Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Aug 16, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #721 of 1,252
I'm sure Kingwa is going to hate me for suggesting this but just for FUN I wonder if an  ESS 9006 based DAC module might be possible...or maybe even a 9008
evil_smiley.gif

Peete.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #723 of 1,252
Thanks for the quick reply Kingwa !.....well that's that WRT the ESS idea.

Peete

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #724 of 1,252
As any of you receive the 8741 module, I'd appreciate if you could post a picture of the soldering you had to do to get this connected.  I've done soldering of wire to wire (car stereo installations) but never anything like soldering to a pin on a PCB, and I don't want to wreck the DIR module in the process.   I'm looking forward to hearing more observations on the new DAC as you all get the upgrade.   I've settled in on the AD1852, which via my speakers is great, but my already bright Denons are a bit too bright without soft2 or soft3 jumpers set. I'm hoping the 8741 will be "the" ticket.

RonO

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #725 of 1,252
I just installed mine today. Very easy soldering job, took about a minute. Just heat up the existing solder/pin and new wire while the module is installed. They should just melt together. I also added another tiny blob of solderer to reinforce it. It's only attaching one end of a wire to the dir9001 module.

So far the module is very dynamic and the frequency response is much more level than the ad1852. The 1852 seemed to have a spike in the upper mids. Very noticeable with female vocals. The new 8741 and 8740 is flatter. Both are very detailed so far. Also as previously stated, the dynamics are excellent. The 8471 seems slightly better than the updated/modded 8740 but not very much. Keep in mind these impressions are very preliminary. The module only has 8hrs from audio-gd and 4 hrs since I have received it. Where as buying a new Fun/Sparrow has 100 hours from audio-gd. So it's gonna be a little while before I can do a side by side comparison between the 8740 and 8741. The 8741 could use a little smoothing out but it's already better than the as1852.  Im not gonna bother comparing the 1852 to it. The 8740/8741 sound much more natural  and smooth to me with excellent dynamics and detail, so it's not really worth doing the comparison.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #726 of 1,252

You can refer to Audio-GD FUN's website for connection diagram with a provided wire between DIR and DAC modules (in earlier posting of this forum as well). The wire pre-soldered to DA8741 module is rather stiff so it is much easier to handle than softer wire. The solder point (3.3V supply) in DIR module is on top of connector and not close to any components so there is no danger of damaging any components. Just melt old solder at the solder point with application of new solder at the same time before making joint.I guess newer WM8741 requires 3.3V supply which is not present in DAC module thus there is the need to bring it in from nearby DIR module.

After installation of the new DA8741 module, listening with Denon D5000 from FUN's headphone output (low gain with volume at one o'clock) no longer sound too bright as compared with DA1852 module in place. I never like sound produced by favor jumper settings of soft2/soft3 in main PCB (J6x/J7x jumpers) as they affect dynamic range and clarity. Once DA8741 module has been installed, all connections should be removed from the four favor jumpers in main PCB.

Note WM8741 gives better dynamic range and stronger bass, thus bass may become too strong to someone when Denon D5000/D2000 is in use. I have switched cushion pads since day one from original to those used for Beyerdynamic DT880/DT990 on my Denon D5000 to tighten/reduce bass response.

Quote:
As any of you receive the 8741 module, I'd appreciate if you could post a picture of the soldering you had to do to get this connected.  I've done soldering of wire to wire (car stereo installations) but never anything like soldering to a pin on a PCB, and I don't want to wreck the DIR module in the process.   I'm looking forward to hearing more observations on the new DAC as you all get the upgrade.   I've settled in on the AD1852, which via my speakers is great, but my already bright Denons are a bit too bright without soft2 or soft3 jumpers set. I'm hoping the 8741 will be "the" ticket.

RonO

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #727 of 1,252
I didn't notice an increase in bass, but that's probably because I'm coming from the 8740 module.

My initial listening impressions were using the dac as a preamp to my speaker rig. I just switched to my k701's and am extremely impressed. The headphones definitely scale better than my speaker rig. My experience with high end equipment is very very limited. I was under the impression that the ad1852's dynamics were due to it's sound signature (slight emphasis on upper mids) and thought that a flat signature would never sound as dynamic. Well I was wrong!

I'm hoping it doesn't change too much with burn-in. At least not for the worse...

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #732 of 1,252
All it is is a jumper from the 3.3V pin of the DIR 9001 module to the unused 5V pin on the 8741 module. I just got through reading about the 8740 tweak (which I will give a go tomorrow along with some additional FrankenWORKS tweaks).

Also had a gawk at the new NFB-1 DAC...bloody tempting but I need another DAC like a hole in the head.
bigsmile_face.gif

Peete.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #733 of 1,252
The 8740 tweak is a small taste of the 8741 module, they share a similar sound signature without that last bit of refinement. I really would love to hear other people's opinions about it, just to make sure it's not all in my head!
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #734 of 1,252

Quote:
The 8740 tweak is a small taste of the 8741 module, they share a similar sound signature without that last bit of refinement. I really would love to hear other people's opinions about it, just to make sure it's not all in my head!
tongue.gif

Thanks Muad for the impression...the funny thing is, all of this stuff really is in our heads Out of curiosity what level of similarity does the modified 8740 have with the 8741 ?

Peete.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #735 of 1,252
My 8741 and TE module are going to arrive today. I'll hold off putting in the TE module until I have burned in the 8741.

Have been listening to the 8740 pretty much non-stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back