Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Aug 13, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #706 of 1,252

Quote:

I ordered the new DA8741 DAC module 3 days ago and today EMS has delivered to my doorstep. The PCB looked the same as old DA8740 DAC module and pin 26 and 27 of WM8741 DAC converter have been shorted to ground plane. I suspect WM8741 is pin-to-pin compatible with WM8740. My old DA8740 DAC module was ruined because few pins have been shorted together while trying to solder pin 26/27 to ground with a sharp-tip underpowered soldering iron (you need iron hot enough to do swift soldering for good precision).

Replaced existing DA1852 DAC module with new DAC module (don't miss out white plastic washer underneath before securing the module with screw) and then soldered provided wire between new DAC module and 3.3V supply line of DIR module (refer to Audio-GD FUN's website). Initial impression is deeper and heavier bass (but not loose) with somewhat improved dynamic range. I have to lower output level of subwoofer in order to compensate for increase in bass. There was cracking noise initially but subsided after half an hour of burn-in.

Even with tube buffer (with a pair of NOS RCA 6SN7 tubes) connected to pre-amp output of FUN, the sound is not warmer than when DA1852 DAC module was in place. True sound quality can only be assessed after perhaps 100 hours of burn-in. Right now configuration of my upgraded FUN DAC is exactly the same as version A of Sparrow (DIR9001/DA8741/ACSS/Diamond) other than power supplies. So if you only need an affordable standalone DAC, perhaps Sparrow is a better choice than FUN for its lower price and much smaller footprint.

How do you connect the subwoofer? Do you connect the rca output to the subwoofer input (and use it's crossover)?

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #707 of 1,252

Yes, pre-amp output of FUN DAC to input of tube buffer and tube buffer's RCA L/R outputs to RCA L/R inputs of subwoofer as well as Virtue One class-T power amplifier through RCA splitter (the tube buffer has only a set of RCA outputs). Though the Virtue One power amplifier come with dedicated LFE (Low Frequency Effect) output for subwoofer, but I find that the mixer and crossover network in Mordaunt-Short Aviano 7 subwoofer performs much better than the LFE output of the power amplifier.

Generally input of subwoofer can be connected through one of following outputs:
- Speaker outputs of power/integrated amplifier.
- Dedicated LFE output of power/integrated amplifier.
- Left/right line outputs of pre-amplifier/DAC.

Crossover network in subwoofer is bypassed whenever LFE output is used as crossover processing is already done in amplifier.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #708 of 1,252
Still waiting for my 8741 to arrive. The modded 8740 is serving me well for the moment.

I used a 30W soldering iron to short 26 and 27. I applied solder to the wire (to GND) first then soldered it between 26 and 27. Perfect.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #709 of 1,252

Quote:
Still waiting for my 8741 to arrive. The modded 8740 is serving me well for the moment.

I used a 30W soldering iron to short 26 and 27. I applied solder to the wire (to GND) first then soldered it between 26 and 27. Perfect.

Will be interesting to hear the comparison of the Modd'd 8740 vs 8741, keep us up to date!

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #710 of 1,252
Guys, did anyone purchase a unit within a week of the release of the new module?

I acquired a Sparrow just a week before they announced the WM8741 module, and am trying to negotiate a fair price for the module, as it seems fairly unreasonable that I should have to pay the full price, when they could have informed me of the upgrade when I ordered, and especially when I had asked if any new modules were due for release (I was told only in early 2011).

They've offered $20 (full price is $25), excluding shipping cost. Would you consider that a reasonable compromise? I personally feel that I shouldn't have to pay for shipping as well, but maybe I'm just tight.

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #711 of 1,252
I suggest you find someone in your country who is about to purchase something from audio-gd to receive your module if you trust him. Then he can ship it to you, you covering just domestic shipping (or no shipping if you can pick it up in person).

Another way is to just hold off buying the module if you plan to buy something else from audio-gd in the near future (good excuse to buy more stuff :p).

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #712 of 1,252

Quote:
What???? I paid 30 usd plus shipping... :frowning2:

Anyways, nice to hear the module sounds good!
biggrin.gif

I was quoted the same amount as well. Anyway, to my surprise Kingwa emailed me a few days ago saying it was a mistake as USD25 was quoted to a few customers, so to be fair he decided to refund USD5 to me the next day. Now surely that is an honest and great customer service!

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #713 of 1,252

Quote:
I was quoted the same amount as well. Anyway, to my surprise Kingwa emailed me a few days ago saying it was a mistake as USD25 was quoted to a few customers, so to be fair he decided to refund USD5 to me the next day. Now surely that is an honest and great customer service!

For some strange reason, the price for that module is not listed on the web page??  The price is blank.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #714 of 1,252

Quote:
I was quoted the same amount as well. Anyway, to my surprise Kingwa emailed me a few days ago saying it was a mistake as USD25 was quoted to a few customers, so to be fair he decided to refund USD5 to me the next day. Now surely that is an honest and great customer service

Same thing happened to me yesterday :)

Pretty damn awesome!!!

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #715 of 1,252

Quote:
Guys, did anyone purchase a unit within a week of the release of the new module?

I acquired a Sparrow just a week before they announced the WM8741 module, and am trying to negotiate a fair price for the module, as it seems fairly unreasonable that I should have to pay the full price, when they could have informed me of the upgrade when I ordered, and especially when I had asked if any new modules were due for release (I was told only in early 2011).

They've offered $20 (full price is $25), excluding shipping cost. Would you consider that a reasonable compromise? I personally feel that I shouldn't have to pay for shipping as well, but maybe I'm just tight.

So I told Audio-gd I didn't think I should have to pay the shipping charge, and was refunded without a word. $5 off retail - I suppose that's their idea of a reasonable compromise?

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #716 of 1,252
I don't know the exact circumstances for audio-gd to tell you no new modules until early 2011 and then release the new dac module so soon. Was the time interval between 2-3 weeks? It is possible that, when they told you no new modules, they had yet to realize the wm8741 would be a good dac module. Because of this possibility I can't blame audio-gd of anything with certainty, except of not wanting to lose money on shipping.

If that is the case, it's just unlucky timing, and I would just take the small discount offered and swallow the shipping cost, or try to find someone purchasing from audio-gd in your current country and combine shipping. Or just keep the ad1852, it sounds really good already in my opinion, set it to 4x oversampling for a less strident sound.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #717 of 1,252
I'm a little noob about amps and dacs... little question: could i use the fun as a DAC and an AMP at the same time? I mean, straight from the D2+/PC to the fun and then from the headphone out to the (future) ad2000?

It is gonna be my first dac/amp, would this be a good dac/amp for the ad2000?

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #718 of 1,252

Quote:
I don't know the exact circumstances for audio-gd to tell you no new modules until early 2011 and then release the new dac module so soon. Was the time interval between 2-3 weeks? It is possible that, when they told you no new modules, they had yet to realize the wm8741 would be a good dac module. Because of this possibility I can't blame audio-gd of anything with certainty, except of not wanting to lose money on shipping.

If that is the case, it's just unlucky timing, and I would just take the small discount offered and swallow the shipping cost, or try to find someone purchasing from audio-gd in your current country and combine shipping. Or just keep the ad1852, it sounds really good already in my opinion, set it to 4x oversampling for a less strident sound.

I made my order just a week before they put up the notification for the new module - there is no reason they couldn't have informed of the upgrade / the possibility of an impending upgrade.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #719 of 1,252
Nachash, yes, you can use both together by inputting digital (usb, coax/bnx, or optical) into it. Good idea since this way they will stay in current mode and avoid an I/V conversion between dac and amp.

Shampoo, what was the exact date they shipped out the sparrow to you? If you haven't tried asking audio-gd yet, maybe both of you would be satisfied with splitting the shipping cost?

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #720 of 1,252
A week or a month makes no difference. They can decide tomorrow that another module is better.

When dealing with a fast moving company expect to encounter bad timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back