Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 25, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #378 of 3,060
Anyone know how well the Im70 compares to the Re-400? I believe the Im70 is better built, but wondering on sound.

I supposed both have a very different sound signature.. Can't really stretch such a comparison. I have the IM50 and RE272 if that does help.. RE272 is really on the ruler flat side of sound with minimal bass emphasis and detailed sound. IM50 is bass boosted with a colored mids. Detail retrieval is good but no match for RE272. Can't really compare between them. But they will be sure a good compliment for each other. :)

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #380 of 3,060
I'm deciding between the IM02 and IM03. The best prices I can find are $220AUD for the IM02 and $378 for the 03, so a pretty big difference.

At the beginning of last year I got some RE400s, I really liked them, great value, nice relaxed and forgiving presentation but not muddy or bloated at all. But I found myself wanting a bit more detail, separation and soundstage. I did a bunch of research and ended up going for the DBA02-IIs. They had the extra detail I was after but were far too hot and harsh in the treble. So what I'm looking for is detail but without harshness.

Other phones I like are ER-4S (would be everything I want except I can't tolerate the deep insertion)
ATH-AD2000X love these, so easy to drive and great sounding.
B&O H6, best closed portable I've had.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #381 of 3,060
  I'm deciding between the IM02 and IM03. The best prices I can find are $220AUD for the IM02 and $378 for the 03, so a pretty big difference.

At the beginning of last year I got some RE400s, I really liked them, great value, nice relaxed and forgiving presentation but not muddy or bloated at all. But I found myself wanting a bit more detail, separation and soundstage. I did a bunch of research and ended up going for the DBA02-IIs. They had the extra detail I was after but were far too hot and harsh in the treble. So what I'm looking for is detail but without harshness.

Other phones I like are ER-4S (would be everything I want except I can't tolerate the deep insertion)

Considering your reference to Ety and Re400 and other requirements, it definitely sounds like you are more after a brighter analytical detailed sound with transparency and soundstage, and don't care much about bass quantity.  IM02 will suite you better for that.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #382 of 3,060
If you liked Ety Er4s you will absolutely love how IM02 sounds. It is also much better than RE400s which isn't in the same league. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #383 of 3,060

Chuya through Rakuten Global was selling them for $168USD free international shipping as well. If $220AUD is currently $199US then $168 would seem to be a better price
ksc75smile.gif
  though this might not help depending on customs or other factors.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #384 of 3,060

CDjapan has IM02 for about 200 AUD excluding delivery, they are fast and reliable, I ordered my IM70 from them and received them within a week

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #385 of 3,060

Chuya through Rakuten Global was selling them for $168USD free international shipping as well. If $220AUD is currently $199US then $168 would seem to be a better price
ksc75smile.gif

Damn, I was on their website last night looking at the mic cable, but didn't check the price of the IM02. I ordered through eBay, I will see if I can cancel that and buy from Rakuten.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #386 of 3,060

ksc75smile.gif

http://dealnews.com/features/Have-You-Experienced-Credit-Card-Fraud-After-Buying-at-Rakuten-/748035.html 

Not sure if buying from Rakuten is safe.  

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #387 of 3,060
This was covered earlier in the thread.
Use Paypal and you should be safe.

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #388 of 3,060

ksc75smile.gif

Did you buy them from Rakuten? How long did they take to get back to you with the shipping quote and order confirmation?

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #389 of 3,060

Did you buy them from Rakuten? How long did they take to get back to you with the shipping quote and order confirmation?

Only more recently have Rakuten Global selection gotten better as far as sellers shipping international themselves so the Tenso had to be added. So, I have been a CDjapan man lately and also AJ a couple of times. Quite tempted by the price but haven't ordered the IM02 or anything besides the BLOX lately. One day I think I could get the IM02, maybe the Doppio, or the TE-05, or wait for the next big thing that's gonna pop up.   

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #390 of 3,060
Only more recently have Rakuten Global selection gotten better as far as sellers shipping international themselves so the Tenso had to be added. So, I have been a CDjapan man lately and also AJ a couple of times. Quite tempted by the price but haven't ordered the IM02 or anything besides the BLOX lately. One day I think I could get the IM02, maybe the Doppio, or the TE-05, or wait for the next big thing that's gonna pop up.   

They've been in touch now, they're saying the stock will be in in 4-5 days. I ordered the mic cable as well thinking the shipping would be free but I think the free shipping a special deal on the phones only. Hopefully they'll stick it all in together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back