Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Oct 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #586 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum
An existing audio rule of thumb says it best: "Don't buy a system to make your headphones sound good. Buy a headphone that makes your system sound good."

Let me put my spin on that, which is what used my myself:

once you decide the type of music you'd listen to the most, find the best phone that matches than genre. then you can get an amp to build your system around that hp

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #587 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwell2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Charles,

I agree that an impedance adapter is one way of dealing with the hiss with low impedance phones. However, I'm confused as to how it is false to assert that Currawong's experience supports the theory that the hiss is caused somewhere else in the system. I'm not saying that it proves anything beyond any doubt, but the fact that Currawong's MKV had hiss in one of his setups, and did not have hiss in another, indicates that the presence of a hiss is determined by factors beyond the amp itself. Can you explain the flaw in this logic? (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume I did make a mistake somewhere in my logic, but I'm not seeing it right now).

One other question...have you tried methods other than impedance adapters to eliminate the hiss you were experiencing? If not, it's only fair to acknowledge the possibility that the problem could be somewhere else in your system, and not with the MKV itself. That is not to say that I expect you to try anything beyond impedance adapters if you don't want. If you derive enjoyment from your system as is, that's the most important thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Currawong experience may be different and I could be wrong but I have been following this thread since the start. I have tried 2 power cord with ferrite core, no go. I removed the ground pin on my power cord, hiss went away, I did not like having no ground pin on the power cord so I went with the impedance adapter. Technically speaking I cannot explain further more, so I guess there's a grounding loop issue. There is also a device called HumX that is reported to fix the issue.

I just stated my findings and if you read the whole thread you will find a pattern, related to the hiss, not related to the system but by the amplifier itself. Also not everyone hear the same and not everyone has low impedance headphones so results may vary.

I am not trying to make a debate, just my 2 cents. Just want to make potential buyers aware of it as I would have liked to have someone saying so prior my purchase.

Charles

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #588 of 740
Throwing too many things into the mix to fix an issue that should not be there in the first place is just the wrong approach, as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong - I loved the MKV, and miss it at times. I never had the hissing issue with low impedance phones, but it seems that enough people have. The design is awesome, the value is strong, the amp sounds great, it just could do with a bit of a redesign from Little Dot to fix the problem at the source and remedy the "slapping Band-Aids" approach. It's still a fantastic amp for the money for those that don't have the problems listed...there's got to be an impedance sweet spot somewhere between 60-150 ohms or so...

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #589 of 740
I've never had any hiss with my MKV, I had humming noise with my K701 that turned out to be ground-loop related. It was fixed using an RCA-type isolator from Radio Shack ( about $8 ) between the MKV and and Zero dac. I wasn't thrilled about throwing the isolator into the mix because a lot of people say it degrades SQ, but I honestly can't hear anything missing when I switch the adapter in and out ( the hum was mostly only noticable during quiet passages ). I'm thinking about adding one of the plug-style isolators for the wall outlet instead, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the money. Either way, the MKV is a great sounding amp and I will hold on to it indefinitely. It has a warm sound for a SS, and at the same time remains clear and detailed. I can't wait to add some Senns to my meager collection for some variety, I'm just not sure which ones yet... 650? That reminds me, I'm thinking of selling my Marshall JCM-800 Super Lead with a Trace Elliot 4x12 Celestion Cab.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #590 of 740
Fonz, if you want to go with Senns, I recommend a tube amp, especially if you go higher end, with HD600/650. My 650's sounded great with the MKV, until I heard them on a tube amp and realized they were nowhere near their potential on the MKV. The LD amp is fantastic with Denon D2000's though...another flavor to consider. Also, the MKV looks great with the LD MKIII or IV sitting on top. If you go with those, they'll be a good match with the Senns, and the III can be used as a preamp driving the MKV. Bonus!

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #591 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currawong experience may be different and I could be wrong but I have been following this thread since the start. I have tried 2 power cord with ferrite core, no go. I removed the ground pin on my power cord, hiss went away, I did not like having no ground pin on the power cord so I went with the impedance adapter. Technically speaking I cannot explain further more, so I guess there's a grounding loop issue. There is also a device called HumX that is reported to fix the issue.

I just stated my findings and if you read the whole thread you will find a pattern, related to the hiss, not related to the system but by the amplifier itself. Also not everyone hear the same and not everyone has low impedance headphones so results may vary.

I am not trying to make a debate, just my 2 cents. Just want to make potential buyers aware of it as I would have liked to have someone saying so prior my purchase.

Charles

Agreed. The only point I was trying to make is that the reality of the hiss is not that if one experiences it, the only way to get rid of it is to increase impedance via an adapter or higher impedance phones. i.e. it's not an intrinsic property of the amp that cannot be dealt with through a little investigation into one's system. Perhaps the MKV is simply more prone to ground loop issues than other amps. When I get back to my apartment at the end of the week I will try removing the ground via a "cheater plug." If this removes the hiss, I'll pick up a HumX and be done with it.

I also agree that this issue probably should not exist in the first place, but, given the high value to cost ratio, I'm ok with it.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #592 of 740
Hey, what do you guys suppose is a safe 'max' listening level for the MKV with K701s?

I ask because I let my buddy try my system for a while, and when I came back he had the volume at 11:30... This is waaaayyy too loud for my ears, and I'm wondering if it could have damaged my K701s...

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #593 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by djembeplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, what do you guys suppose is a safe 'max' listening level for the MKV with K701s?

I ask because I let my buddy try my system for a while, and when I came back he had the volume at 11:30... This is waaaayyy too loud for my ears, and I'm wondering if it could have damaged my K701s...

Hi,

I don't think any damage has been done, or you would have noticed right away, the first time you put them on after your friend.
smily_headphones1.gif

Depending on the song, I've had mine up to the 11:30 level with my HD-650's for a very short time, and there was no distortion or other damaging traits, just way too loud for my ears. I think you'll be ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #596 of 740
Quote:

Do you still have your 2 ears to test your 701 and see if they're still ok?

Seriously, there's no "safe" volumes. It's all depending on recording and its distortions. Theoretically, you can fry your cans even at 9 hour volume mark with bad enough recording. In reality it's almost impossible at normal conditions, especially with very ineffecient k701. 11:30 is nowhere near "too loud", it's just loud.

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #598 of 740
Thank you! I'm on an HD 650 too and your review helped me decide. And it was very detailed as well, newbie friendly too.

^^ I just read the part about damaging your headphones. I use my LD MT amp at 90 percent of the total volume. Of course my winamp or iPod is at a sane volume level so that my ears don't go ding...

Am I damaging my headphones by feeding them extra power from the amp or something? Volume levels are comfy for my ears and definitely not loud. Sorry if this sounds stoopid, I honestly do not know anything about this.

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #600 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you! I'm on an HD 650 too and your review helped me decide. And it was very detailed as well, newbie friendly too.

^^ I just read the part about damaging your headphones. I use my LD MT amp at 90 percent of the total volume. Of course my winamp or iPod is at a sane volume level so that my ears don't go ding...

Am I damaging my headphones by feeding them extra power from the amp or something? Volume levels are comfy for my ears and definitely not loud. Sorry if this sounds stoopid, I honestly do not know anything about this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Is this amp worth it's price over Corda Arietta? I have DT770's but later I'll get Denons.

Hey V,
I don't think you are damaging anything, as long as moderation is observed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Clok,
Owners here will tell you the MKV is more than worth it's price, so that part is a no brainer. Specifically up against the Corda is an unknown for me, but maybe others could chime in. The DT770's should be fine, and the Denon's will be dependent upon their impedance. This amp loves higher numbers the most.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back