Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
May 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #1,096 of 1,252

Quote:
I did a little mod to the FUN. On the DIR9001 module, I swapped the stock XO clock to a Tentlabs XO which was unused since I switched back to non-oversampling on the DI. The effect of this is a soundstage expanding dramatically. Listening through a HD650, it sounds like the sonic image is now very solidly in front of the head, with definite placing of instruments in the audio space. Its like moving several steps back in a concert hall presentation. There were times, when I felt as though I was not listening through a headphone but speakers instead.  Vocals have a definite presence, standing in front of the instrumental ensemble. Before this, there seems to be a slight smoothness to the sonics, characteristics which Kingwa described for the FUN.

The sonics now seems to have enhanced clarity without any any hint of edginess at all and sound very sweet. I am not sure if this is a neutral sound but when compared to the DAC19/C2 combo, I can only describe the FUN is now sweeter and clearer with a soundstage that is comparable to the other set-up. Also, the opamp used is a ADA4627-1BRZ modules mounted on browndog adapters.

There's a few other mods I like to try, notably Prickly Peete's mods that should increase the dynamics of the FUN. For now, the XO upgrade brings very obvious results.

Do you mind to share how could you mod this? I was planning to upgrade the clock too but not sure how to get it done.

May 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,097 of 1,252
I really do need to get myself that updated Wolfson 8741 DAC module.......I've been procrastinating WRT it for some months now.

Peete.

May 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,098 of 1,252

Quote:
Do you mind to share how could you mod this? I was planning to upgrade the clock too but not sure how to get it done.

It's quite easy. I just removed the stock clock on the DIR9001 module and just solder in the Tentlabs Clock as replacement. Just be sure of the orientation of the clock. On my module I noticed Pin 1 was removed from the stock clock so I put in the Tentlabs without soldering Pin 1 to the PCB.

May 31, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #1,099 of 1,252
I noticed that you are using the modded BNC input but I am using the USB input. Would you be kind enough to test your modded FUN by using the USB input? I would like to know if it still make a great improvement. Thanks.

Quote:

It's quite easy. I just removed the stock clock on the DIR9001 module and just solder in the Tentlabs Clock as replacement. Just be sure of the orientation of the clock. On my module I noticed Pin 1 was removed from the stock clock so I put in the Tentlabs without soldering Pin 1 to the PCB.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,100 of 1,252
is there a way to wire in actual speakers into the line out of this amp/dac?  I have two spare speakers sitting around with no spare AV receiver to run them on.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,101 of 1,252

Quote:
is there a way to wire in actual speakers into the line out of this amp/dac?  I have two spare speakers sitting around with no spare AV receiver to run them on.

You need active speakers or a power amp and speaker cables (if the speakers are passive). The FUN has a preamp function which means it won't have enough output through it's line out (variable or fixed) to power a set of speakers on it's own. What speakers do you have ?

Peete.

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #1,102 of 1,252

Quote:
You need active speakers or a power amp and speaker cables (if the speakers are passive). The FUN has a preamp function which means it won't have enough output through it's line out (variable or fixed) to power a set of speakers on it's own. What speakers do you have ?

Peete.

The speakers are junk ones from probably 1995 or so I found in my closet while cleaning the other day.  I run the FUN on my desktop PC so other than headphones I have no speakers hooked up to the computer and figured why not put some speakers on here.

Anyways, I just found them online here...like I said nothing special just was looking for some use out of them before I throw them out...

http://www.pawnmart.com/?itemid=68719521024

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,103 of 1,252
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster here.  So I have a problem with my FUN, it has a nice 60Hz hum.  Some background information, I purchased it back in November and It's been there since day one but I've been able to adjust volumes so that I can't hear it over louder music but more recently I've started to listen to more quieter music such as classical, so it's easy to hear the hum over the music.  I have done searches and I haven't found to much useful information.  When I bought the FUN, I had read the 50 some pages of this post but I didn't read anything like this.

Now before you jump and say that it's a ground loop problem here's the testing I've done.  I have been talking with Prickly Peete, thanks again Peete,  and he suggested the Ebtech HumX to try for a ground loop.  So with the set up HumX -> Audio GD Filter -> Stock Power Cable -> FUN -> Headphones (Beyer DT 1350), there is still a hum.  The humX and filter show that it's not a ground loop, and for this set up, you can see there are no sources connected so it can't be caused through USB (which I use).  With the described set up, I can select all 3 sources, high/low gain and line in/out and the hum is present through the HP and pre-amp out, but not through the DAC, the DAC is silent.  For the DAC I matched volume levels of the HP and pre-amp, then compared.

More info, when the FUN is cold and the volume at 0, the hum is barely audible.  I can increase the volume knob until 12 or so and the volume increases slightly while increasing the knob after 12, the hum increases much more.  Now when the FUN has warmed up, the hum is clearly audible at 0 volume, but still follows the same volume pattern and at full volume the hum is still the same volume as the FUN being cold.

The question is, is it possible to trace the problem and find out what it is, and can I fix it without sending it back to China?  I had emailed Kingwa at the end of April, and he said it was a ground loop or I should send it back to checked.

Thanks,
Will

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #1,104 of 1,252
Will, rather than using the Hum X  device with the A-gd LC/Filter's AC line, which powers your entire setup, isolate the amp/dac in your system and use Hum X only on the FUN's AC mains cable. That should kill the ground loop.

Peete.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #1,105 of 1,252

Quote:
Will, rather than using the Hum X  device with the A-gd LC/Filter's AC line, which powers your entire setup, isolate the amp/dac in your system and use Hum X only on the FUN's AC mains cable. That should kill the ground loop.

Peete.

I had thought about that and was planning to post about it.  With any combination that I can make with the HumX, filter and FUN, the hum is still there. 

I also checked all the wiring connections I could and they all were still in their place.  Is there anything else within the FUN that could have been adjusted, moved or something during the shipping process?  I noticed two variable resistors towards the back, is there a one in a million chances that they were somehow slightly adjusted?

Will

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,106 of 1,252
If hum is present with no source or external amp connected (the only connections are power cord and headphones) then it cannot possibly be a ground loop because there is no loop involved. To have a ground loop hum, you have to have at least two different grounds coming in. (Typically one would be through the AC cord and the other would be through an interconnect cable from another device.) With only one ground coming in, HumX isn't going to help. Also, ground loop hums are very unlikely to change as a product warms up.

If the hum is only present in the headphone and preamp outputs but not the DAC output, then the problem is likely to be somewhere in the preamp/ACSS/volume control circuitry. Because the hum changes with the temperature of the unit, there's a chance you could isolate it to a specific component by the use of cold air spray (as from a compressed air can), directing the air around to individual parts until you find one that changes the hum when hit with the cold air. But unless you're a qualified electronic technician, knowing which component is bad won't do you much good.

My suggestion is to send the unit back to get it diagnosed and repaired by the manufacturer.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,107 of 1,252
Bostonears, I liked the suggestion to use compressed air, so I tried it out but that did not help find the component.  I also checked the continuity of the ground at various other grounds and the paths were clean with the idea, perhaps something isn't grounded well which is causing the hum.

So it's looking like I might have to ship it back...

Will

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,108 of 1,252
I guess I'll be joining the Audio-GD Fun Club 
tongue.gif
 too, soon enough.
Mine is on it's way, been shipped yesterday.

I would like to thank you guys for that much information across that thread. It's been a (long and) very helpful read, for sure.

Now comes the hard part, waiting the month or so to get it by my door. EMS to Brazil is very slow, but I hope it's worth the wait.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,109 of 1,252
Welcome to the club!!!

Quote:
I guess I'll be joining the Audio-GD Fun Club 
tongue.gif
 too, soon enough.
Mine is on it's way, been shipped yesterday.

I would like to thank you guys for that much information across that thread. It's been a (long and) very helpful read, for sure.

Now comes the hard part, waiting the month or so to get it by my door. EMS to Brazil is very slow, but I hope it's worth the wait.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #1,110 of 1,252
Good morning everybody,

I´ve just recently joined the club with purchasing a used FUN.
I´ve already started modding it since the most important changes are quite easy to realize.
I´ve changed the Chip at the DAC to an LME49720NA, which really brought some advantage in the stage and details.
Next step will be to change the built-in oscillator to an TentLabs XO which I´ve already ordered.
Then I´ll probably swap the 100uF electrolytic Capacitors on the buffer stages and other locations to others.
I´ve read that somebody already did that. What values were used? Since metal-film capacitors will be quite large with 100uF.
I´m suspecting that one could use smaller values for that.

One problem remains though and for solving it I need your help.
Unfortunately I don´t know how to set the jumpers for the sound favor.
I´ve already asked the guys at AGD but didn´t get an answer.
There is nothing on their homepage and also nothing in the manual.

So could anybody please tell me how to set them for the different configurations.

Thank you!

Cheers
Kai

Users who are viewing this thread

Back