Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #331 of 659
oh....i see, green caps added...
smile.gif

those toggle switch made it easier for you to roll your driver tubes since no need to open again the bottom cover
L3000.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little Dot mk ll ... caps changed by Master Ferds ... 3 pairs 8)

i think mine is version 1.0 bro Voltraizer
from this
sg1pi0.jpg

now here it is ..toggle switch at rear face plate for driver tubes rolling
33xhj5v.jpg

SQ output quite pleasing as i matched this baby on various Grados/Alessandros headphones, Denon AH-D2000 and Koss ksc75.. fast transient attack & ultra low noise just like very good s/s amp SQ.. volume knob between 8:30 to 10:00 enough for my taste as i listen to rock/pop/disco/new wave/nam/motown/ost albums

btw, 1/8 output jack added at front face plate to eliminate need for adapter
2ezgz78.jpg

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #332 of 659
indeed, i was informed the green caps are Russian made oil caps ? the added toggle switch made driver tubes rolling quite easier Voltraizer. gain 5 for oem 6Ji while Mullard ef91 and Mullard ef92 preferred gain 7. i will also try gain 10 as suggested by sir Don and see which driver tubes perform better on said setting as per my Grados/Alessandros headphones at home
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #333 of 659
rather than looking at gain per tube, look at gain per phones, keep in mind a pot will track better in the middle of the range.
You will not find much differences in gain other than lesser gain == lesser distortion.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #334 of 659
Wich one is the better power tubes for mk2 between 6N6P or 6N6P-I ? And which driver tubes would be correct solution for creamy mids and tamed higs?

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #335 of 659
Two questions: Does the MK II have the ground loop hiss issues that the older LD II amps had, or is that resolved with this redesign? Also, is there enough room to mod in a nuetrik jack? (1/4)

All my headphones either come with a 1/4 screw on jack or come with one built in.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #336 of 659
i have oem 6N6 and aftermarket 6N6P .. i can not tell the difference

as per my ears and preferred SQ oem driver tubes 6Ji seem to sound better on gain 5 while Mullard ef91 and Mullard ef92 perform much better on gain 7...volume knob marker usually on 8:30 to 10:00 enough for me

FWIW, all headphones/transducers used are low impedance (Grado/Alessandro, ksc75)... i listen mostly rock/pop, nam, new wave, 70s/80s disco music... i prefer adequate amount of tight bass, revealing mids and smooth roll off on highs

without signal i hear tiny bit of noise at maximum volume (5:00) which was gone from around 4:00 and lower ... hence, on my listening level i do not hear noise nor humming

music sourced from laptop iTunes lossless ripped from CDs >> SuperPro usb DAC707 >> LD mk ll >> headphones (denon d2000, ksc75, ms1, ms2i, sr225, sr325iS & HF-2)

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #337 of 659
I don't hear any noise with my 250ohm beyers when music stopped. Probably hiss issue come from high gain with low impedance phones

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #338 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have oem 6N6 and aftermarket 6N6P .. i can not tell the difference

as per my ears and preferred SQ oem driver tubes 6Ji seem to sound better on gain 5 while Mullard ef91 and Mullard ef92 perform much better on gain 7...volume knob marker usually on 8:30 to 10:00 enough for me

FWIW, all headphones/transducers used are low impedance (Grado/Alessandro, ksc75)... i listen mostly rock/pop, nam, new wave, 70s/80s disco music... i prefer adequate amount of tight bass, revealing mids and smooth roll off on highs

without signal i hear tiny bit of noise at maximum volume (5:00) which was gone from around 4:00 and lower ... hence, on my listening level i do not hear noise nor humming

music sourced from laptop iTunes lossless ripped from CDs >> SuperPro usb DAC707 >> LD mk ll >> headphones (denon d2000, ksc75, ms1, ms2i, sr225, sr325iS & HF-2)

That's makes the MK II, and breaks the MK III as I've read really bad reports on the hiss in the MK III.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #340 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wich one is the better power tubes for mk2 between 6N6P or 6N6P-I ? And which driver tubes would be correct solution for creamy mids and tamed higs?

I am changing my question and I hope this one could get an answer
biggrin.gif

I found this:
6J1P-EV = 6AK7 = EF95. VHF Pentodes mil specs. Lot of 4 - eBay (item 200382790515 end time Sep-17-09 23:19:00 PDT)

What is it's situation compared to Mullard 8100? These are pretty cheap!!

For power tubes I found:
6N6P RUSSIAN DOUBLE OUTPUT TRIODES. Lot of 4 - eBay (item 380157223095 end time Sep-16-09 12:29:43 PDT)

And this
6N6P-I = ECC99 ~ E182CC Double Triode Lot of 4 NIB - eBay (item 350246664677 end time Sep-29-09 13:48:38 PDT)

Please some advice from tube masters
redface.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #341 of 659
i would say roll some 6AK5s, and try some 403Bs, you never know what you'll like. those are cheaper options, i haven't heard the mullard 8100s, but i'm itching to try them but i'll probably wait a few weeks. the 6N6P/6H6Ps are pretty easy to find and aren't expensive, but definitely get them matched, ensures that you won't have to go through that trouble. I go some LM ericsson 403Bs and some hytron 6AK5s, and they aren't bad at all. i tend to steer away from ebay purchases if online stores have them, feels like a better guarantee, especially for power tubes if you need them matched.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #342 of 659
I just bought a LD MkII. A couple questions...

How do the RCA output jacks work? Are they active and driven by the preamp tubes with a unity gain output?

I read through the guide after buying it and it mentions that you get no volume control when accidentally connecting to the "out" RCA jacks. I'm guessing then that the output RCA jacks are in fact after the pre-amp stage, but before the power amp stage. If that's the case, they also must be affected by the gain setting. That's going to be a HOT feed if my gain is set to 10x for my Sennheisers.
eek.gif

I would like to connect my normal computer speakers via those jacks when not listening to my headphones. (Line input on my Klipsch Pro Medias.)

Also what are people using for power tubes? I've heard 6H30Pi-EH thrown around. (I already picked up a set of matched Mullard 6CQ6 driver tubes.)

Thanks,
Ben

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #343 of 659
Now Im confused... some place near the beggining of this thread it was said that the 6n6p is not suitable for this amp then later on Penchum said it was. hmm oh well I guess I'll just have to try them myself

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #344 of 659
Also interested in the preamp questions... Any other users that can give recommendations on using it as a preamp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtonPuncher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do the RCA output jacks work? Are they active and driven by the preamp tubes with a unity gain output?

I read through the guide after buying it and it mentions that you get no volume control when accidentally connecting to the "out" RCA jacks. I'm guessing then that the output RCA jacks are in fact after the pre-amp stage, but before the power amp stage. If that's the case, they also must be affected by the gain setting. That's going to be a HOT feed if my gain is set to 10x for my Sennheisers.
eek.gif

I would like to connect my normal computer speakers via those jacks when not listening to my headphones. (Line input on my Klipsch Pro Medias.)

Also what are people using for power tubes? I've heard 6H30Pi-EH thrown around. (I already picked up a set of matched Mullard 6CQ6 driver tubes.)

Thanks,
Ben

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #345 of 659
QUOTE****
Originally Posted by ButtonPuncher View Post

Thanks,
Ben
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Reddit!Facebook it!
QUOTE****

I use my MKII as preamp daily, sometimes with headphones and speakers through preamp together at the same time. although some power is lost from Preamp outs when HP's are plugged in.

The RCA out volume is controlled by volume knob in unison with HP jack. IF gain setting is set to 10 the RCA and HP jack get the signal gain boost

I love my MKII, Currently using 6H6p-i(6n6p-i) power tubes and Mullard M8161 driver tubes. i noticed cleaner SQ when at lowest gain setting compared to gain of 10.(i believe the lowest gain is 3). my HP are sony 7506 and AKG K240M 600Ohm(have to crank up the volume near max for these babies).
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back