Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Dec 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #391 of 695
In some cases, the extra air around my speakers let me hear more in the music vs. my headphones (hard to describe better). These are with my Mirage M7si towers which I got on Craigslist for $180 which is less than most decent headphones.

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #392 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it's quite easy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed, but might I add, it depends on your system....mine is more than up to the task and is in continual upgrade mode (mostly DIY).

Peete.

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #393 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you request either PMD100 or DF1704 or both with DAC9? It seems that they are user swappable with DAC19MK3 and I assumed that you can do so with DAC9MK3, can't you?

Thanks!!

Here is what Kingwa said in my inquiry:

"Yes we can make the DAC9MK3 by PMD100 but it can't change back to DF1704".

Sounds like its an option but it will not be user swappable. Gotta live with your decisions....

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #394 of 695
Here is what he said to me:

The DAC9MK3 original is install PMD100. But later some oversea customers complain it can't accept 96K input, so we change the oversea version to DF1704, but I still think PMD100 sound is superb than DF1704, so the China version still install PMD100.
In DAC9MK3 can't exchange between PMD100 and DF1704 easy. It need some change . and around half hour for exchange.

He said he will send me the instrucctions and i'm still waiting for them. I hope it's easy.

I really like the DAC9MK3 as is now with PMD100 sounds great!!!!!, if it's to much difficult to do the change i will not swap the filters.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #395 of 695
Thanks for the caution on swapping chips. I'll bear that in mind.

For those who get DAC9MK3: I would like to know your justification to get it instead of Reference One.

(Sorry, I know it is DAC19MK3 thread, but it seems users of DAC9MK3 also shows up here
redface.gif
)

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #396 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the caution on swapping chips. I'll bear that in mind.

For those who get DAC9MK3: I would like to know your justification to get it instead of Reference One.

(Sorry, I know it is DAC19MK3 thread, but it seems users of DAC9MK3 also shows up here
redface.gif
)

There are 2 logical reasons to choose the dac9mk3 over the Reference-1

1. dac9mk3 is cheaper (by $450) than the Reference-1
2. dac9mk3 can decode HDCD (with the PMD100 module) but the DSP1 cannot.

Anyway, you should ask directly Kingwa who is the only one (to my knowledge) who has listened to both. He is very helpful and his answers were always accurate.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #398 of 695
For me it's a matter of my system natural limitations the Ref 1 is overkill, you need ACSS to get the full resolution.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #399 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulioCat2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it's a matter of my system natural limitations the Ref 1 is overkill, you need ACSS to get the full resolution.

Would there really be a difference in resolution between the DAC-9MK3 and the Reference One?

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #400 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulioCat2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought both DAC9 and Ref 1 has ACSS implemented and ACSS output. Their performance should be similar except the DSP in Ref 1 helps on the jitter rejection and sampling conversion, isn't it?

I am aiming for DAC9 but want to make sure I won't miss too much. The plan is to use ACSS to feed my Phoenix.

I am also hesitating because of its large size (it should be exact the same size as Ref 1, right? And that is about 48 x 40 x 9 cm according to my memory reading post somewhere. Is it correct?)

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #401 of 695
Unless you are going balanced probably the DAC-3SE is the logical upgrade to the 19MK3. Emails from Audigon suggest that the Dac9mk3 is really mainly an upgrade for balanced systems. the 3SE has a diamond output circuit which should be a big step up. I'm not sold on the DSP-1 so I would get the PMD100 version.

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #402 of 695
Here's something that blew my mind. In audiophile circles one "test" for DAC's is Patricia Barbers Companion album. Every DAC I've thrown at it in the past few years has bad sibilance on these songs, I gave up thinking it was some sort of audiophile myth to not have sibilance, had to be a bad recording. With the Dac19MK3 there is no sibilance even with freakin Grados, absolutely stunning.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #403 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you are going balanced probably the DAC-3SE is the logical upgrade to the 19MK3. Emails from Audigon suggest that the Dac9mk3 is really mainly an upgrade for balanced systems. the 3SE has a diamond output circuit which should be a big step up. I'm not sold on the DSP-1 so I would get the PMD100 version.

I am so impressed with the performance of my 19MK3 that i regret not having ordered the 3SE for an extra $235 instead
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #404 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am so impressed with the performance of my 19MK3 that i regret not having ordered the 3SE for an extra $235 instead
frown.gif

yea but who knows the 19MK3 could be better. Diamond differential stages are diffult to design and pull off.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #405 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea but who knows the 19MK3 could be better. Diamond differential stages are diffult to design and pull off.

According to Kingwa, the dac-19mk3 was designed to be neutral (monitor like is the term he used), while the dac 3 SE is designed to be warmer and more musical. So, they shouldn't be considered as a direct upgrade.

As far as I understand there are 2 groups of dacs in the audio-gd line-up.
Group 1 - "neutral" : dac-19mk3, dac-9mk3, reference-1
Group 2 - "warm"/"musical" : dac-3se, dac-3dv, reference-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back