Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Feb 15, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #976 of 1,252

Quote:

Try disabling all non MS services at msconfig.exe - selective start (safe boot) and restart your pc. Then reconnect the DAC and see what happens. Hope that helps!

Thanks for trying to help mate, I gave it a shot but still didn't work. Just got my brothers new PC up and running and again it worked perfectly fine on that >.> I am thinking I might have to do a fresh reformat and see if that works..

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #977 of 1,252
Sorry to hear that, Reinstalling windows is always a pain in the a...

good luck!

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #978 of 1,252

Quote:

I´m about to recieve my FUN and would also like to know about this....I want to get bit perfect sound from the first minute 
bigsmile_face.gif

so what is better for the FUN and its usb module? whats the best way to configure it in windows 7?

I will use the FUN with the laptop (flac and 320 mp3), but I also will be using a sony bdp-s370 as transport for cds (using coax).

for dvds and blu rays would you recommend to use the fun as DAC or just as AMP? the 370 is supposed to have a Wolfson DAC, SACD capable,

Also the S370 gives me the option on the coax output to be either DPCM or Dobly / DTS. what should I select? 

Thanks for your advice!

I meant to post a follow up to my earlier post with what I'd found out.  I think the settings I have are correct for bit perfect via WASAPI in the screenshots I posted.  The first screen cap I posted of the Advanced tab from control panel is the sample rate windows used when it is using the mixer (shared mode).  This sample rate should not be relevant to getting bit perfect, as when using WASAPI, you are using exclusive mode, and mixer is bypassed.  If you were using the DAC via the Mixer then this is the bit rate it will used for shared mode access from windows, i.e. sound coming from multiple sources, like a video or song playing, and sound coming from a windows itself like a warning bell sound, it will be resampled from the various sources to this rate. 

Over in foobar, the setting for 24 bit is correct.  Per a couple sources I found, windows will pad 16bit material with zero's, so it remains bit perfect. If you play 24 bit material, it passes along just fine.  

Take a look at: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Lib/OperatingSystemsHandlingOfSampleRates.pdf and other links on the same site.  The author has sections on USB DAC and on foobar with lots of detail.  I also found some references on head-fi in some of the other audio-gd threads, as several other devices use the TE7022, so the setup is the same if its a Fun or some Reference model they sell.

RonO

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #979 of 1,252
Matthew - 

I recently replaced the USB interface on my Fun, it was the older 48/16 USB, not the newer TE7022 based interface.  The old one would not work, plug and play saw it, but reported it as an unknown device. Obviously it was fried, as replacing it got it to work again.  I have had the same experience as you with finicky USB, I have an old compaq laptop, and getting the USB interface to PnP on that is a chore, yet on my somewhat newer desktop PC, it works like clockwork.  Here is something you can try - each time you install a USB device (or pretty much any device for that matter) in windows, a device is created in the device manager.  These devices never leave the system, they just become hidden when not in use.  In case one of the instances of the USB is causing you the problem, you can clear out the hidden instances of the USB DAC from the machine.  

You need to run a CMD.exe command prompt as administrator, then once in the command prompt, follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539, which consists of setting this environment variable:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

and then from that command prompt window with the environment variable set, run devmgmt.msc.  Once in devmgmt, make sure to click on "show hidden devices" on the view tab to see the hidden devices.

Here is a sample from my desktop PC:

You see the TE7022 shows up 3 times, why?... because I've used different USB ports, causing the PnP detection to trigger a new device each time. Also notice they are "dim", as they are not active devices on the system, and are hidden. You can highlight each entry, right click and choose Uninstall to remove the device.  You can also see a good example below, the "Fuji FinePix Camera" device got installed when my camera PnP'ed on the system.  

Essentially all this will do is make the next occurance of a PnP detection re-detect and reset all the device settings. It might help, and won't take over 5 minutes try.

Good luck!

RonO

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #980 of 1,252

Quote:
Matthew - 

I recently replaced the USB interface on my Fun, it was the older 48/16 USB, not the newer TE7022 based interface.  The old one would not work, plug and play saw it, but reported it as an unknown device. Obviously it was fried, as replacing it got it to work again.  I have had the same experience as you with finicky USB, I have an old compaq laptop, and getting the USB interface to PnP on that is a chore, yet on my somewhat newer desktop PC, it works like clockwork.  Here is something you can try - each time you install a USB device (or pretty much any device for that matter) in windows, a device is created in the device manager.  These devices never leave the system, they just become hidden when not in use.  In case one of the instances of the USB is causing you the problem, you can clear out the hidden instances of the USB DAC from the machine.  

You need to run a CMD.exe command prompt as administrator, then once in the command prompt, follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539, which consists of setting this environment variable:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

and then from that command prompt window with the environment variable set, run devmgmt.msc.  Once in devmgmt, make sure to click on "show hidden devices" on the view tab to see the hidden devices.

Here is a sample from my desktop PC:

You see the TE7022 shows up 3 times, why?... because I've used different USB ports, causing the PnP detection to trigger a new device each time. Also notice they are "dim", as they are not active devices on the system, and are hidden. You can highlight each entry, right click and choose Uninstall to remove the device.  You can also see a good example below, the "Fuji FinePix Camera" device got installed when my camera PnP'ed on the system.  

Essentially all this will do is make the next occurance of a PnP detection re-detect and reset all the device settings. It might help, and won't take over 5 minutes try.

Good luck!

RonO

Sweet post!

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #981 of 1,252
Thanks Rono! 
beerchug.gif

btw, stupid question, how did your old usb module get fried?

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #983 of 1,252
so i just setup my android phone to serve as a remote control for foobar

now i can plug my laptop and fun in on a shelf and put my headphone stand near my bed and listen in bed with control via my mobile :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #984 of 1,252

Quote:

I´m about to recieve my FUN and would also like to know about this....I want to get bit perfect sound from the first minute 
bigsmile_face.gif

so what is better for the FUN and its usb module? whats the best way to configure it in windows 7?

I will use the FUN with the laptop (flac and 320 mp3), but I also will be using a sony bdp-s370 as transport for cds (using coax).

for dvds and blu rays would you recommend to use the fun as DAC or just as AMP? the 370 is supposed to have a Wolfson DAC, SACD capable,

Also the S370 gives me the option on the coax output to be either DPCM or Dobly / DTS. what should I select? 

Thanks for your advice!

As far my experience concerns, it will not be real bit-perfect if you use coax of your dvd player to feed the Fun (or any other dac), so not the quality output you expecting. I have googled and researched the whole matter for quite some time as well as experienced it practically. The DVD player going to down mix or down sample the source matter using its internal dac or logic before feed out to coax. So believe me, you going to get same quality over DVD player's own RCA output as well as through coax output using Fun. I mean to say superior quality dac inside Fun will process the down sampled bit-stream (to make it analog) from dvd player (through coax) without knowing what happened to the original source which was compromised up the flow. You just missing the full capability of your external DAC and so the quality. Either use a DVD player with superior DAC housed inside or pair the Fun with computer (USB preferable) with softwares which will avoid the internal mixing of OS as far possible.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #986 of 1,252

Quote:

As far my experience concerns, it will not be real bit-perfect if you use coax of your dvd player to feed the Fun (or any other dac), so not the quality output you expecting. I have googled and researched the whole matter for quite some time as well as experienced it practically. The DVD player going to down mix or down sample the source matter using its internal dac or logic before feed out to coax. So believe me, you going to get same quality over DVD player's own RCA output as well as through coax output using Fun. I mean to say superior quality dac inside Fun will process the down sampled bit-stream (to make it analog) from dvd player (through coax) without knowing what happened to the original source which was compromised up the flow. You just missing the full capability of your external DAC and so the quality. Either use a DVD player with superior DAC housed inside or pair the Fun with computer (USB preferable) with softwares which will avoid the internal mixing of OS as far possible.

[size=medium]

The BDP-S370 on board DAC (Wolfson) supossed to handle up to 24 bit / 192 KHz. Nevertheles SPDIF output has its limitations.

Digital audio via SPDIF is limited to LPCM, dts and Dolby Digital. CD will be outputed via SPDIF at 44.1kHz / 16 bits.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/517789/2010-model-sacd-player-from-sony-bdp-s370-bargain-of-the-century-hi-fi-world-magazine/90

[/size]

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #987 of 1,252
if someone could provide a quick guide to show non electrical gurus how to change op amps properly without damaging them for this thread it would be highly appreciated :D

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #988 of 1,252

>  btw, stupid question, how did your old usb module get fried?

I've no clue...  I had the Fun setup on a shelf with my two channel setup, a receiver, 5 disc CD changer and a Project turntable.  I would use the DAC out connection to my receiver, the 5 disc CD on coax, and a long as spec allows USB cable (5 meters) connected also..  This allowed me to sit across the room is my beat-up lazy boy chair, and play tunes via USB from my laptop, and either listen via speakers or HP.  I'm guessing either static electricity from me getting in an out of the chair, or it could be my wife or dog "pulled" the cable somehow to physically break the module.  It just would no longer PnP, showed up as "unknown device".   I figured it cheaper for me to just order the new part then to send the whole thing back to China for repair.  It worked out, but with shipping it was $50. Sometimes I think I have the world's most expensive Fun, with 3 DAC's, 2 Opamps, 2 USB's and a w h o l e lot of shipping charges.  Cheers!

RonO

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #989 of 1,252

Quote:
if someone could provide a quick guide to show non electrical gurus how to change op amps properly without damaging them for this thread it would be highly appreciated :D

If you look at the default OPA2134 that is installed in the socket, you notice a small notch or D shaped impression on one end.  This is the key for the direction of the chip. It faces the rear of the case  The Earth and Moon modules I have also  D printed in black on the bottom to get correct orientation.  I think the socket itself also has the D on the end pointing to the rear, so you orient by lining up the D to D.  It's easier to just make sure the ground wire of the Earth or Moon are facing toward the front:

(Photo credit: Audio-gd.com)

If this doesn't explain it well enough - just let me know and I'll get some photos from inside my amp with the OPA removed.

RonO

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #990 of 1,252
Quote:

I posted this month ago, it should help:
--
(http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/468522/review-of-the-audio-gd-fun-a-modular-dac-headphone-amp-preamp/915#post_7232872)
That's the stock opa and yes it is a bit difficult to get off, you just need to get under it with something and pry it off.  
Orient the Earth/Moon/Sun the correct way.  (The ground wire should be coming out of the opa facing the front of the Fun.)
Insert the Earth/Moon/Sun.
Unscrew the ground / place the Earth/Moon/Sun's ground connection there and screw it down.  (It's just there to secure the wire, you don't have to go crazy getting it tight.)

Here's a picture of mine with the ground wire's connection visible.  Again, do make sure you get the orientation of the Earth/Moon/Sun correct.  

Edit: Here's another guide: http://ref.ampcity.co.uk/opa-installation-guide.pdf

--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back