Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Apr 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #466 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by avocado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems like a great deal!! Was considering going for the Sparrow, but this might have to be the choice.... Then again, the Sparrow is at the very top of my budget (not that this stops me - the 'budget' for my first headphone purchase was $40-50, ended up something $200...oops)

Should I go for this or just hope that the Sparrow is good at the lower price point?

FUN looks like a better choice if the footprint works for you. The real advantage of the Sparrow is how small it is. IMO at least. I like the Sparrow's footprint for certain applications.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #467 of 1,252
Audio-gd FUN + ultrasone PRO 900=???
Thoughts?

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #468 of 1,252
What are your thoughts of the pro 900 out of your current source, too bassy, weak, sterile, etc? What mods have you done and would you do any mods if you haven't already? Imo what makes the pro 900 sing is a very neutral dac+amp otherwise you get fatigued from the repetitive coloration, and if you need it warmer, go with Kees cotton mod to dampen the cups. If pro 900 is too warm, I can advise some other mods, but few people should think it's too warm.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #470 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your thoughts of the pro 900 out of your current source, too bassy, weak, sterile, etc? What mods have you done and would you do any mods if you haven't already? Imo what makes the pro 900 sing is a very neutral dac+amp otherwise you get fatigued from the repetitive coloration, and if you need it warmer, go with Kees cotton mod to dampen the cups. If pro 900 is too warm, I can advise some other mods, but few people should think it's too warm.

I only have sennheiser ie8 now and looking for a good dac for them(have a bad soundcard in my computer),you can use FUN as a dac if i have understand it right?!
smily_headphones1.gif

im gonna buy a pair of PRO 900 in 3-4weeks and wonder if audio-gd FUN is a good combination with them
smily_headphones1.gif
So i dont have to buy a new amp directly!
(English isnt my native language!)

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #471 of 1,252
Yes, the FUN is a DAC+amp combo.

Pro 900 and FUN should be good together except the bass might be too strong without some sort of modding, going by my experience of compass+neutral lm4562 opamp and compass+moon hdam (earth hdam+pro900 is a bad combination). I suggest you go ACSS and no special sound signature modules because the pro 900 really shines in neutral sound and details. And do not get the pro 900 unless you like a lot of bass, or you're willing to open the cups and do Kees' cotton mod. They're bulky headphones and have a diffuse sound many people dislike. So if possible you should demo an ultrasone headphone before buying.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #472 of 1,252
okey nice!

Do you know the difference between the A-version and the basic version?
Is it worth the difference in price between them?
smily_headphones1.gif
(190usd vs 330usd)

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #473 of 1,252
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okey nice!

Do you know the difference between the A-version and the basic version?
Is it worth the difference in price between them?
smily_headphones1.gif
(190usd vs 330usd)

The $330 uses better parts, and better modules. Read This, and then read it once again so you can understand all that information because it answers basically everything you want to know about it (in not so perfect English).

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #474 of 1,252
okey but is it worth the difference in price if you look at the sound quality? (if someone have listen to the cheaper FUN)

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #475 of 1,252
I finally got my FUN yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed. Resolution is great and dynamics are absolutely awesome. And it definitely has enlarged the soundstage of my MS-1. And so far I have only tried the usb connection. I think my MS-1 has finally reached its limits. Guess I need to start planning on headphone upgrade. Good job Audio-Gd.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #476 of 1,252
I asked Kingwa about the sound quality difference and the answer was:

Quote:

The version A sound flavors is same with the basic version.

The sound level slight different between them if applied the stock calbes.If for a newbie, maybe he can't easy to hear the different between two.

If match a good power cable or digital cable, good source, and owner is a old hifi fans, maybe can hear the different, the version A is slight smooth and slight clear.

The basic version even though applied lower parts than the version A, but the parts already better than other brands gears in the same price rang.

Kingwa

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #477 of 1,252
Quote:

okey but is it worth the difference in price if you look at the sound quality? (if someone have listen to the cheaper FUN)

FUN ver A is relatively new, and FUN basic is even newer. I don't know anybody but KW that has both!

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #478 of 1,252
Quote:

I asked Kingwa about the sound quality difference and the answer was:

For me there are too many "maybe's". I think both version sounds very similar.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #479 of 1,252
I think price difference mainly comes from western and Japanese parts inport costs. Basic version looks very close to version A. Still, placebo effect works. If you buy a basic version, you probably can't get full satisfaction. That is the most problem in this wallet enemy hobby, ''thinking of something better there and you can reach a little push''.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #480 of 1,252
Please don't think I want to blame their doings. I own a Fun Version A and I'm really happy with them and I would rebuy the Fun without any doubts because audio-gd creates great hifi stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back