Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Aug 21, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #558 of 740
Hissing, you say? I have a pair of Grado 325i... I am guessing this fine sounding product is not for them? I am looking into purchasing this for a pair of HD 600, though.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #559 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using 32 ohm Grado RS1s and SR225s with the MKV and hear absolutely no hiss, for those interested.

nevermind my previous post; apparently i cannot read...

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #560 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what ohms rating your Grado's have, but if it is at or under 32 ohms, you might want to do one of two things. One, would be to purchase impedance adapters, to raise the ohms total up to/above 128 ohms (with MKV) or find another amp that is built specifically for handling lower impedances.

Many SS headphone amps of quality, that are built to handle ohms as high as 600 ohms, will show hiss and/or grounding noise at impedances below 32 ohms. It's not a measure of their quality, it is a characteristic of their design. If you could hear one of these amps with a pair of 250 or 300 ohm headphones, it would put things into perspective very quickly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. I'm running my Denon AH-2000 through a Little Dot MKV and at 25 ohm this might explain the hiss hum issue I'm getting.

On an interesting note"
- I don't get the problem when I run my Creative Zen as my source.
- When I run my Laptop through my Paradisea+ as the source the issue kicks in big time.
- However, there's obviously a grounding issue because when I put electrical tape on the Little Dot's ground the issue disppears even with the Paradisea+.

In the end when it works.... it sounds great!

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #561 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by justadollar66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- However, there's obviously a grounding issue because when I put electrical tape on the Little Dot's ground the issue disppears even with the Paradisea+.

How did you do that? Where is it you put the electrical tape?

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #562 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by justadollar66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I'm running my Denon AH-2000 through a Little Dot MKV and at 25 ohm this might explain the hiss hum issue I'm getting.

On an interesting note"
- I don't get the problem when I run my Creative Zen as my source.
- When I run my Laptop through my Paradisea+ as the source the issue kicks in big time.

Sounds like a ground loop problem and interference from other sources could be making it worse. The Zune shouldn't give any noise at all, and laptops are notorious for being noisy. On my notebook (using it as a source), I had to turn off the wireless card, due to noise from it, and I ran an extra CAT6 line to it's internal network card for connectivity, which has no noise issues.

I would recommend starting by plugging in all of your audio equipment into the same power outlet via a surge protector or other such device. If this clears up the majority of the noise, then look for devices that are broadcasting nearby, like a net card or router, cell phones or wireless phones. Also, other electronic devices like old receivers and amps or network storage devices can cause additional noise. After eliminating them as possibles, and if the noise is still present, you may need the impedance adapters to end the noise for good. Some have found out that they need noise suppressors on their power cords to help with this situation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do the cheapest methods first. Spend some time exploring the possibilities and eliminating what you can. Let us know what you find out!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #563 of 740
According to David, "EBAY and Microsoft are running a promotion right now for 20% rebate on any Buy It Now EBAY listing which would translate into the Little Dot MK V being around $231 plus $45 shipping. The cash-back is not immediate (60 days) however".
Just throwin it out there
beyersmile.png

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #564 of 740
Did you finally get one Booz?

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #565 of 740
Almost did...
biggrin.gif
But bought a KICAS Caliente before I got wind of the deal. Looks like I'm eatin Costco mac and cheese for the next week. Does anyone know how they compare?
o2smile.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #566 of 740
Costco mac and cheese isn't quite as good as Kraft, but compares favorably to Annie's Cheesy Bunnies.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #568 of 740
A little bloated - too much pasta, not enough cheese. Kraft has the perfect balance of pasta to cheese, and well...gotta love tubes.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #569 of 740
Hey all, thought I'd check in and say I just received my MK V. I ordered it on Sunday and it got here Friday morning! Unbelievably fast. I just got it set up so I haven't had time to listen much, but one nice touch is that David included a 120 Ohm impedance adapter with amp.

Straight out of the amp my 32 Ohm SR225's have a quite noticeable amount of background noise, but are silenced with the impedance adapter. My 120 Ohm HD515's have a slight amount of noise, and are also silenced with the adapter. Overall I'm very pleased so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back