Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Jun 3, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #556 of 1,252
I didn't notice much difference in the soft settings. I found if you switch the jumper on the dac module from the front(stock for mine) to the back, it takes the edge off the highs without affecting the details or sq.  Someone posted a picture of this on the previous page.... set it to the same as the picture.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #557 of 1,252
I had a similar experience to Zoltan99 and tongson where I found the FUN harsh to my ears on my set-up with a HD600 and Cardas cable, to the extent that I was thinking of getting the FET output module to try if it may help to mitigate the harshness I hear.

I tried switching the jumpers on the DA1852 module to 4 x Oversampling mode as well as the soft settings and it help a little bit with the sound.

At the same time, a comment from haloxt about the power in his area affecting DAC9mk3 and the PCM1704 chipset got me to check the entire chain in my electrical supply. I was even using different power cords to see if it may help with the sound issues I was having.

Two of the power cables actually had the polarity wired differently. I switched that and plugged them to a different power outlet from the one I was previously using. This has somehow help to alleviate the fizziness in the upper treble I was hearing and the harshness seems to have been minimize to the extent that I thought the FUN is now sounding much more enjoyable and the sound signature is now closer to neutral.

Because of this, I am wondering if I need to get the FET module now, pending muad's feedback.

As for changing the Optocoupler optical cable to a coax as suggested by Currawong, I am waiting for a M2Tech hiface from a friend to try it out on the Fun and see if it will make a further difference. I am not sure what kind of effect this might have since I will be using Canare coaxial cables made from LV61s (stranded copper) and L5CFB (single copper). The Coax input on the Fun was modded to a BNC canare connector.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #559 of 1,252

Quote:
I didn't notice much difference in the soft settings. I found if you switch the jumper on the dac module from the front(stock for mine) to the back, it takes the edge off the highs without affecting the details or sq.  Someone posted a picture of this on the previous page.... set it to the same as the picture.

Ive looked though 2x, can you link me? 

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #560 of 1,252
Oops sorry it was 2 pages ago.   The picture below is the same as I have it setup on my DA1852 module. For me it came stock on the lower jumper position and I moved it to the top jumper setting. Using the 4x oversampling really smoothed things out for me. Ive been messing with it again lately to see if I could squeeze some more SQ/details out of it but for me it's not listenable. Worth a shot.... good luck!

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #561 of 1,252
FUN now has 24bit/96Khz USB input using a TE7022 as the default USB module for Version A.  Just read on the Audio-Gd FUN page on Kingwa's site.
confused_face_2.gif

Those of us who got the earlier models are stuck with 16bit/48Khz USB input
mad.gif
. Wonder if there's an upgrade for us. And I recently ordered an M2Tech Hiface just so I can use them from my MacBook Pro!

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #562 of 1,252
Yeah also saw it from the Product page. We'd have to buy ($30) the USB module if want ours upgraded? Bummer :frowning2:

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #563 of 1,252

Quote:
FUN now has 24bit/96Khz USB input using a TE7022 as the default USB module for Version A.  Just read on the Audio-Gd FUN page on Kingwa's site.
confused_face_2.gif

Those of us who got the earlier models are stuck with 16bit/48Khz USB input
mad.gif
. Wonder if there's an upgrade for us. And I recently ordered an M2Tech Hiface just so I can use them from my MacBook Pro!

The whole point of the FUN was that it could be upgraded later by adding new modules down the road without having to buy a whole new unit. I have just contacted Kingwa this morning (to ask questions about their power filters) and he told me that the 24/96 usb module can be acquired for $30.

I believe that the hiface + Coax + DIR9001 is still a better solution than going straight from usb to the FUN because of the galvanic isolation and the jitter reduction provided by the Hiface/coax input. So it probably not a total loss that you got the hiface.

Quote:
Yeah also saw it from the Product page. We'd have to buy ($30) the USB module if want ours upgraded? Bummer :frowning2:

I believe that $30 is cheap for such an evolution path. The owners of the higher end DACs (dac19, Ref5) don't have that flexibility 
wink_face.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #564 of 1,252

Quote:
I believe that $30 is cheap for such an evolution path. The owners of the higher end DACs (dac19, Ref5) don't have that flexibility 
wink_face.gif

Ah really, DAC19 and REF5 doesn't have upgradeable USB modules.

If you get one for the FUN please let us know if you notice any audible improvements or differences when playing standard 16/44 audio CD / files. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #565 of 1,252
*wrong thread*

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #566 of 1,252
i can not wait for you guys compare Hiface vs TE7022 Modules 
but if you buy now a DAC19 and REF5 there are now with the upgrade version i am sure if you got little soldering skils its also easy to replace that on those two higher divice ??

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #568 of 1,252
Just curious, has anyone tried the Fun with AKG K701's? Does the amp do the phones justice? Im quite impressed with the detail of the MS-1 but i don't fin them to be very level. I think for a little bit more I could do better.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #569 of 1,252
You'll probably find the answer in the previous pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back