Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #826 of 1,252
You might just want to observe the behavior of the pot-meter for some time. The ones used in the gd-audio equipment are not very dust-prone. It could well be that the initial contact pressure is not optimal. Usually the conductive layer in the pot needs some 'rubbing in'. The fact that it disappears after a few turns of the dial point to this. If the static gets worse contact gd-audio. There could be a problem with the pot.

BTW its a good habit to always return the pot to zero. This will save you from hearing damage and it will reduce the 'dipping' of the conductive layer of the pot when it stays in the same position.

ps: I don't own a FUN (yet) this response is based on general experience with audio electronics. I'm following this topic because I'm trying to decide about which price level I want to step on the audio-gd bandwagon. The Fun seems to give incredible value if you also need it as a preamp to feed a power amp (like me).

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #827 of 1,252
Hi middachten, thanks for your input. It's always great to get another angle on things. I did email Kingwa and he reassured me;

The noise not problems.
The FUN without couple caps and applied the DC serve circuits for better sound. And the volume pot is work on I/V model, slight DC level will has noise while turn the volume but some minutes later the DC level will lose because the DC serve work stabilization.
But the gear just power on and it want some minutes for the circuits stabilization so this time maybe can hear some noise while turn the volume pot through high sensitive headphone

so I'm not too concerned with it. My OCD will dictate that I make sure it doesn't get worse over time though as you've suggested.

Also good luck on your next purchase. Sounds like you're sold on Audio-GD, and if it has any bearing, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the decision. I've found Audio-GD to be a pleasure to deal with.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #828 of 1,252
The answer you received is in line with my thoughts. I actually had a BTW-2 added to my initial response: There is likely some DC action going on.
And the answer from Kingwa is a perfect explanation for the fact that the problem is gone after a short while. It also says something about the DC servo timing: slow.....  I like that!

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #831 of 1,252
Usually, IME, you only hear it when moving the POT, at least they stay that way a long time.

Later they can get noisy all the time.

Most Audiophiles complain and notice LONG before it becomes constant.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #832 of 1,252
When I asked about the static sound persisting if it was a dirty pot I didn't mean continued static while the pot was set. Let me clarify. There is no static or hum when the volume dial is set, regardless of position. The noise only occurs while first adjusting the volume dial after turning the amp on or plugging cans in. After a few turns up and down, the noise disappears entirely. The background is completely black when adjusting the pot after the first few turns.

So to put my OCD to rest, would you say that if it was a dirty pot I would have to put up with the noise every time I adjust the volume? That's not the case with my amp.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #834 of 1,252
Someone got experiences with FUN(Basic)+Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 and 250ohm combos? Because I'm now sure that i will buy 770 but only problem is that which of these combos sound better. And which of the OPA's sound best with these headphones? I'm mainly using the incoming combo at listening music(mainly metal like disturbed or tarot but basshunter and cascada goes too) meanwhile i'm playing. Sometimes watch movies too.

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #835 of 1,252
I'm thinking about buying the GD FUN Version A with the AD1852, DIR9001 and FET output buffers.  Two questions...

1.) How will this sound with Grado SR80, Sennheiser HD595, and Denon AH-D7000?

2.) How easy is it to swap out OPAMPs on this thing?  I have some old LM4562NA sitting around in my old X-Meridian sound card I wouldn't mind plugging in.  Are they socket based or what?  I don't see it clear cut in the pictures...

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #836 of 1,252
I've had minor ongoing issues with my volume pot which I could have lived, but now my headphone jack looks like it may need to be replaced. I've spoken to Kingwa about my issues and to save me the hassle and expense of sending the Fun back for warranty repair, he kindly offered to send me a replacement jack and possibly a new pot.

Now I don't have a DIY bone in my body but I'm willing to give this avenue a try first as these issues unfortunately affect sound quality and need to be addressed. Kingwa did say the headphone jack replacement should only require a screwdriver and when I had a quick look inside the Fun (B version) the socket and the small board it sits on seems be held in place by a single screw just like the other modules. I am however concerned about the cables and how the socket connects to the main board. I'm hoping there's no soldering involved.

The volume pot on the other hand seems like it may be a trickier proposition. My issue with the pot is minor and I can live with it but Kingwa did offer to send a replacement pot if I was confident in doing that myself as well. He also suggested I seek advice here as he was afraid his instructions may be lost in translation.

Can any one provide any insight into how I'd go about replacing mainly the headphone jack but also the volume pot was well? Thanks folks.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #837 of 1,252
Where do you live?

Quote:
I've had minor ongoing issues with my volume pot which I could have lived, but now my headphone jack looks like it may need to be replaced. I've spoken to Kingwa about my issues and to save me the hassle and expense of sending the Fun back for warranty repair, he kindly offered to send me a replacement jack and possibly a new pot.

Now I don't have a DIY bone in my body but I'm willing to give this avenue a try first as these issues unfortunately affect sound quality and need to be addressed. Kingwa did say the headphone jack replacement should only require a screwdriver and when I had a quick look inside the Fun (B version) the socket and the small board it sits on seems be held in place by a single screw just like the other modules. I am however concerned about the cables and how the socket connects to the main board. I'm hoping there's no soldering involved.

The volume pot on the other hand seems like it may be a trickier proposition. My issue with the pot is minor and I can live with it but Kingwa did offer to send a replacement pot if I was confident in doing that myself as well. He also suggested I seek advice here as he was afraid his instructions may be lost in translation.

Can any one provide any insight into how I'd go about replacing mainly the headphone jack but also the volume pot was well? Thanks folks.

It sounds great with the Multitude of Grados I own, The Senn 650 and the D5000 if that helps.  IMO, you will have no issues.

Those Opamps will work Fine.  I have some of them in my Claro Halo
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying the GD FUN Version A with the AD1852, DIR9001 and FET output buffers.  Two questions...

1.) How will this sound with Grado SR80, Sennheiser HD595, and Denon AH-D7000?

2.) How easy is it to swap out OPAMPs on this thing?  I have some old LM4562NA sitting around in my old X-Meridian sound card I wouldn't mind plugging in.  Are they socket based or what?  I don't see it clear cut in the pictures...

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #838 of 1,252
Removing the headphone jack from the Fun (B version) was simple enough and it is just the one screw holding it place. Looking at the socket, it bemuses me as to what may be causing the issue I'm having with the jack (namely a very subtle channel imbalance that sometimes results in a thinner, less dynamic sound, but is fixed when i rotate the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter while it is plugged in to find the balanced "sweet" spot). I'm pretty sure it's not the adapter or the plug on the headphone cable as I've tested a number of adapters and also different headphones in the Fun's jack with the same result. I've also tested those adapters and plugs on my other amp and the 1/8" of my cans out of other sources.

I've pulled the jack out of the Fun and have plugged all my adapters into the socket to see if there's a contact issue. The 3 clamps on the socket seem to connect and clamp properly and the adapters look like they go all the way in was well. The only other thing was the gold colored lining inside the mouth of the jack seems to have peeled off on one side (not sure if that would have any bearing). It may be the cable connecting the jack's small board to the main board but I don't understand how turning the adapter in the jack would fix any imbalance issues with that cable. Anyway I'll wait to receive the replacement jack from Audio-GD.

Kingwa sent this attachment that I missed initially. Any ideas as to how I'd go about removing the volume pot?

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #839 of 1,252
I got my Fun version A just a month ago. After continuous listening I felt the DAC out is more relaxing than Pre-Amp out. In my case I found DAC out and Pre-Amp out in same output power level when volume kept at 1 with high gain in pre-amp mode. Whatever that's not the isuue, I have my listening with total jumper free setting and with Earth Module. I felt less fatigue with DAC out in long session. Pre-Amp out has a bit little more bass response but lower on middle high frequency where as I found DAC out has more natural, live and relaxing for my ear. They both have almost 99.9% same details but the feelings are different but very close. If I have to give overall score then Pre-Amp out will get 9 whereas DAC out will 9.5.    

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #840 of 1,252
Interesting. I got my Fun yesterday. I have no clue about jumpers etc but will compare the DAC out with the Pre out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back