Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Mar 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,066 of 1,252
RTF, get all three hdams if you can. I had preconceived notions of my preferences as well, until I paired the HD650 with the Moon hdam. The differences are quiet distinct and you may find great synergy in unlikely configurations. I feel this ability to tailor the sound to your preference is the Fun's best feature.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,068 of 1,252
thanka for the advice. One question, is spdif better the USB?

Quote:
@tama

If you visualize the Fun as your Dac/amp for several years, as I do, go with version A. Otherwise you may regret later not having the neutrik jack, goldplated connectors, etc.

As for the opamp you should at least get both Moon and Earth. Earth is very neutral, Moon makes the sound warmer, but I supose that with certain cans, it would be like putting too much syrup on your wafles.

Also regarding the Spdif module, go with Dir9001, it has less jitter and is very neutral, if you want to tweak the sound you can do it later with the opamps.

My 2c

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #1,069 of 1,252

Quote:
thanka for the advice. One question, is spdif better the USB?

I would say it is but not by a huge margin, It's really hard to me to tell because I use the optical with my BR / CD player as transport and USB with foobar. Since my laptop does not have an optical output I can't do a real A/B comparison. 

maybe olor1n or  sphinvxc can answer this better :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #1,073 of 1,252

Quote:

I would say it is but not by a huge margin, It's really hard to me to tell because I use the optical with my BR / CD player as transport and USB with foobar. Since my laptop does not have an optical output I can't do a real A/B comparison. 

maybe olor1n or  sphinvxc can answer this better :)

I use optical out of my Macbook. I use it as it frees up a usb port and I don't have to worry about interference. Not sure I'd be able to distinguish a difference in sq though.

And just to chime in on the background noise. Yes the Fun is dead silent. My MS-1i is low impedance with high sensitivity. On my RA-1 clone there's a hum that I don't notice with the HD650. Through the Fun at any level there is nothing. Black.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,074 of 1,252
Does anyone have a tube amp (woo audio or schiit or even mad ear) to compare with their audio gd fun with opa-moon.  Everyone says the moon is tube like.  
I would really like to know how close it is in tube likeness. Can anyone compare their fun with moon with their tube amp?

thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,077 of 1,252
The moon isn't tube like. It is warm, but doesn't sound anything like a tube. don't like it when warmish ss components are described as tube like. I've never hear anything ss that sounds anything like any tube. Some people have been turned away from tubes after hearing ss gear described as tube like and hated once hearing it. And also keep in mind tubes doesn't always equate to warmness. Some cheaper tube gear can sound warm, but the warmness doesn't necessarily come from the tubes, but from cheap capacitors. Other times the warmness could come from the output transformer. I have listened to many, many tube amps that were more neutral than some of  the best solid state designs. But even the tube amps that does sound warm doesn't sound anything like the moon. The tube "warmness" can't be duplicated by any solid state component.  The moon sounds dark, colored, with added distortion. Some might describe it as musical, but IMO, it's anything but. I much prefer the sound of the earth. It's far more neutral and musical to my ears.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,078 of 1,252
I really like how moon tames the highs on my grados on the songs that were too bright for them, nevertheless on the songs that were perfect with Earth and Grados combo, some nice roughness is lost with moon IMO.

I will spend some time again with the earth now that I recieve my HD650s, so I can decide which goes better with them. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #1,080 of 1,252
Hi, I just received my FUN. I now have several questions as I haven't expecting what I got:

1. How can I get 24/96 output using USB under Linux?
2. My HP are the HD650 and the gain is really low even when I push out the Gain button. Is that supposed to be so?
3. I have several jumpers (20?) in the box. I read that you can adjust the sound flavor with the J6L,J6R,J7L,J7R jumpers but there is another jumper close to the front of the FUN that says "Emergency Mode". What does it do?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back