Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #346 of 3,060
Oh boy...I should not have jumped into this thread.  I have the GR07BEs and I'm super happy with them, but the head-fi effect is always present and being a fan of Audio Technica in general made me order a pair of IM50s.  Given their price point (and availability), they will probably be easier to replace if I ruin them at the gym.  That is what I'm afraid of with my GR07s...I know they are still making the BEs, but I imagine that'll change in the future so finding a suitable gym headphone under 100 is imperative.  Hopefully this one fits the bill.  I'm fairly worried because it looks a bit like the SE215 which would not fit in my ear correctly.  I have a feeling I'm going to have the same fit issue.  

To those that have tried both, are they similar in terms of where the cable leaves the housing?  That part rubbed on my ear and pulled it away from my head on the Shure, so hopefully it's slightly different.  Fingers crossed.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #350 of 3,060
I just posted my review of ATH-IM03 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2687655 (previous review of ATH-IM02 with all the pictures could also be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2676059)

For my sound test I was actually using IM03 with UE900 eartips, yielding a better bass response.  As a mentioned in a number of my previous posts, if you are after one of the best analytical sound signatures - IM02 is the one to consider.  But if you are craving more bass (in comparison to IM02) and want a naturally balanced full bodiy detailed sound - IM03 is a king.  You can't go wrong with either of these, just catered to a different crowd.

Oh, and in my humble opinion - IM03 sound quality is superior to W40 and UE900.  The sound is more detailed, overall better balanced, the soundstage is wider, and vocals delivery shine!!!  And it's cheaper too :wink:

ATH-IM02 next to ATH-IM03

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #352 of 3,060

I just posted my review of ATH-IM03 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2687655 (previous review of ATH-IM02 with all the pictures could also be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2676059)

For my sound test I was actually using IM03 with UE900 eartips, yielding a better bass response.  As a mentioned in a number of my previous posts, if you are after one of the best analytical sound signatures - IM02 is the one to consider.  But if you are craving more bass (in comparison to IM02) and want a naturally balanced full bodiy detailed sound - IM03 is a king.  You can't go wrong with either of these, just catered to a different crowd.

Oh, and in my humble opinion - IM03 sound quality is superior to W40 and UE900.  The sound is more detailed, overall better balanced, the soundstage is wider, and vocals delivery shine!!!  And it's cheaper too :wink:

ATH-IM02 next to ATH-IM03

loved reading your review on the im-03s, tempted to buy it as well.

I do have a question though, doesn't the fiio x5 help the im-02s reach subbass level?

I can hear the subbass pretty well with sony hybrids+ lg g2 sound.

I haven't amped them yet, nor did I use a DAC for them.

I know for sure the im-03s will have more subbass and bass in general, but is the im02s plentiful for someone on a budget?

Btw dsnuts...

if you can find a way to make kakaku work with you

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000585202/shop1396/?lid=shop_itemview_saiyasukakaku

you can buy the im-03s for $280!

Though I have seen them go for $270 on amazon japan before...

I would buy it, but your fx850 review stopped me from thinking about the im-03s.

I might sell the im-02s if this is the case.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #355 of 3,060
Wow, high praise indeed!

The only things I'm not that hot on the T1 is for a very few situations and it so happens that's where the IM70 is pretty good at.  80s music, older concert recordings,  and euro music like depeche mode sound better to me on the IM70.  The T1 has a very wide soundstage and with some concert recordings it can sound too wide.  It also requires better source too which is why my 80s music (hey I'm 46 ok!) sounds real nice with the IM70.  Video games also sound really good with it too.  It just has more oomph in shooting games.  

I'm super tempted to get the IM03 or is the IM04 better for me.  The IM70 does sound a little muddy or sloppy on things like drum solos.  It's not as crisp and impactful compared to a flagship model headphone, but it's still quite the bang for the buck and sounds good for a good amount of the type of music that I listen to.  I have no regrets buying it.  But now I want to see what the better IEMs from AT sound like.

So which out of the IM01,02,03, and 04 has the best and fast hard hitting and decaying bass?  That's probably the one that's for me.  Or should I be looking at the fx850?  Someone please advise!

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #357 of 3,060
  loved reading your review on the im-03s, tempted to buy it as well.

I do have a question though, doesn't the fiio x5 help the im-02s reach subbass level?

I can hear the subbass pretty well with sony hybrids+ lg g2 sound.

I haven't amped them yet, nor did I use a DAC for them.

I know for sure the im-03s will have more subbass and bass in general, but is the im02s plentiful for someone on a budget?

We all have a different perception of a sound :wink:  I do agree that IM02 has a subbass level, but it's of a lesser quantity especially with midrange dominance in these IEMs.  Also, as earfonia pointed out, driving it with a different source will fluctuate that level as well.  Detailed quality is there, but quantity will vary.  With IM03 it's right there in your face and doesn't vary as much driven from my Note 2 or X5 or my laptop.  With IM03 it feels that bass quantity is higher (especially sub bass) and due to a balanced sound signature it comes off louder since you don't have this midrange dominance like in IM02.

X5 has a very neutral signature so it will not boost the bass, just improves the quality.  Of course you can use EQ, but I'm personally hate boosting frequencies because it adds artifacts.  On the other hand, I might try it with E18 where there is a bass boost switch.

Another note to add.  Though I don't consider myself a hardcore audiophile, since I only dipped my feet in high quality headphone world less than a year ago, I have noticed that typically dynamic drivers produce a much warmer sounds in comparison to BA drivers.  In IM03, the subbass and midbass feels almost like a dynamic driver, warm and rounded.  For example, I love my W40 but bass in there a bit colder and mid-bass has a stronger punch (faster attack).  With IM03 it's more laid back, rounded, and warmer.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #358 of 3,060
twist, thanks for your reviews.  it seems like the IM03 hits that TF10 sweet spot.  maybe its time to pawn off some magic cards to buy those...

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #359 of 3,060
How's the treble on IM03? Is it sparkly and tizz-ling like the XBA-30/TF-10? I hope it's smoother because emphasized frequency around 10k-13k is my weakness. Planning to buy these for my bro

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #360 of 3,060
  How's the treble on IM03? Is it sparkly and tizz-ling like the XBA-30/TF-10? I hope it's smoother because emphasized frequency around 10k-13k is my weakness. Planning to buy these for my bro

I can't compare to other ones since I don't own those, but I had my fare share of analytical and way-too-bright IEMs to let you know IM03 treble sparkle is there and detailed enough but very easy on your ears with out being over-emphasized.  Now going between IM02 and IM03, I get a better sense of upper mids/treble quality, and I can appreciate IM03 a lot more :)  But trust me, you don't have to worry about ear fatigue with IM02 either, just IM03 is more balanced and smoother, and sounds more natural and relaxed which is great for extended listening.  In comparison, W40 is too relaxed with a bit of recessed mids and treble roll off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back