often match tubes to my taste du jour or the music i listen to, or speakers vs headphones) is really more than a "better amp" with tubes you end up buying for the MkII anyway, and you end up buying tubes for the "better amp" anyway, because you wonder if the "better amp" already sounds its best or if you can get it to sound better yet.

So if your wallet can support the "better amp" plus tubes (and i am speaking of about $2-$8/tube (with patience), not the ludicrous $40-$70/pair sellers) go for a better amp, if not, the MkII makes a good base to try and enjoy tubes with.

I ended up trying the I+ to the MkII, and found the I+ is "the better amp" for the low ohm headphones I am using and all the tubes i bought and enjoyed in the MkII, i can now enjoy even more in the I+, so look at what matches your headphones best, rather than which has the highest pricetag, higher price =! better.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #368 of 659
All this talk of amazing improvements makes me want to upgrade my stock tubes....

I've had a LD MKII for a couple of years now. I just love the thing. Lossless AAC's + HD650's + ALO Audio dock + LD MKII = my little slice of sonic heaven. I listen to the system for 3/4 hours every day while I work. But I'm still on the stock tubes. While I'm still happy with the sound, I'm (of course) curious about the improvements that come from upgrading the tubes. More importantly, I know that eventually one/more of the tubes will burn out and I'll be forced to upgrade.
wink.gif

So... where does one go to find good deals on good tubes that are compatible? I occasionally browse ebay looking for them. I sometimes find tubes that say they're compatible with the MKII, but they're usually those 'ludicrous' prices that you've mentioned, $50+/pair. Seems like a lot for vacuum tubes. A quick Google/Shopping search for "Mullard EF95 BVA" yields no shops that sell them. I see lots of praise for Mullard EF92's too. What's the difference between the 92 and 95? I certainly don't want to blow up my beloved MKII...

So, where do I go to order upgraded tubes? Anyone have a good internet seller? Anyone have any specific model recommendations to start with?

Has anyone ever put together any sort of document of what "aftermarket" tubes are plug-and-play compatible with the MKII, and with perhaps the (subjective) characteristics of what those "aftermarket" tubes do to the sound quality? I mean, there's a ton of great info in this thread, but I'm sort of lost as to where to start if I want to get into tube rolling.

Edit: Nevermind... found some really great tube-talk back on pages 18-23+ Good stuff. I think I now know what I need to look for.
smily_headphones1.gif
Though any advice is still welcome!

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #370 of 659
(408a, 408b, 5654*, 5591, CV4010, CV5216, CV8246, 6069, CV10442, EF95*, M8100, 6AK5*, CV10100, CV8159, CV8225, CV850, 6J1, EF92, CV4015, 6CQ6, CV2023, V884, VP6, M8161, CV131, 9D6, W77,Z77, 6h30*, 6zh1*, EF91, 6AM6, CV4014) -wireless

Put this search in and see if you find something affordable.

I enjoy my JTL-6AK5W Tung-Sols ($8/pc)
"The Russians" 6J1P-EV/6Zh1P-EV ($2.50/pc)
CV4014/EF91 "Mullards" ($4/pc)

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #371 of 659
Should I be worried about how warm my amp is getting? I had it running for a couple of hours today and it was almost hot to the touch. I would think the components inside are rated at high temps (105ºC?) but heat is usually the biggest killer of electronics.

Thanks.

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #372 of 659
I just discovered something about the little dot just now. Ive been wondering lately why my music has been sounding thin and slightly inorganic compared to the original LD mk2 sound I used to love before. I thought I was already getting tired of the sound until I discovered that it is the 6n6p power tube that gives the sound a dryness and sterility that is absent with the stock 6n6 power tube. So now I'm settled on the ef92s neutrality mixed with the stock 6n6 power tubes organic tubelike sound. Wow ambient effects are now making me turn my head to check if someone is knocking on the door. Its like the soul of the amp is back!

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #373 of 659
I use the Russian 6n6p and Mullard 850 and the amp sounds great. I havent swapped any other tubes except these. I was wondering how other 5654 tubes sound and if it would be a bvetter match for the Mk11. otherwise I love this amp and couldn't be happier.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #375 of 659
I'm super jealous. I want one too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back