Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #901 of 1,252
Just thought it would helpful to share my experience ordering the FUN with AGD.

Ordered the B version and was sent a confirmation of the components in my unit.
At the end of my first week I was advised by Olor1n to change the output on my Macbook to 24-bit/96 khz to take advantage of my TE7022 usb module.  I tried.
It turns out AGD forgot to install the TE7022 and I'm limited to 16-bit/48 khz usb input.
I wrote AGD and asked them to ship the TE7022 module to me.  
They replied that they forgot to install it and coincidentally also forgot to charge me for it, they said they would ship free if I paid $26 for the TE7022.  I opted to use the free shipping on the sun op-amp instead since I will soon be using optical anyway.

Bhaskarjyotik - I would second the config. olor1n recommended except I would advise that you forego the TE7022 if you have optical or coax output (both are 24-bit / 96 khz) from your source/computer.

You may want to think long and hard about the NFB-12 vs. FUN if you don't intend to play around with the FUN's components.  An advantage of the FUN is the Earth opamp which is excellent, I haven't heard the stock one as I took it out as soon as I got the unit.  However you may want to look into the op-amp I speak of in the above post that the OP of this thread used successfully with the FUN.  If the NFB-12's op-amp is socketed like the FUN's it may be worth it to shoot for the dual 8741s the NFB-12 has.

If the NFB-12 sounds as good as the FUN with the Earth opamp then the NFB-12 is money spent well, very very well.

Edit: though this post sounds quite negative I quite like the FUN and am happy with the SQ I'm getting from it for the price I paid.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #902 of 1,252

I would probably purchase it from Kingwa directly. Thanks.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. But can anybody tell me the difference between the DIR9001 and the WM8805 modules?
Also which output buffer is a better option between FET and Diamond?
Will be glad if someone can help.

no problem.  I"d read the 1st post of this thread the guy who reviews it goes into great detail.  If you do opt for the model I linked ya to I can assure you ya won't be disappointed!

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #903 of 1,252

Thanks.

I have three questions for you.
1. How do you change the output of you MBP from 16/48 to 24/96? I plan to use the USB out of my MBP.
2. I do not have any optical or coaxial out. I do not think a can get them on a MBP. How do you plan to use the optical out?
3. Do you know the difference between the receivers DIR9001 and WM8805? It seems like WM8805 is the default in the A-version.

I mostly plan to use OPA EARTH with FUN. Do you think it will be a better choice than NFB-12.
I am not sure if I will be using the coaxial or optical.

Thanks again. I hope you are enjoying your new HD650s.

Update: Forget the first question. I just realized that I can change the outputs using the Audio MIDI setup utility.
Quote:
Just thought it would helpful to share my experience ordering the FUN with AGD.

Ordered the B version and was sent a confirmation of the components in my unit.
At the end of my first week I was advised by Olor1n to change the output on my Macbook to 24-bit/96 khz to take advantage of my TE7022 usb module.  I tried.
It turns out AGD forgot to install the TE7022 and I'm limited to 16-bit/48 khz usb input.
I wrote AGD and asked them to ship the TE7022 module to me.  
They replied that they forgot to install it and coincidentally also forgot to charge me for it, they said they would ship free if I paid $26 for the TE7022.  I opted to use the free shipping on the sun op-amp instead since I will soon be using optical anyway.

Bhaskarjyotik - I would second the config. olor1n recommended except I would advise that you forego the TE7022 if you have optical or coax output (both are 24-bit / 96 khz) from your source/computer.

You may want to think long and hard about the NFB-12 vs. FUN if you don't intend to play around with the FUN's components.  An advantage of the FUN is the Earth HDAM which is excellent, I haven't heard the stock one as I took it out as soon as I got the unit.  However you may want to look into the op-amp I speak of in the above post that the OP of this thread used successfully with the FUN.  If the NFB-12's op-amp is socketed like the FUN's it may be worth it to shoot for the dual 8741s the NFB-12 has.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #904 of 1,252
1. Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI > It's quite simple from there, you just pick 96 khz / 24-bit.
2. My 2006 "First Gen" Macbook has optical out built into it's headphone jack, I'm certain you have it.  You will need a toslink-to-mini adapter.
3. As far as I know the DIR9001 has lower jitter than the WM8805.  I believe WM8805 is default on both versions.  How much this affects the sound signature, I would go with Kingwa's words, I prefer the DIR9001 with my HD650s:

DIR9001
"[size=small]Its sound characteristic is neutral ."[/size]
WM8805
"[size=small]Its sound characteristic is neutral and detail but slight smooth."[/size]

Lovin' the 650s, still indebted to you for sharing the Sonic Sense deal with me.

Quote:
Thanks.

1. How do you change the output of you MBP from 16/48 to 24/96? I plan to use the USB out of my MBP.
2. I do not have any optical or coaxial out. I do not think a can get them on a MBP. How do you plan to use the optical out?
3. Do you know the difference between the receivers DIR9001 and WM8805? It seems like WM8805 is the default in the A-version.

I mostly plan to use OPA EARTH with FUN. Do you think it will be a better choice than NFB-12.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #905 of 1,252
AHHHH i did not realize that MBP has optical out in the headphone out. 
Thanks. I will go with the 9001 as well.
I think Diamond buffer is the default now. No FET option available. 

Quote:
1. Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI > It's quite simple from there, you just pick 96 khz / 24-bit.
2. My 2006 "First Gen" Macbook has optical out built into it's headphone jack, I'm certain you have it.  You will need a toslink-to-mini adapter.
3. As far as I know the DIR9001 has lower jitter than the WM8805.  I believe WM8805 is default on both versions.  How much this affects the sound signature, I would go with Kingwa's words, I prefer the DIR9001 with my HD650s:

DIR9001
"[size=small]Its sound characteristic is neutral ."[/size]
WM8805
"[size=small]Its sound characteristic is neutral and detail but slight smooth."[/size]

Lovin' the 650s, still indebted to you for sharing the Sonic Sense deal with me.

Quote:
Thanks.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #907 of 1,252
@ sphiinxvc - My understanding is that the NFB12 does not allow you to change the opamp at the DAC's output stage (not sure if it even has one). This to me is the NFB12's downfall compared to the Fun. Anyone who's ever changed from the default opamp on the Fun will testify to the drastic change this can result in. It's especially vital for a revealing headphone like the HD650, as it allows you to tweak the sound to your preference.

And yes, the choices have decreased over time but it's been for the better. If you read through the thread you'll see ACSS was not available for the B version initially. Not sure when this changed but when I ordered in mid September it was default in the B version. And also going by some impressions it seems the diamond buffer (again the default) is the best of the lot (vs FET and whatever other option was available). From what I can gather the diamond buffers are employed in low gain, while ACSS is (somewhat) utilised in high gain. I'm not entirely sure on this, but there should be a discussion of that in this thread.

@ bhaskarjyotik - I'm sure many will agree that the default A version is the "best" configuration. You can pimp out the B version with the same modules so the only difference between the two in the end would be the brand of components used and the Neutrik locking plug (I now wish I'd requested this plug for my pimped out B version).

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #908 of 1,252
I also was debating between buying the B version and upgrading a few things, until I just figured I might as well get an A instead.  I had them upgrade the SPDIF to the Wolfson WM8805, and I installed an OPA-Earth module when it arrived.  I wish I would have also ordered at least the Moon module, too, as it's an easy DIY. 

I've run mine about 200 hours since getting it two weeks ago, mostly SACD and DVD-Audio sources, into HD-650's.

Quote:
Thanks a lot. What changes to you suggest if I buy the A version? I will place the order in Feb since it is not available right now. 

Quote:
If going with B version I'd recommend you go with DIR9001, TE7022, diamond (default) and the "better" WM8741 dac module. Grab Earth and Moon while you're at it.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #909 of 1,252

Quote:
I also was debating between buying the B version and upgrading a few things, until I just figured I might as well get an A instead.  I had them upgrade the SPDIF to the Wolfson WM8805, and I installed an OPA-Earth module when it arrived.  I wish I would have also ordered at least the Moon module, too, as it's an easy DIY. 

I've run mine about 200 hours since getting it two weeks ago, mostly SACD and DVD-Audio sources, into HD-650's.

Quote:
Thanks a lot. What changes to you suggest if I buy the A version? I will place the order in Feb since it is not available right now. 

Quote:
If going with B version I'd recommend you go with DIR9001, TE7022, diamond (default) and the "better" WM8741 dac module. Grab Earth and Moon while you're at it.

All a matter of preference of course, but I must say a properly burned in Moon makes some sweet music with the HD650. The ability to install these discrete opamps is without doubt the Fun's best feature imo.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #910 of 1,252
Quote:
All a matter of preference of course, but I must say a properly burned in Moon makes some sweet music with the HD650. The ability to install these discrete opamps is without doubt the Fun's best feature imo.

Agreed, it's one of the FUN's best features and that's what makes it such a good entry level choice - you can tweak the sound to your liking and then (with a better idea of what you are after) pursue better gear.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #911 of 1,252
one thing to keep in mind which I was totally surprised about when I got the unit is how BIG in size the Audio-GD FUN is.  Just something to keep in mind.  Most pictures made me think it was smaller than what it really is.  Here's how big it is compared to a 15" laptop and some headphones.  I had to do some desk organization to get it to fit on my desk (no this isn't my desk it's at a head-fi meet lol)

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #912 of 1,252
Hi FUN users,

I have decided to place an order for the A-version.
The only thing I could not decide on is whether to opt for the DIR9001 or the WM8805.
I will pair it with the Senn HD650 using macbook pro Optical out.
I was wondering if anyone can help me choose one between them. 

Kingwa has mentioned that .....
DIR9001's characteristics is neutral.
WM8805's characteristics is neutral and detail but slight smooth.

One thing I do not understand is that how can WM8805 be (more) detailed when it is smooth?
Does not smooth mean loss of detail, or am I missing something?
Did Kingwa try to mean something else?

Since HD650 is already not one of the headphones with most detailing sound characteristics I do not want the amp to further smoothen the sound.
In that case shall I prefer the DIR9001? It does have the lowest jitter.

Does anyone know if the module is user replaceable (say from DIR9001 to WM8805 later)?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #913 of 1,252

Quote:
Hi FUN users,

The only thing I could not decide on is whether to opt for the DIR9001 or the WM8805.

One thing I do not understand is that how can WM8805 be (more) detailed when it is smooth?

Since HD650 is already not one of the headphones with most detailing sound characteristics I do not want the amp to further smoothen the sound.

Does anyone know if the module is user replaceable (say from DIR9001 to WM8805 later)?

Thanks for your help.

^ I don't know about that...

=/

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #914 of 1,252

Quote:
Hi FUN users,

Thanks for your help.

YES.

When all else fails, read the website for the product you are buying.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #915 of 1,252
Smooth does not automatically mean undetailed, it just means it has a smooth sound signature. And neutral does not automatically mean that it is very detailed, neutral means it doesn't add coloration to the sound. I have low-fi gear I consider very neutral sounding, but they aren't all that detailed.

Kingwa said when you use wm8741 and wm8805, the final sound will be smooth, as both are "a little smooth" and when combined it leans even further to the smooth side. If you like that, go for wm8805. If you want a final sound that is just "a little smooth", go wm8741 and dir9001, because dir9001 is supposed to be neutral sounding while wm8741 is a little smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back