Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Sep 10, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #121 of 358
Sep 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #122 of 358
The jury is still out for me. I need to let it burn in and then do some critical listening. Up until an hour ago I would have placed it between a hardened turd and a paper weight, lol.

For me as well. I'm willing to put up with intallation ideosyncracies if the end results are positive. I'm butning it in for comparison with my UpTone Audio USB Regen and in combination with the USB Regen.

I'm glad you got it going, Stuart. :D

Is this essentially the same as the Schiit USB Decrapifier?

They perform different roles. Audioquest's FAQ page actually recommends using the Jitterbug in combination with the Schiit Wyrd, in some circumstances. See Michael Lavorgna's excellent comparison review:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-accessory-roundup-uptone-audio-usb-regen-audioquest-jitterbug-schiit-wyrd

Mike

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #123 of 358
plz not lavorgna. the guy makes a living of writing about any silly controversies he can think of, in the most out of context ways he can muster to try and make it sensational.
I would never advise anybody to read that blog seriously.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #124 of 358
  plz not lavorgna. the guy makes a living of writing about any silly controversies he can think of, in the most out of context ways he can muster to try and make it sensational.
I would never advise anybody to read that blog seriously.

Agreed. There has to be a balance between "enjoying the hobby" and calling out snake oil; at least, demanding something remotely objective.

This article was one thing, but the previously referenced one from JA really pushed me over the edge: saying that he can't measure any differences, but recommends the product because he can hear the difference. And, this is a guy that has access to TOTL analytical equipment and has the skills to use it. Lavorgna is a complete shill.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #125 of 358
For me as well. I'm willing to put up with intallation ideosyncracies if the end results are positive. I'm butning it in for comparison with my UpTone Audio USB Regen and in combination with the USB Regen.

I'm glad you got it going, Stuart. :D

Mike, I just read your comments over on computeraudiophile and we're right on the same page. My preliminary impressions are that the jitterbug makes the whole presentation darker/warmer than before and it sounds an awful lot like the very top end treble has been shelved off. I will have to do more serious listening to determine whether I'm really losing information up there. The bug is still acting like a petulant child in my system, causing frequent dropouts when I use the dual lead Audience USB cable. When it's working, I find the sound to be full bodied and relaxed...rather pleasant, but again, the air and sense of the acoustic environment has apparently diminished.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #127 of 358
The Schitt claims it will do nothing whilst the jitterbug claims it will do something.
You be the judge.

What if they both do nothing to me?
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #128 of 358
If audio enthusiasts ruled the world:

1. All computers would be fan-less.
  2. All hard drives would be solid state.
  3. USB implementation would be a priority.

The JitterBug and Wyrd should do nothing 
cool.gif

But on a more realistic note, I am thinking of upgrading my MacBook from 2008 (vintage) to something more modern. Is there a site or a thread that specifically talks about the voltage, noise characteristics, etc. of the modern Mac computers? I'd be more inclined to get a Pro over an Air or plain MacBook, if I could be assured of a more stable, clean USB output. Otherwise I'd get the plain MacBook simply to get rid of the fan 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #129 of 358
Mike, I just read your comments over on computeraudiophile and we're right on the same page. My preliminary impressions are that the jitterbug makes the whole presentation darker/warmer than before and it sounds an awful lot like the very top end treble has been shelved off. I will have to do more serious listening to determine whether I'm really losing information up there. The bug is still acting like a petulant child in my system, causing frequent dropouts when I use the dual lead Audience USB cable. When it's working, I find the sound to be full bodied and relaxed...rather pleasant, but again, the air and sense of the acoustic environment has apparently diminished.

Hi Stuart,

I'm glad you saw what I wrote at computeraudiophile - and that you concur.  
smile.gif

I was headed here this morning to cross-post my impressions.  

Quoting:  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/index65.html#post464014

A quick note regarding the Audioquest Jitterbug in combination with the USB Regen:

My strongest initial impression, after only 12 hours of burn-in, after inserting the Audiquest Jitterbug into my chain...

WAVs on SD card > Foobar2000 > Win7 laptop > Audioquest Jitterbug > 0.7m Supra USB 2.0 cable > USBRegen (battery-powered) > adapter > Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII NOS DAC > Anti-Cables RCA interconnects > Metrum Acoustics Aurix headphone amp on 0 dB gain setting > Sennhesier HD 800

... is that I'm hearing a darker treble with my HD800 - from about 10kHz and higher, but what the Jitterbug has removed is stuff I want to keep! 

There's more blackness around everything, but the Jitterbug really seems to be throwing the baby out with the bath water, causing a distinct loss of air and openness, and again - this is content I consider to be part of the original sampling, not "noise" I would want to eliminate. 

I doubt I would hear this with my Audeze LCD-2 (which is not known for its treble response or resolution), but I haven't tested them with the Jitterbug > USB Regen pairing, yet.

Note: I've also discovered that the Jitterbug will not work with my use of the iPad 3 > CCK as a source. (Insufficient power to the Jitterbug, I suspect.)

More later.

Mike

I have to add, however, that after 48 hours of burn-in, I think it's not as bad at shelving the highs as it was just 12 hours in.  

Even at it worst it wasn't horrible, but when using my HD800 rig, it doesn't improve anything - it only degrades the listening experience by sucking the air out of the highest treble region.  

I've tried it with my LCD-2, which itself is known for having shelved highs and less than stellar resolution - I can say that I don't hear any difference there, at all.

So, as some others have just commented in this thread, it seems the Jitterbug isn't necessary if you have a decently noise-free source.  

My cleanest source, with the lowest noise floor, is my iPad 3 > CCK. Given how the Jitterbug is trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing when I use my laptop as a source, I would consider it to have even less of a role to play with my iPad 3.   So, I've decided to not even bother trying a USB Y-cable and a 5V LPS to see if I can jump-start the Jitterbug on the iPad 3 - where it is otherwise incompatible.

Quoting Michael Lavorgna's earlier Jitterbug review, at http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-data-power-noise-filter#2Jy2cEK87ADvL98F.99 

What we can see is a multi-layered printed circuit board with some resistors, capacitors, inductors, and chokes.

I did ask for some further information and received this reply from AQ:
We had three primary design goals for JitterBug:
  • Filter the noise on the VBUS between the host and the associated USB device
  • Improve the data flow between the host and the associated USB device
  • Shield the associated USB device from EMI, RFI, and other high-frequency noise
The first two goals are achieved through JitterBug’s discrete noise-dissipation circuits. The third goal is achieved by having designed JitterBug to be placed at the host (rather than at the DAC or destination), thereby directing noise back into the computer rather than allowing it into the associated USB device.

Re-reading this, I have to say two things:

1) Given how the Jitterbug (doesn't) sound with my HD800, I have to give Audioquest a thumb's up for how transparent it is! Seriously. So far as I can tell, it's extremely benign, overall. And that's a good thing.

2) It might actually be filtering some small amount of noise from my laptop's VBUS, and improving data flow with my USB Regen / DAC, and shielding the USB Regen / DAC from EMI, RFI, and other high-frequency noise. I can tell it's up to something or I wouldn't hear any difference at all. That's pitiful, but true. 
tongue.gif

Thus, I'm beginning to cut it some slack and will consider keeping it for use on my laptop, to darken my most sibilant recordings, reducing potential HD800 fatigue, if nothing else, but in terms of bang-for-the-buck, it feels like a near total loss at the moment - like the air bags in my car - I just don't need them (until I need them).

Mike

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #130 of 358
  If audio enthusiasts ruled the world:

1. All computers would be fan-less.
  2. All hard drives would be solid state.
  3. USB implementation would be a priority.

The JitterBug and Wyrd should do nothing 
cool.gif

But on a more realistic note, I am thinking of upgrading my MacBook from 2008 (vintage) to something more modern. Is there a site or a thread that specifically talks about the voltage, noise characteristics, etc. of the modern Mac computers? I'd be more inclined to get a Pro over an Air or plain MacBook, if I could be assured of a more stable, clean USB output. Otherwise I'd get the plain MacBook simply to get rid of the fan 
biggrin.gif

Hi shldaze,

The Music Servers Forum at computeraudiophile has many more threads discussing the use of a Mac Mini as a music server, but I highly recommend you check them out.  

I don't know if this link will work for you, but I did an Advanced Search for Music Server Forum threads having "macbook" in the title:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/search.php?searchid=3401844

Mike

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #131 of 358

Hi shldaze,

The Music Servers Forum at computeraudiophile has many more threads discussing the use of a Mac Mini as a music server, but I highly recommend you check them out.  

I don't know if this link will work for you, but I did an Advanced Search for Music Server Forum threads having "macbook" in the title:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/search.php?searchid=3401844

Mike

Thanks!
I was just reading your previous post and will check out more at the link.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #132 of 358
I can literally hear no improvements with the Jitterbug. I am using a DAC with external power though so maybe it only works with USB powered DACs? Either way I'm returning it. Well at least now I can say I have tried it.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #133 of 358
  I can literally hear no improvements with the Jitterbug. I am using a DAC with external power though so maybe it only works with USB powered DACs? Either way I'm returning it. Well at least now I can say I have tried it.

You apparently have a low-noise source. Congrats!  

Your decision to return the Jitterbug has me on the fence again. Thanks for the encouragement. Fifty bucks is fifty bucks.  
tongue.gif

Mike

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #134 of 358

You apparently have a low-noise source. Congrats!  

Your decision to return the Jitterbug has me on the fence again. Thanks for the encouragement. Fifty bucks is fifty bucks.  
tongue.gif

Mike

English is not my native language, can you try and rephrase it so I can better understand? 
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #135 of 358

English is not my native language, can you try and rephrase it so I can better understand? 
smile.gif

OK  
biggrin.gif

You do not need the Jitterbug.

I am happy for you.

I am thinking about returning my Jitterbug, too.

$50 is a lot of money.

Thank you!

Mike

("on the fence" = still trying to decide which way to go)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back