Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #331 of 3,060
  Anyone know where one could purchase UE900 tips?

http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.60213000

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #332 of 3,060
  Gonna order my IM-02 from accessory jack soon. Was wondering what tips are best for them as I've heard the ones they provide are not good. Thanks

Might wanna go CDjapan unless AJ lowered the price. They were about $10 more on the IM-02 plus CDjapan is giving 10x the points on AT stuff so you'll have $18 or so off the next purchase. $199 vs $186 right now...http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/campaign/gadget_atpointoffer

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #333 of 3,060
I am in the process of ordering the IM02 from Rakuten Global, they offer a version with the new updated cable, for $258. The cable alone is worth $90.
They have a similar deal with the im03's.

Not sure about the mailing cost though, waiting on an email to let me know.

I originally ordered the IM03 from Ebay, at the time of ordered, the total price was basically the same as Amazon Japan plus tenso's shipping price. Not sure if that is still true.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #334 of 3,060
  I am in the process of ordering the IM02 from Rakuten Global, they offer a version with the new updated cable, for $258. The cable alone is worth $90.

I originally ordered the IM03 from Ebay, at the time of ordered, the total price was basically the same as Amazon Japan plus tenso's shipping price. Not sure if that is still true.

Not to try and scare you but I hope those Rakuten CC issues are settled.
http://rakutenfraud.com/tell-your-story/#.Uynq9c6mVuE

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #336 of 3,060
Mar 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #337 of 3,060

That sounds like a good deal, getting HDC5 cable for about $55 (considering current price of IM02 of around $203 on amazon).  I was never a believer in replacement cables until I tried FiiO RC-SE1 on my W40, and couldn't believe my ears.  From what you guys describing, HDC5 will do the same magic on IM02/03.  Or, I might have to start pinging FiiO guys to make RC-IM1 replacement cables lol!!!

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #338 of 3,060
Better safe than sorry :) 

Yep, that IM02 deal is better than the IM-03 one, which isn't much of a deal.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #339 of 3,060
  Ok now I'm confuse whether to get ATH IM02 or IM03. 
confused.gif

Actually, the decision is easier than you think because these headphones have a noticeably different sound signature.  IM02 - is bright analytical with lesser bass quantity, IM03 - is warm balanced with more bass.  Both are very detailed across entire frequency range, and have an amazing focus on vocals.  If you would be forced to sell all of your headphones and buy only one to cover every single need, IM03 would be my choice.  But if you have other headphones in your collection and craving for this one analytical gem that not going to hurt your ears over extended period of listening - IM02 is the way to go.  Just my humble opinion.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #340 of 3,060
  quoted from cwk88

"my first impression after change to HDC5 cable:
1 word - level-up 
etysmile.gif

smoothness of detail increase, can feel more detail
texture of vocals become more attractive 
can feel the difference when first time using this cable. high, mid, low overall improved

*sorry for noob in describe something 
confused_face.gif
"

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the cable. Sounds very promising.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #341 of 3,060
Which one gives you a better bass response?  I tried UE900 tips with IM02 and IM03, and it definitely improves quantity of bass.  Don't have Sony hybrids, but wondering if they will perform the same as UE900 tips or better?

Btw, IM03 review coming soon :wink:  In one sentence summary: if you are looking for the best analytical sound (Etymotic style) which is still easy on your ears, IM02 is the best choice; but if you want MORE bass and were ever considering W40 - IM03 is the way to go because from my initial test last night after about 5hr of burn in, IM03 stepped all over W40 (using UE900 tips) :wink:

The sony hybrids pinpoints bass better than stock, makes it more 3d sounding, and keeps the same bass quantity, if not, a little more than stock. It also isolates better than stock tips.

The ue900 gives the better bass response, keeps everyrhin detailed, and are damn comfy!

The hybrids help provide a better balance as it relaxes the mids a bit, helping you gain a better balance of mids and bass, while keeping the highs in check. Not the same, sorry :/

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #342 of 3,060
Actually, after reunserting the hybrids,i found out thati didnt get a good seal.

They have almost the same amount of bass as the ue900s, a bit less detailed than the ue900 tip form, but it does providea better balance. You should try to get some hybris when you can, they sound great!

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #343 of 3,060
  Yeah, the IM02's does look really good. The price is reasonable and it seems to perform above it's price point. Which is definitely what i'm looking for at the moment, since i get a little paranoid to take out the CK100's on my commute.

I see that you have the EQ-5, (I have a EQ-7) just wondering how does it compare to the IM02's?   

Ooooohhh they fall behind the im-02s by quite a bit.

IM02 VS Ortofon - EQ5

Song to test female vocals, guitars, treble, piano, thickness, bass, and soundstage.

Yasashisa no Riyuu, from this link.

Beautiful song it is.

Im02 - BASS: Now, I thought the bass would not show up in this song that well, but it does with gusto! the drums from this track are awesome, though it is the same rhythm. The im02's drumming power has more weight and balance than the eq-5s. The drums and bass are near equal in db to the highs and mids. The texture and tightness of the bass is impeccable, while having a sweet sound to it that makes it slightly warm and smooth. 

MIDS: The females who sang this sound so angelic, they're pretty much there in front of you singing a lullaby. Their voices are airy with the im02, smooth, but also pretty clear. The clarity is astounding for having a smooth sound, and not to forget the instruments playing as well. The guitars are more detailed on the im02s, have a bit more crunch, but also have the thickness to help them sound natural, the timbre is better on the im02s. The piano has a great tone and weight to it as well, you can easily hear a change of pitch on the im02s, even on the eq-5, but somehow, the im02 sounded better, possibly due to the forwardness of the mids. Not that much of a fowardness, but a bit nonetheless.

Highs - The cymbals, oh man, they sounded pretty powerful and crisp, yet still smooth for your ears to enjoy. This is a big difference with the im02s as their highs are well extended, and detailed to the point where it reaches the bright limit. It's slightly bright, but no silibance at all. There is awesome texture on the cymbals, and the striking power of the cymbals here are easier to note on the im02s than the eq-5s.

EQ-5 - BASS: Again, the bass is plentiful here, and I have to say, it is impressive how the im02s have similar bass quantity to the eq-5, but since the eq-5's bass is smoother and thinner (the im02's bass is definitely a bit more thicker and not as lean), the bass on the eq-5 would need to ramp up its db to appease an audiophile's crave for bass. The im02 does a decent job at this. The drums sound a bit more dull and thin on the eq-5s than the im02s, and aren't as detailed either. The staging on the eq-5 is cleaner than the im02s due to the thinness, but the im02s have just as good of a clean sound sig as other ba phones.

Mids: It's smooooooth, buttery smooth, not liquid smooth, but damn...it's good. The im02s pale in comparison, but the sacrifice for such lush mids are the details you get to hear from the vocals and instrument timbre. It's not as accurate as the im02s because of this, and the clarity does not disappoint, but for similar pricing to the audio technica offering, it's better to spend the money on the im02 for more detail and a smooth sound sig. Instruments are not harder to discern with the eq-5s, but the weight is gone, and female vocals aren't as forward or airy. That's probably the culprit of the sound sig in the mids, nothing in the sound sig is as airy as the im02s, it feels more enclosed than the im02s, but it is airy enough to compete with other single bas. The guitars aren't as crunchy or as detailed as the im02s, but it is pretty detailed in its own right, just that the smooth sound sig did deteriorate the guitar. When you drink water, you enjoy the feeling of the liquid passing through you, that's how the eqs sound like. The im02s are like how ice cream goes through your throat, you feel the ice cream turn to liquid, but before that, you get that creamy taste as you swallow. That's what the im02s are.

Highs - The cymbals are a bit more....ehh..not plasticky, but definitely not as real or airy as the im02s, especially in the detail. The highs are also too smooth, and pretty thin that you won't hear as much of a depth and great micro details like the im02s. The power of the cymbals also get detracted because of the smoothness, no matter how hard they strike, it'll sound weak and thin. It's also slightly bright, but not as detailed as the im02s, texture is decent, not as great as the im02s, and the fullness is missing again. :frowning2: it's good though!

Soundstage: IN terms of size, they're similar, but the im02s take the cake by being a bit more wider and taller. The imaging is great on both, but I give the nod to the im02s, especially since I have an easier time hearing the positioning on them than the eq-5s. The eq-5s's thinner sound makes the soundstage sound cleaner, however, which makes image picking easier for the listener, but at the cost of losing the immersion of the im02's. Despite that, the im02s still beat it at soundstage depth and width.

Any questions? Concerns? Want me to make it a bit more simpler?
Sorry for that triple post, won't happen again.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #344 of 3,060
Out of curiosity, did anyone try to remove the filters on IM50 or change to Ortofon e-Q5 filters? It is more detailed and cleaner that way. The filter on IM50 is a little bit thick and muffles the sound. It is quite noticeable once you remove the filters or apply e-Q5 filters. I now use it with e-Q5 filters and there is no way back.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #345 of 3,060
I really want to get the im03 but I will have to sell something first. My girlfriend is getting mad at me for buying all this headphone and amps. I might sell my t1 and get the im03 and a cheaper full sized set of cans. Maybe some grado's since I like 80s rock/heavy metal.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back