Review of Audioquest JitterBug - USB Data & Power Noise Filter.
Sep 13, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #136 of 358
  I can literally hear no improvements with the Jitterbug. I am using a DAC with external power though so maybe it only works with USB powered DACs? Either way I'm returning it. Well at least now I can say I have tried it.

So indeed you have good usb ports... :wink: You where insecure about it, not long ago. What pc model are you using? Maybie i dont need one of these filters either. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #137 of 358
Interesting that Audioquest recommends using the Schiit Wyrd in conjunction with the Jitterbug. I've read a review that also says the combo is  better than each just by itself. 

"One last piece of advice: There is a burgeoning market for high-performance USB hubs. Schiit Audio makes an active USB hub called the WYRD. We have found that the WYRD offers sonic results above and beyond that of the ordinary USB hub."

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #138 of 358
  Interesting that Audioquest recommends using the Schiit Wyrd in conjunction with the Jitterbug. I've read a review that also says the combo is  better than each just by itself. 

Why would that be?

If the Wyrd (I have one) is all about replacing the 5v power line with linear, regulated power, what would the Jitterbug (I've ordered one) and its power filtering add to that?

I am going to try this, to satisfy the tinkerer in me, but I'm extremely skeptical... 

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #139 of 358

Why would that be?

If the Wyrd (I have one) is all about replacing the 5v power line with linear, regulated power, what would the Jitterbug (I've ordered one) and its power filtering add to that?

I am going to try this, to satisfy the tinkerer in me, but I'm extremely skeptical... 

I have no idea really . Maybe the Jitterbug is a filter and the wyrd is a cleaner so perhaps they do different things and work well together. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #140 of 358
Audioquest told Michael Lavorgna that the Jitterbug was designed to do the following:

Quoting  http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-data-power-noise-filter#2Jy2cEK87ADvL98F.99 

I did ask for some further information and received this reply from AQ:
We had three primary design goals for JitterBug:
  • Filter the noise on the VBUS between the host and the associated USB device
  • Improve the data flow between the host and the associated USB device
  • Shield the associated USB device from EMI, RFI, and other high-frequency noise

The first two goals are achieved through JitterBug’s discrete noise-dissipation circuits. The third goal is achieved by having designed JitterBug to be placed at the host (rather than at the DAC or destination), thereby directing noise back into the computer rather than allowing it into the associated USB device.

Schiit Audio says the Wyrd was designed to do the following:

Quoting http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

Simply put, it cleans up the USB connection to your DAC, repeating the packets with precision clocking and providing pure, clean 5V power from a 100% linear power supply.

So, yes, there does seem to be a lot of overlap, and yet...

Audioquest recommends the Wyrd as a solution for Jitterbug owners who are having this problem, as discussed in the Jitterbug FAQ:

If your DAC doesn’t enumerate (visibly appear in the OS settings), or if you experience severe and obvious levels of distortion, adding an active USB hub will more than likely repair the issue. Active USB hubs have an active hub controller. This hub controller buffers and often reclocks the bi-directional communication between host (computer) and peripheral (DAC). This controller will rectify any communication issues that may be preventing your DAC from working with a JitterBug/computer combination. Here is an example of an excellent active USB hub: CLICK HERE.

On the surface, adding a USB hub may seem like a hassle, but it can also be seen as an additional opportunity to upgrade the overall performance of a computer-audio system. Many customers have reported that adding an active USB hub improved the sound of their system, with the only drawback being the need for an additional USB cable. In the event that you need to add a hub, be sure to add a USB cable that is identical to the one already in your system, thus ensuring signal continuity and optimal performance. Also keep in mind that, in general, for this particular application, shorter cables will offer better performance.

One last piece of advice: There is a burgeoning market for high-performance USB hubs. Schiit Audio makes an active USB hub called the WYRD. We have found that the WYRD offers sonic results above and beyond that of the ordinary USB hub. For more information on this product, CLICK HERE.

It's as if Audioquest only sees value in the Wyrd acting as an active USB hub.  

The larger point, however, is that Audioquest doesn't appear to be recommending the Wyrd for use with the Jitterbug, unless your DAC is failing to appear in the OS settings, where many active hubs might do the trick, but they find the Wyrd to be particularly good.

Mike

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #141 of 358

The larger point, however, is that Audioquest doesn't appear to be recommending the Wyrd for use with the Jitterbug, unless your DAC is failing to appear in the OS settings, where many active hubs might do the trick, but they find the Wyrd to be particularly good.

Mike

Actually,

"AudioQuest’s Steve Silberman, orchestrator of the JitterBug, told me in Berlin that he can no longer listen to his home system without Schiit’s Wyrd USB de-crapifier in the chain."

from: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/t-h-e-show-newport-2015-multi-bit-from-multi-schiit/

I'm assuming he probably also uses a Jitterbug but can't be certain of that. It is certain that he uses a Wyrd though. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #142 of 358
^^ That's helpful, Thanks!

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #143 of 358
Okay, so this is a pairing I've got to hear!
Is it JitterBug into Wyrd, or Wyrd into JitterBug. I want to make sure I get the optimal setup 
wink_face.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #144 of 358
  Okay, so this is a pairing I've got to hear!
Is it JitterBug into Wyrd, or Wyrd into JitterBug. I want to make sure I get the optimal setup 
wink_face.gif

I'm not endorsing this - just answering your question...  
smile.gif

USB Source > Wyrd > Jitterbug > DAC

And while you're experimenting...

USB Source > Wyrd > Jitterbug > USB Regen > DAC  
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #145 of 358
  Of note:

"AudioQuest’s Steve Silberman, orchestrator of the JitterBug, told me in Berlin that he can no longer listen to his home system without Schiit’s Wyrd USB de-crapifier in the chain."

from: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/t-h-e-show-newport-2015-multi-bit-from-multi-schiit/

Audioquest and Schiit should both put that on their FAQ pages.  (They seem to have a handshake going...)

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #146 of 358

I'm not endorsing this - just answering your question...  
smile.gif

USB Source > Wyrd > Jitterbug > DAC

And while you're experimenting...

USB Source > Wyrd > Jitterbug > USB Regen > DAC  
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately your suggestion is producing a much more listenable sound than straight from USB Source > Jitterbug > DAC. Perhaps my poor 2008 MacBook source was not providing enough "oomph" to deal with, well, whatever additional load the Jitterbug was placing on the digital pathway? I'll have to sit and stew on this sound for a few, perhaps try a few different DAC to see how each reacts. Hmm...

Jitterbug still sounds like just a frequency filter of some sort, to my ears. The clap sounds are less crisp.

EDIT: Nevermind - the second DAC refused to "boot". The lights on my Geek Out V2 never started. That is, not even trying to connect to my laptop, the Wyrd, which has two lights on the front indicating that USB is connected in and out. But with the GOv2, the second light did not show until I removed the Jitterbug. Jitterbug goes back into the closet.

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #147 of 358
Unfortunately your suggestion is producing a much more listenable sound than straight from USB Source > Jitterbug > DAC. Perhaps my poor 2008 MacBook source was not providing enough "oomph" to deal with, well, whatever additional load the Jitterbug was placing on the digital pathway? I'll have to sit and stew on this sound for a few, perhaps try a few different DAC to see how each reacts. Hmm...

Jitterbug still sounds like just a frequency filter of some sort, to my ears. The clap sounds are less crisp.

And mine keeps acting like the redheaded step child. Sometimes works, sometimes not at all. I got my Regen today and I was hoping that the jitterbug would settle down in combination with it.....nope, still a stinker.

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #148 of 358
And mine keeps acting like the redheaded step child. Sometimes works, sometimes not at all. I got my Regen today and I was hoping that the jitterbug would settle down in combination with it.....nope, still a stinker.

Yeah, I was in edit mode. Jitterbug failed on my 2nd DAC selection 
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #149 of 358

Hmm, that doesn't sound good if it's just filtering out information. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #150 of 358

EDIT: Nevermind - the second DAC refused to "boot". The lights on my Geek Out V2 never started. That is, not even trying to connect to my laptop, the Wyrd, which has two lights on the front indicating that USB is connected in and out. But with the GOv2, the second light did not show until I removed the Jitterbug. Jitterbug goes back into the closet.

Actually you may be pleasantly surprised at the sound upgrade and not need all that stuff in the usb chain if you move up to a Mac mini.  I thought there would not be much difference but to me it was a fairly decent surprise.

Back to tinkering................
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back