Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #316 of 3,060

Don't hurry up and do some tips rolling. Maybe this is said million times but I will repeat again because it is the most important thing for IM50/70s. You'd better find soft wide bore tips like Sony hybrids or Mh650c tips. If you still don't like the sound you can go with IM02/03.

Keep in mind that there is always "ifs" in this hobby. That's why we are here, damn.
biggrin.gif

I looked on amazon and ebay and it looks like there are a lot of fakes out there.  I probably only need medium and saw that the official sony pack has a variety of sizes and I would prefer only getting the size I need, but I also don't want something that is a knock off.  I'll be near a best buy today so I'll drop by and hope that they have it so I can try them  out.  I've never tip rolled before.  I've always used what came with the IEM before.  I really hope that these boost the listening experience and won't make me want to buy a better set of IEM.  I have buying issues.  I'm worse than my girlfriend.  I don't buy a lot of stuff, but when I do it's usually expensive. :frowning2:

I'd still like to listen to a pair of IM02 and IM03 and see how much of a difference there is between them and the IM70 with my phone.  I am so far avoiding the desire to get a dedicated portable music player.  

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #318 of 3,060

Did the upgrade cable change the SQ level for the better?

quoted from cwk88

"my first impression after change to HDC5 cable:
1 word - level-up 
etysmile.gif

smoothness of detail increase, can feel more detail
texture of vocals become more attractive 
can feel the difference when first time using this cable. high, mid, low overall improved

*sorry for noob in describe something 
confused_face.gif
"

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #321 of 3,060
do give it an audition if u have time as SQ is quite subjective. IMO, the vocals are not intimate, but rather more of upfront along with the treble. Vocals are very good and presents how it should sound. If you have listen to audio technica before, their best is definetely in the vocals department. definitely not much coloration and thus, not warmth in nature, but they are analytical. They present how the vocals should sound in the file. Trebles are good and extent well and are very smooth, but do not sparkle, thus its quite easy to listen to without being fatigueing.
Bass is abit on the low side and bass head might be disappointed. But since i prefer not so much bass, its good enough for me.

Another amazing thing about im02 is its sound stage. If u are looking for good sound stage, im02 will not dissapoint u. It seems to have better sound stage and instrumental seperation than my ath es7. (Note that i am comparing headphones to iem for the soundstage.)

Thanks that really helped :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #324 of 3,060
  Gonna order my IM-02 from accessory jack soon. Was wondering what tips are best for them as I've heard the ones they provide are not good. Thanks

Sony hybrids

Ultimate Ears 900 tips from their website (they're replacement tips)

Monster gel tips

that's about as much as I can help you with.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #325 of 3,060
  Thanks that really helped :)

Please do get it if you are considering the im-02s, they're deifnitely worth it

With the right player and amplifier, you can get good and powerful bass that has the sweetest, textured, tight sound that is addicting!!

Hopefully i'm not the only one that hears it that way...

Amd the mids are pretty euphonic, with the crispy treble that I so enjoy, while keeping the soundstage pretty wide and tall.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #326 of 3,060
  Please do get it if you are considering the im-02s, they're deifnitely worth it

With the right player and amplifier, you can get good and powerful bass that has the sweetest, textured, tight sound that is addicting!!

Hopefully i'm not the only one that hears it that way...

Amd the mids are pretty euphonic, with the crispy treble that I so enjoy, while keeping the soundstage pretty wide and tall.

Yeah, the IM02's does look really good. The price is reasonable and it seems to perform above it's price point. Which is definitely what i'm looking for at the moment, since i get a little paranoid to take out the CK100's on my commute.

I see that you have the EQ-5, (I have a EQ-7) just wondering how does it compare to the IM02's?   

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #327 of 3,060
  Sony hybrids

Ultimate Ears 900 tips from their website (they're replacement tips)

Monster gel tips

that's about as much as I can help you with.

Which one gives you a better bass response?  I tried UE900 tips with IM02 and IM03, and it definitely improves quantity of bass.  Don't have Sony hybrids, but wondering if they will perform the same as UE900 tips or better?

Btw, IM03 review coming soon :wink:  In one sentence summary: if you are looking for the best analytical sound (Etymotic style) which is still easy on your ears, IM02 is the best choice; but if you want MORE bass and were ever considering W40 - IM03 is the way to go because from my initial test last night after about 5hr of burn in, IM03 stepped all over W40 (using UE900 tips) :wink:

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #329 of 3,060
The IM70 has a ton of bass.  In certain situations, it sounds better than my over $1,000 modded beyerdynamic T1 and $400 toxic cable.   I'm now debating selling it and getting a IM03 and a cheaper headphone.   AT has a winner with these IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back