Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Aug 26, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #91 of 358

Wow... every audiophile on earth should listen to that interview. He's a real salesman.
Head-Fi'ers on this thread should ensure they have their Jitterbugs plugged in while they watch and listen to Bill tell it like it is... 
popcorn.gif

I've already unplugged mine, but I do plan to bring it for show-and-tell to a headphone meet
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #92 of 358

running out of space between my DAC and laptop now 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I just got two jitterbugs so no in-depth impressions, but I noticed they lowered the noise floor. 

My Magnepans used to have somewhat greyish background.
Now with Uptone regen & AQ jitterbugs, my system has blacker background (deeper sound-stage).

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #94 of 358

You are grossly misquoting the video for which you provided a link.   LOL

I dunno, watch the video, make your own decisions about it. Do you think he doesn't believe what he is saying or something?

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #95 of 358
Mediahound, 

I dunno, watch the video, make your own decisions about it. Do you think he doesn't believe what he is saying or something?

Previously, you wrote...

He believes even if the product makes your sound worse, it's a good thing:

There is no indication in the video that he believes this.

This is what he actually said, starting at 4m 28s into the video:

Sometimes people buy products that are not as good as what they had before, especially with power filters -most power filters don't sound as good as plugging straight into the wall. Some are better and it does depend on how bad the current is from the wall.  

Some power filters are like a bandage. If you have a wound, a bandage is a good thing. If you don't have a wound, a bandage is a bad thing.

Uhh, so... A lot of power filters make the sound worse, but it makes a change. So, if the attitude is "change is good," then yes, somebody might put in this thing that makes it sound worse, but in that moment, the change is the permission to stay up all night, rediscovering your music, because the relationship is new. Then, a year later, they take out the filter and they say, "Oh, how could I ever live with that?"

In my opinion, he's making an excellent point.

He's certainly not saying that "he believes even if the product makes your sound worse, it's a good thing."

Mike

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #96 of 358

He's certainly not saying that "he believes even if the product makes your sound worse, it's a good thing."

Mike

"somebody might put in this thing that makes it sound worse, but in that moment, the change is the permission to stay up all night, rediscovering your music, because the relationship is new. Then, a year later, they take out the filter and they say, "Oh, how could I ever live with that?""

This is pretty much what his entire business is based on. I'm pretty sure he believes this is to be true or he would not have said it. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #97 of 358

Mike

"somebody might put in this thing that makes it sound worse, but in that moment, the change is the permission to stay up all night, rediscovering your music, because the relationship is new. Then, a year later, they take out the filter and they say, "Oh, how could I ever live with that?""

This is pretty much what his entire business is based on. I'm pretty sure he believes this is to be true or he would not have said it. 

to me the very reason not to buy any of those magic boxes is very much what he said about bandage. if you have no problem it will make things worse. and if there is a problem, people should focus on finding out what it is and change the device that causes it, adding a bandage is never the answer.

that said and me clearly disliking all those stuff pretending to improve sound disregarding what it is plugged into(as if there were cheap universal solutions to improve sound that aren't already in all devices...), what you quoted is just him saying that people's bias can make them happy even when they ruin their sound. he's just stating how things are. and while I'm always trying to get rid of my own biases, it is true that any idea that sound has changed is enough for us to spend the night paying attention to changes and noticing stuff in the music we never noticed before. the difference is us and our mindset, not the sound, but it can indeed be a happy experience. the "I rediscovered my music" thing.^_^
can't count all the times I set up an EQ, listen to it all night thinking I found the perfect sound, feeling thrilled about it. then next day I wake up, play music and want to puke from how bad my EQ really is ^_^. so I can only agree with him on that part of people.
as a business, he couldn't ignore such a fact and not try to make money of it. he's not to blame at all, it's his job.
now I still want to know how a usb crap is supposed to makes the sound warmer without dsp? because that is a false claim or I really missed something.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #98 of 358

Fine, but are you pretty sure, "he believes even if the product makes your sound worse, it's a good thing?"

:p

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #99 of 358
Fine, but are you pretty sure, "he believes even if the product makes your sound worse, it's a good thing?"

tongue.gif

Yes, that's exactly what he is saying. IE., put in something that makes your sound worse, and you will enjoy the change and stay up all night listening. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #100 of 358
Yes, that's exactly what he is saying. IE., put in something that makes your sound worse, and you will enjoy the change and stay up all night listening. 

OK, so going on the audio and a transcript of the audio, you're standing by your original statement that "he believes even if the product makes your sound worse, it's a good thing."

I'm done.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #101 of 358
This thread at AA--

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=150696

--reports JB measurements taken by HiFi News (no link to test/article cited in the AA post).

There is also some interesting commentary (to me) from AQ and Gordon Rankin regarding design credits.

Measurements taken (per the post) in bold text below: 

With a 'standard' 2m usb cable in their rig, rise time was reduced from 22 to 15 nS, with jitter being reduced on the Dragonfly from 220 to 165 pS. Before and after, the square shapes showed the effects of band limiting due to filtration.

The jitter spectra also showed the differences before and after.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #102 of 358
I just PM'ed Twister but I figure I'd ask here as well. How the heck do I get Jitterbug working if my laptop doesn't even recognize the device.
I have to say I have a perfectly dead silent, black background when using Jitterbug for the moment though
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #103 of 358
  I just PM'ed Twister but I figure I'd ask here as well. How the heck do I get Jitterbug working if my laptop doesn't even recognize the device.
I have to say I have a perfectly dead silent, black background when using Jitterbug for the moment though
rolleyes.gif

By 'device' do you mean the Jitterbug itself? I don't know the details but perhaps it's transparent and not supposed to be recognized as a device. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #105 of 358
rolleyes.gif

It's pass-through, like a Schitt Wyrd or an iFi iUSBPower. The DAC on the other end is what your laptop "sees".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back